How can/do I set up an automatic backup to a NAS? Using ReadyNAS NAS.

ZacDaMan72
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Is it 'File History?' I already have that set up to copy to an external hard drive. Can I make it work with both my external hard drive and NAS?

In Windows 8.1 under File History, go to the lower left hand corner. You should see an option for a System Image Backup.

As the topic title says. I am wanting to save a backup of my documents and music to my ReadyNAS NAS. Is it possible to do this in the OS or will I need to use some utilities? Running Windows 8.1 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. And yeah I'm back for now :)

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I think Windows let's you select the destination and folders to backup that you can set to your NAS. Doesn't hurt to look and find out.

As the topic title says. I am wanting to save a backup of my documents and music to my ReadyNAS NAS. Is it possible to do this in the OS or will I need to use some utilities? Running Windows 8.1 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

NAS is used to clone the entire drive, but, I really didn't hear about ready nas... Using a simple linux system set up as nas os.

FreeNas is the most popular and user-friendly os tho.

I think Windows let's you select the destination and folders to backup that you can set to your NAS. Doesn't hurt to look and find out.

Is it 'File History?' I already have that set up to copy to an external hard drive. Can I make it work with both my external hard drive and NAS?

NAS is used to clone the entire drive, but, I really didn't hear about ready nas... Using a simple linux system set up as nas os.

FreeNas is the most popular and user-friendly os tho.

ReadyNAS is a brand of NAS systems, so it's not a real PC.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

I mean using the stock Windows backup program, it should let you choose your NAS as a storage place and what specifically you want to backup.

post-1744-0-42234300-1428895383.jpg

post-1744-0-07155700-1428895387.jpg

post-1744-0-14617400-1428895392.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Just use windows, usually works well (i see thats aready been reccomended).

If you need something more.... I use a program called Bvackup (yes, with a V) - its super light and simple. works well. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I mean using the stock Windows backup program, it should let you choose your NAS as a storage place and what specifically you want to backup.

snip

I don't think Windows 8.1 has that :(

c8ddf79aa644b4524d83a693a1d5ac6f.png

In Windows 8.1 under File History, go to the lower left hand corner. You should see an option for a System Image Backup.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thank you! I'm assuming I can get this to work automatically with the event maker or whatever its called?

Thank you! I'm assuming I can get this to work automatically with the event maker or whatever its called?

You should be able to schedule it when setting up the backup.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch