Russia makes certain memes illegal

post-216-0-08526100-1428760101.jpg

This week the media agency in Russia announced that it is illegal to post memes that depicts a public figure in a way that has nothing to do with his or her "personality".

Some examples would be Sad Keanu and quite a lot of Putin memes.

People can report websites who break this law and if the website do not remove the images/videos the entire website will be blocked in Russia.

Source: Washington Post

Ouch.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

This law is illegal in itself.

It limits people from expressing their opinions, therefor violating the human right of "Freedom of speech"

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

It limits people from expressing their opinions, therefor violating the human right of "Freedom of speech"

It's Russia, they already have laws preventing free speech.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did you miss the sign? It clearly says no fun allowed.

All the Russian reddit users will now have to get their daily meme dose from the black market.

Forgive me, please do not send the FSB to beat me senseless.

Guys, this stuff isn't allowed in the constitution, how could they do this?!?!

/s

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

This is because of the pindosy, I tell ya!

jk

Seriously, this sucks. I can't imagine they can actually enforce this, though.

Good luck finding a tyrant/leader who will care.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Huh? Freedom of speech is a HUMAN RIGHT, not a right granted by some Constitution.

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

This is because of the pindosy, I tell ya!

jk

Seriously, this sucks. I can't imagine they can actually enforce this, though.

Good luck finding a tyrant/leader who will care.

#Linus4President : I believe he will care :D

Huh? Freedom of speech is a HUMAN RIGHT, not a right granted by some Constitution.

Far too many people fail to understand that our constitution doesn't give us our rights.

I don't think Norman was serious guys.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Far too many people fail to understand that our constitution doesn't give us our rights.

Any human being on earth has the right of "Freedom of Speech". That right is not granted by any Constitution or governement!

Any human being on earth has the right of "Freedom of Speech". That right is not granted by any Constitution or governement!

That was my point essentially.

You mean the US constitution? That only applies to the US. Other countries has their own constitutions but they are not the same as the US.

I am not sure if this falls under the freedom of speech. This is article 19 in the declaration of human rights:

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

You're not allowed to use images of other people however you want though, and that's kind of what people are doing with memes.

It's still really shitty of Russia to make it illegal, but I don't think I'd go as far as to call it a violation of human rights. It's not like Russia cares about the human rights anyway...

thats a opinion mate. this may be mind blowing, but you can be flat out killed by the government in many countries for what you say. Russia does not like people talking bad about leaders, so this law may be "wrong" but its not surprising. 

You mean the US constitution? That only applies to the US. Other countries has their own constitutions but they are not the same as the US.

I am not sure if this falls under the freedom of speech. This is article 19 in the declaration of human rights:

You're not allowed to use images of other people however you want though, and that's kind of what people are doing with memes.

It's still really shitty of Russia to make it illegal, but I don't think I'd go as far as to call it a violation of human rights. It's not like Russia cares about the human rights anyway...

Still, people make those memes to adress certain flaws in their governement or the system in general. Therefor speaking up.

I get your point about the usage of images and I understand.

Anyhow. Putin needs to calm the f*ck down!

you live in a very closed minded bubble

theres no such thing as a human right...no aliens set a rule for humanity..

people can set laws and do whatever they want...basically the one with the most power makes the rules

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

people can set laws and do whatever they want...basically the one with the most power makes the rules

the UN declared it a human right along with the right to education etc

No necessarily true. The one with the most power, is only capable of making the rules, so long as those beneath him continue to kowtow to that power. Most people do have a breaking point, at which they would rather die, or resist, rather than submit. Also, human rights are considered to be inborn, not given to you. No aliens would have to give them to you. They're yours by right of birth, of simply being human.

Also, way to defend totalitarianism.