NAB 2015- Red Weapon Announced

Olivertheguy

I get that it is expensive but not 15k expensive. Why would a studio who may be buying several weapons drop an extra 15k per body for what, weight savings, heat resistance. What do you care about 200g less weight when that is probably only around -5% of the total weight of the rig. 15K for a small weight savings sounds like an irresponsible allocation of money.

It might be more than 200g. Weight savings on a mobile rig matter if someone will use this hand held, which REDs are notoriously famous for.

People spend upwards of 200k on carbon fibre on cars to save a few pounds, just for lap times. It's not irresponsible if you truly have a need.

It might be more than 200g. Weight savings on a mobile rig matter if someone will use this hand held, which REDs are notoriously famous for.

People spend upwards of 200k on carbon fibre on cars to save a few pounds, just for lap times. It's not irresponsible if you truly have a need.

On a mobile rig does it really matter though if you could spend less than the 15k to change out some other part of the rig to achieve the same weight savings. Also in blind tests i would be that nobody could actually tell the difference between CF and mag in a full rig and any increase in the users ability to carry the rig for an extended period of time could be put down to margin of error at that weight difference. If i was to take a guess I would say that the weight savings going from mag to CF would be less than 1kg. The thing is not that big and magnesium

is not that heavy

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.