Want to upgrade from O2+ODAC for LCD-2.2F

FatEskimo97

Probably what he/she was referring to was voltage vs current. Voltage determines how loud the speaker/headphone will go, but it gotta be backed up with enough amount of current to 'drive it properly'. Not enough current results in a very bad overall sounds. Easy way to test this is to plug a middle-sensitivity (don't use IEM) headphone to a 'line out' jack. You'll get sound, but it'll be very bad, due to sever lack of current.

'Power' is the combination of those two, voltage and current, more precisely voltage X current.

Ok so if I wanted a to upgrade I would look for something with higher voltage?

CPU: i7-5820k | Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe | RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 | Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive; Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | Audio: Audeze LCD​-2; Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC

Get a new amp and see if you can notice the different. If you dont notice any difference, return it.

No, the LCD2 needs lots of current. Good news is the O2 can provide plenty.

Probably what he/she was referring to was voltage vs current. Voltage determines how loud the speaker/headphone will go, but it gotta be backed up with enough amount of current to 'drive it properly'. Not enough current results in a very bad overall sounds. Easy way to test this is to plug a middle-sensitivity (don't use IEM) headphone to a 'line out' jack. You'll get sound, but it'll be very bad, due to sever lack of current.

'Power' is the combination of those two, voltage and current, more precisely voltage X current. 

He doesn't know what he's referring to at all. "Fullness" is a low-mid frequency characteristic, fullness or a lack thereof isn't an indicator of clipping.

Planar's performance rely more on stable supply of currents. 

Usually brands/companies don't list the max current output of their product (although some do), so just look at the other parameter, which is max voltage and max power output at X ohm.

For example, my Aune T1 doesn't list the max current output, but it list:

- max voltage: 20V

- max power @32 ohms: 1W. 

This means the max current at 32 ohms is 50mA, which is quite a lot, in headphone's context. 

No, the LCD2 needs lots of current. Good news is the O2 can provide plenty.

He doesn't know what he's referring to at all. "Fullness" is a low-mid frequency characteristic, fullness or a lack thereof isn't an indicator of clipping.

Perhaps what that guy was referring to as 'fullness' is something like this: https://soundcloud.com/marcus-sudjojo/line-out

Just recorded that one. There are 2 parts in continuous flow

- first part is ipad => bluetooth adapter, which output at line level

- second part is ipad => bluetooth adapter => E6, with small volume, matching the bluetooth adapter

- edited in audacity, with my best effort of level-matching the 2 parts (based on the peaks). Obviously amplified later on, due to the bluetooth adapter being very quiet when plugged straight off HE400

To OP: of course this is an extreme example of contrast. In reality, amp A vs amp B won't give that much of a contrast, provided they're about the same class and power rating. 

Edit1: wait, just realized the level between the 2 is far off on soundcloud. I'll try correcting it, then re upload it....

Edit2: re-uploaded, link fixed.

Perhaps what that guy was referring to as 'fullness' is something like this: https://soundcloud.com/marcus-sudjojo/lineout

Just recorded that one. There are 2 parts in continuous flow

- first part is ipad => bluetooth adapter, which output at line level

- second part is ipad => bluetooth adapter => E6, with small volume, matching the bluetooth adapter

- edited in audacity, with my best effort of level-matching the 2 parts (based on the peaks). Obviously amplified later on, due to the bluetooth adapter being very quiet when plugged straight off HE400

To OP: of course this is an extreme example of contrast. In reality, amp A vs amp B won't give that much of a contrast, provided they're about the same class and power rating. 

Edit1: wait, just realized the level between the 2 is far off on soundcloud. I'll try correcting it, then re upload it....

Link doesn't work.

Link doesn't work.

Yeah, changed the file name, so the link automatically changed: https://soundcloud.com/marcus-sudjojo/line-out

Can't play it here (it could, a few minutes ago), perhaps browser error, perhaps the soundcloud file server is down

Edit: turned out to be browser error. Link's working fine now.

I generally think if it'll power the headphone to 105-110 dB or more, it's powerful enough

There's always this...

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

There's always this...

You think you had it bad...

https://youtu.be/D00DtAimX3Q

Just count how many steps I took to get there. And that's not even on the highest gain of the Aune T1. 

Just count how many steps I took to get there. And that's not even on the highest gain of the Aune T1. 

WHAT THE FUCK

HAHAHAHAHAHA

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

You were still in the same room, I closed my door and walked into another room and you could still hear it...

Is there a specification limit for how high the DB on the He-400 can be?

The LCD-2's spec is 130DB apparently, and I had the Lyr at 100%, which would be ~4 watts about into the 70 ohms, perhaps @Dark_wizzie will know how many DB that is.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You were still in the same room, I closed my door and walked into another room and you could still hear it...

The LCD-2's spec is 130DB apparently, and I had the Lyr at 100%, which would be ~4 watts about into the 70 ohms, perhaps @Dark_wizzie will know how many DB that is.

A bit of googling said that the max input of HE-400 is 1000mW, which means about 122.5dB by theory, but in reality, I doubt it will get to that point without breaking a membrane....

132dB.

Somewhere between 130-135dB.

I dare you to put it on your head while listening to moosic @ max volume.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Your ears be like...

il_probool_glass_shatter.jpg

Not with that thing I mentioned earlier tho. You know full-sized clubs' speakers, those that are bigger and higher than humans?  Well, I practically hug those when going in a trip.... :D

* past tense tho....

Not with that thing I mentioned earlier tho. You know full-sized clubs' speakers, those that are bigger and higher than humans?  Well, I practically hug those when going in a trip.... :D

* past tense tho....

And for me, 85dB is already too loud and will make my ears hurt after a while...

Somewhere between 130-135dB.

I dare you to put it on your head while listening to moosic @ max volume.

I did it with same volume as in the video a few times..

Lets just say it was LOUD as hell and painful lol, and usually my ears hurt for a while after :(

I used to do it, but then turn down treble+mids with EQ, and the seal was so good it'd pull my ears back and forth with the low-bass frequencies.

That was quite fun :D

Yeah, changed the file name, so the link automatically changed: https://soundcloud.com/marcus-sudjojo/line-out

Can't play it here (it could, a few minutes ago), perhaps browser error, perhaps the soundcloud file server is down

Edit: turned out to be browser error. Link's working fine now.

Well, that's why you don't want to run headphones from line out. The topology of the bluetooth device is such that it rolls off bass when presented with the low impedance of a headphone load. Most line-ins have input impedance on the order of tens of thousands of ohms.

This doesn't have anything to do with amplifier power, though, because running from line-out is not amped at all.

If I want to upgrade my amp to a Lyr2 but want to use the ODAC which is part of the O2+ODAC combo, I can just use the analog line out->Lyr, right?

CPU: i7-5820k | Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe | RAM: 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 | Storage: Samsung XP941 Series 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive; Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 | Audio: Audeze LCD​-2; Mayflower Electronics O2+ODAC

If I want to upgrade my amp to a Lyr2 but want to use the ODAC which is part of the O2+ODAC combo, I can just use the analog line out->Lyr, right?

Hope you realize the Lyr is a tube amp and will colour the sound

dude how many times do we have to tell you, dont waste your money

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Hope you realize the Lyr is a tube amp and will colour the sound

dude how many times do we have to tell you, dont waste your money

Oh let em waste their money, I'm not paying for it.

You can. Amazon sells the lyr 2. You could just buy it and return it if you don't like it. They may also have the original lyr for much cheaper. I used the lyr for my LCD-2s and they sounded great through it. Unsure how it would compare to your current setup though since I went from no amp to the lyr based on recommendations. The lyr is made with planar magnetic headphones in mind. The tubes definitely color the sound though, which I don't mind. Beyond that, I tried a few other allegedly better amps and couldn't tell the difference outside of the lack of color the tubes were adding. At this point I don't see myself getting rid of it.

Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.