Russia makes certain memes illegal

Any human being on earth has the right of "Freedom of Speech". That right is not granted by any Constitution or government!

Every totalitarian state on the planet would disagree with you.  The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights treaty that was adopted in 1948 has almost never been enforceable.  It's not uncommon for heavy handed regimes to drop the gauntlet on any dissent from it's citizens.  

Breathing air is a human right but that doesn't stop crooked institutions, even governments, cutting your throat or removing your head.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

No necessarily true. The one with the most power, is only capable of making the rules, so long as those beneath him continue to kowtow to that power. Most people do have a breaking point, at which they would rather die, or resist, rather than submit. Also, human rights are considered to be inborn, not given to you. No aliens would have to give them to you. They're yours by right of birth, of simply being human.

Also, way to defend totalitarianism.

...But only enforceable by a strong government.  If it isn't there, what ever "right" you think you have is irrelevant.  

I don't think anyone defends totalitarianism here, we're all debating semantics here.  We're gonna talk each other in circles... 

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

...But only enforceable by a strong government.  If it isn't there, what ever "right" you think you have is irrelevant.  

I don't think anyone defends totalitarianism here, we're all debating semantics here.  We're gonna talk each other in circles... 

I am more than capable of enforcing my own human rights, to the death if necessary.

Rights depend upon your willingness to defend them, not upon a government giving them to you.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You mean the US constitution? That only applies to the US. Other countries has their own constitutions but they are not the same as the US.

I really wasn't very clear.  /s added

I don't think Norman was serious guys.

QFT

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Rights depend upon your willingness to defend them, not upon a government giving them to you.

Exactly.  But we're not talking about the micro here, the macro is what's being debated.  Governments are formed by its people (or should be, at least).  The people, like yourself and I, should always demand our government to acknowledge our human rights.  If they aren't willing to enforce and defend them, it's all on us.  

Exactly.  But we're not talking about the micro here, the macro is what's being debated.  Governments are formed by its people (or should be, at least).  The people, like yourself and I, should always demand our government to acknowledge our human rights.  If they aren't willing to enforce and defend them, it's all on us.  

All on us to begin with. We (the people, in general) don't pay any attention to what congress actually does, and as a result, we are on a very slippery slope that ends in totalitarianism.

How about we just make all shitty memes illegal.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

How about we just make all shitty memes illegal.

tumblr_m6573mORCs1qco187o1_1280.jpg

you were just asking for that one.

Russia is pathetic and has been this way for a long time. Guess thats what happens when you kill all your artists, philosophers and bright thinkers.

Oh, and when the most heard political opinion heard in the country is "Russians need a strong man to rule them", you don't deserve better......

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Go home, Russia, you're drunk.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Lol wow. Well it's pretty hard to control the internet, even with laws in place. This is more a deterrent than anything. Sometimes locking things down on the internet causes more to spring up. If you want the meme to stop, let people get bored with it, till it dies down. Like I almost forgot about to the Putin memes. But you know what, imma look through a bunch of them cause the topic came back up. Eat that Putin! :P

I mean...I love you Putin, don't send a hitman on me...love your face...mother russia...

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Russia/China/Iran/NK please facetank a meteor shower.Where is natural disaster when you need it.

unfortunately the only way i think were going to be able to get countries like Russia, China to change is to simply lead by example, we need our countries to become bastions for the ideals they claim, then over time we just have to wait for power structures to change and slowly things will get better. we need more projects like the EU to breakdown the borders between people to make people think as a group beyond there country and instead just as humans.

CCPU5e-UsAACUMi.jpg

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

the UN declared it a human right along with the right to education etc

Yea, because the UN is really powerful right now. They can totally tell russia what to do 

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Any human being on earth has the right of "Freedom of Speech". That right is not granted by any Constitution or governement!

Well most people would argue that you are wrong there. 

"Human rights" is exactly just laws and constitutions granted by govenments, there is no basic law of nature that states that a human has any rights what so ever, the only "rights" a human has, in natures eyes, is whatever "right" said human is able to enforce themselves.

Yea, because the UN is really powerful right now. They can totally tell russia what to do 

i used to think that the UN is weak and doesnt do anything until i took an international relations class. to see the power of the UN all you need to look at is the economy of russia right now

i used to think that the UN is weak and doesnt do anything until i took an international relations class. to see the power of the UN all you need to look at is the economy of russia right now

That only happened because the UN is strongly western biased. If the UN tried to do something like that to say, the united states, nothing would happen because all the nations actually doing the sanctions wouldn't do it.

The UN is really just a big group of people making suggestions

I like what the UN is meant to represent, but don't much like the fact that nothing they set forth is binding unless its member nations decide to follow the guidelines... Damned nations and their imagined sovereignty.
The distribution of power within the UN though.... So very primitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPSvIz9NDs

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

That only happened because the UN is strongly western biased. If the UN tried to do something like that to say, the united states, nothing would happen because all the nations actually doing the sanctions wouldn't do it.

The UN is really just a big group of people making suggestions

I like what the UN is meant to represent, but don't much like the fact that nothing they set forth is binding unless its member nations decide to follow the guidelines... Damned nations and their imagined sovereignty.

The distribution of power within the UN though.... So very primitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPSvIz9NDs

un resolutions may not be binding but i see their importance in bringing together ideas from different countries and setting an plan to do things like fight human trafficking, drug trafficking, and other things as a group and pooling resources instead of trying to deal with everything on your own. and UN has a lot of important systems for example many times when writing a treaty between two countries that is binding we rely on the UN international court to judge and settle disputes about the treaty. there is also the world bank, UNICEF, etc. from my time as germany the UN was easily the single most important entity that i interacted with of course that may differ from country to country

un resolutions may not be binding but i see their importance in bringing together ideas from different countries and setting an plan to do things like fight human trafficking, drug trafficking, and other things as a group and pooling resources instead of trying to deal with everything on your own. and UN has a lot of important systems for example many times when writing a treaty between two countries that is binding we rely on the UN international court to judge and settle disputes about the treaty. there is also the world bank, UNICEF, etc

Certainly, I don't discount what you've said at all. As someone who believes strongly that Humanity would be better off united I can't disagree with the existence of the UN.

UNICEF and other important endeavours aside though, there are some fairly important things that need to be changed in terms of how voting and vetoing is done.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

This law is illegal in itself.

It limits people from expressing their opinions, therefor violating the human right of "Freedom of speech"

does not exist in russia

Huh? Freedom of speech is a HUMAN RIGHT, not a right granted by some Constitution.

Yes it is granted by "some constitution", wether you want to believe it or not. Tell me where it is ratified then. There is no treaty that states it iirc. There is no such thing as "human rights" amongst the world. They are implied, not written. It is a moral, not a law. The only "human rights" that apply to more than one country come from the UN Treaties. Such as the Geneva Convention, for example.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

lol, this is only going to spurn on even more Putin memes. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Did you miss the sign? It clearly says no fun allowed.

All the Russian reddit users will now have to get their daily meme dose from the black market.

Your username is perfect for this.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch