Frostbite Technical Director Implementing DirectX 12 in 2016; Frostbit 3 Improvements;Vulkan API

TwistedDictator

Frostbite-3-Cropped.png

Frostbite Technical Director Johan Andersson spoke on twitter stating that they would like to DirectX 12, Windows 10 and WDDM 2.0 as minimum requirements for the Frostbit Engine by 2016. He then explained removing windows legacy which would bring benefits of a modern graphics API & memory management.He then explained removing windows legacy which would bring benefits of a modern graphics API & memory management. " He then explained removing windows legacy which would bring benefits of a modern graphics API & memory management.".

Source

Its a good thing they are improving FB3 because I dont want them to ruin Star Wars Battlefront. I will be getting windows 10 for SURE!

It supports Vulkan API :o

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

So this means that Battlefront won't run as good on older systems, but will run better on up to date systems.

I can live with that, definitely hope Battlefront will be great as well.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

So this means that Battlefront won't run as good on older systems, but will run better on up to date systems.

I can live with that, definitely hope Battlefront will be great as well.

Seems like it, the world is all about money these days.

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I'm not sure, but did he then explained removing windows legacy which would bring benefits of a modern graphics API & memory management?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Battlefront comes out this year. But he is referring to Holiday 2016. That would point squarely at BF5 not Battlefront. Its how I read it anyway.

Battlefront comes out this year. But he is referring to Holiday 2016. That would point squarely at BF5 not Battlefront. Its how I read it anyway.

They still can implement it even if the games come out this year.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Nope, I'll be the first one to say that's just stupid: MS will certainly not convert all windows 7 users to 10 by 2016 (it's just not realistic) so you will hurt your sales.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nope, I'll be the first one to say that's just stupid: MS will certainly not convert all windows 7 users to 10 by 2016 (it's just not realistic) so you will hurt your sales.

Perhaps, but its a good thing in the long run. you can write the engine in a more modern way, and assume a more modern CPU architecture. EG, with windows 7 you cant even assume SSE instructions (they came in the 90s, or at the start of the 00s IIRC)

@patrickjp93 we will finally see the move to AVX it would seem :D looks like CPU "performance" will jump dramatically in 2016, for purpouses of game development :3 sexy words

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

They kinda have to support vulkan. EA has big plans for frostbite to be used across a wide range of studios. And they will need to target android mobile/tablets and NVIDIA shield as well as apple IOS. On top of the having support for Windows, OSX and Linux is a bonus but prob not be the reason they made the decision.

No it means it will run better on everything. Everybody talks about how Vulkan and DX12 makes better use of multi-core CPUs, but also remember that even if you have a single or dual core chip the CPU load will be lower due to how the APIs work when compared to older dx/opengl.

Perhaps, but its a good thing in the long run. you can write the engine in a more modern way, and assume a more modern CPU architecture. EG, with windows 7 you cant even assume SSE instructions (they came in the 90s, or at the start of the 00s IIRC)

@patrickjp93 we will finally see the move to AVX it would seem :D looks like CPU "performance" will jump dramatically in 2016, for purpouses of game development :3 sexy words

Maybe. Depends on whether or not they set the bar at Core or SandyBridge, though even just SSSE 3 would be a godsend.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Only I just realized that they are also doing Vulkan, so you could technically still support Windows 7 only in Vulkan mode so if they block Windows 7 (and 8) then this is really not about improving the APIs and more about fellating Microsoft to force people into 10.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Maybe. Depends on whether or not they set the bar at Core or SandyBridge, though even just SSSE 3 would be a godsend.

well they set it at W10, so i assume SSE4.2 to be a thing, since W8 made SSE a thing. and according to SHS, 80% of the systems are 4.2 ready. But i would love for them to use AVX, as the performance difference is immense. you could almost do volumetric lighting in real time using AVX2 on a 6core intel, for a simple scene, so it would make my panties wet

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

well they set it at W10, so i assume SSE4.2 to be a thing, since W8 made SSE a thing. and according to SHS, 80% of the systems are 4.2 ready. But i would love for them to use AVX, as the performance difference is immense. you could almost do volumetric lighting in real time using AVX2 on a 6core intel, for a simple scene, so it would make my panties wet

Didn't you claim to me you were a black man, sending me a picture to that effect?

Volumetric lighting is too expensive for what it gets you imho.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Only I just realized that they are also doing Vulkan, so you could technically still support Windows 7 only in Vulkan mode so if they block Windows 7 (and 8) then this is really not about improving the APIs and more about fellating Microsoft to force people into 10.

They arent fellating anyone :P they are optimising their engine. If they plan on dropping DX11 support (which it does seem so by the article) and requiring SSE3/4 then even the same cpu code, recompiled with SSE would run 30-50% faster :) And i bet they plan on modernising the code as well.

Its actually incredible how much of any kind of code can be vectorised and issued on an SSE/AVX type instruction. 

Didn't you claim to me you were a black man, sending me a picture to that effect?

Volumetric lighting is too expensive for what it gets you imho.

I definitely never sent you a picture of me being black. I did perhaps tell you i was a man (which i am)

I know, and im not advocating using it just yet, was merely illustrating my point of the speed of AVX

I definitely never sent you a picture of me being black. I did perhaps tell you i was a man (which i am)

I know, and im not advocating using it just yet, was merely illustrating my point of the speed of AVX

Well, whatever gets you going I guess. I can't judge based on the friends I have :P

Cool.

I like how we're getting improvements in terms of latency and getting rid of unnecessary legacy support to get closer to hardware. Being that software like Windows or like next gen NVMe SSDs and new monitor tech we're seeing. Awesome.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Well, whatever gets you going I guess. I can't judge based on the friends I have :P

I never explicitly stated i wear panties ;)

Is it just me , or do the Battlefield series like , never actually used the full power of the engine ? If the bit of gameplay of Battlefront shown is how it will look like ... my everything is going to burn :(

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

They arent fellating anyone :P they are optimising their engine. If they plan on dropping DX11 support (which it does seem so by the article) and requiring SSE3/4 then even the same cpu code, recompiled with SSE would run 30-50% faster :) And i bet they plan on modernising the code as well.

Its actually incredible how much of any kind of code can be vectorised and issued on an SSE/AVX type instruction. 

I have to disagree: It's not like their current engine is shit, it's actually pretty reasonable and young as well meaning that even on DX11 they could still do a lot to improve. More over, it already works on directx 11 why do you need to say "Ok we're dropping support for all direct x11 users" Like I said they have to know that will cost them some sales overall simply because migrating users to 10 won't happen overnight.

Sorry maybe I'm just too fucking cynical but I smell the MS bucks at work here: the argument will resolve itself when they confirm or deny support for Vulkan on windows 7 since then we'll know if it's a technical decision or a business one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, who ever would want to play something new that would require it, I'm pretty sure they'll upgrade.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Lets hope they mean Battlefield Bad Company 3 not Battlefield 5 ;) 

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Well, who ever would want to play something new that would require it, I'm pretty sure they'll upgrade.

Not really. See I'd love to play BF4 for example but the one thing that has stopped me if the fact that it's Origin only. If it was at least activated on steam then required origin to launch, like Uplay, I would have gotten it by now. But I just refuse to install and use origin for the purposes of 1 or 2 EA games, they haven't earn that for me personally.

So yes I am kind of an exception about being inconvenienced but trust me I'm far from the only exception. Now we're not talking about just installing another app but we're talking about installing an entire fucking OS. This would take most people at least a couple of days to get all their settings and programs reinstalled and such. And no just hitting "upgrade" is not an option most of the time that's just bad vs a clean install formatting your drive. You think many inexperienced users will be upgrading to 10 just to play a few games? Some might but some will not, the thing here is that overall it will costs them sales.

But you're certainly free to remain a skeptic, we can take a look at Windows 10 adoption rate in 2016 and see just how many sales they will be missing if they completely block Windows 7 and 8 (remember my other argument: supporting Vulkan means that they can still support windows 7 with vulkan so any restriction will be artificial, not technical)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Dear god yes....

That, and no more random spawnpoints on TDM.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

We can only hope! Thanks for that. :)