SM951 Available for purchase

LukaP

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9145/samsung-sm951-pcie-ssd-now-available

IMG_2077-1_678x452.jpg

Granted it is only in Australia right now, from RamCity, so there is some shipping to be paid, as well as possible import charges. Its priced similarly to the XP941 you can already buy, but it is much faster than it. 
Since it is a M.2 3.0@4x SSD, you will either need an ASRock board, or a PCIe -> M.2 adapter, to get the most out of it. But for over 2GB/s reads and 1.5GB/s writes, and 90K IOPS, one would say 469$ for a 512GB drive is reasonable.

Since RamCity is located in Australia, the shipping costs to US and other parts of the world are ~$18 with today's exchange rate. The pricing is comparable to the XP941 and overall pretty fair when taking the performance gains into account. As the SM951 is an OEM part, there's no official warranty on behalf of Samsung, but RamCity is giving the drive a three-year warranty.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I would say hold off until their NVMe SSDs hit the market.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I would say hold off until their NVMe SSDs hit the market.

Waiting has never paid off, and unless you are a professional user (as SSD750 has shown) there is almost no difference in performance, and even less difference in percieved performance, so just get what you want now and stop waiting like a pussy :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Meh, not too excited. 

Intel 750 series really burned me out on SSD excitement for now

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Waiting has never paid off, and unless you are a professional user (as SSD750 has shown) there is almost no difference in performance, and even less difference in percieved performance, so just get what you want now and stop waiting like a pussy :P

2.4GB/s read and with 440K IOPS and 1.2GB/s write with 290K IOPS also you get less overhead, lower latency and more with NVMe.

I think that's a difference and it's worth it.

source

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

2.4GB/s read and with 440K IOPS and 1.2GB/s write with 290K IOPS also you get less overhead, lower latency and more with NVMe.

I think that's a difference and it's worth it.

source

I know the benchmarks dont worry. My point still stands. Those are just benchmarks. Percieved performance increase is not really a thing. Now, SSD makers should focus more on increasing SSD sizes, and decreasing their prices. Because with this constant speed war, all they are doing is artificially keeping the price high, because it has bigger numbers that mean nothing.

I want SATA3 4TB SSDs for 0.10$/GB or something similar now.

I already posted this in sales info. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/338753-aus-samsung-sm951-m2-ssd-available-now/
I live in Australia. Ordered this on the 31st, received it on the 2nd, returned it on the 4th.

There is a huge difference in performance. The SM951 is not NVMe, it also lacks support and randomly isn't detectable.

I'm using an Asus Rampage V extreme motherboard, with an Intel i7 5820K, an Asus Matrix edition GTX980 in the top x16 lane PCIe slot, and my read/write speeds were only 1500MB/s when this SSD was connected via the Gen 3 x4 M.2 slot.

For anyone looking at this, as someone who has personally tested this SSD, i would recommend waiting for NVMe.
This showed performance increases, but not by much more than you would get by putting two 850's in Raid 0. It also has less random read/write speeds than the intel 750 SSD.

There is nothing 'pussy' about waiting. It's actually the smartest thing to do IMO.

6Gb/s Sata has served it's purpose. Manufactures need to look in other places regarding SSD communication paths.

I already posted this in sales info. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/338753-aus-samsung-sm951-m2-ssd-available-now/

I live in Australia. Ordered this on the 31st, received it on the 2nd, returned it on the 4th.

There is a huge difference in performance. The SM951 is not NVMe, it also lacks support and randomly isn't detectable.

I'm using an Asus Rampage V extreme motherboard, with an Intel i7 5820K, an Asus Matrix edition GTX980 in the top x16 lane PCIe slot, and my read/write speeds were only 1500MB/s.

For anyone looking at this, as someone who has personally tested this SSD, i would recommend waiting for NVMe.

This showed performance increases, but not by much more than you would get by putting two 850's in Raid 0. It also has less random read/write speeds that the intel 750 SSD.

There is nothing 'pussy' about waiting. It's actually the smartest thing to do IMO.

6Gb/s Sata has served it's purpose. Manufactures need to look in other places regarding SSD communication paths.

Would you please read what i wrote. Yes BENCHMARK NUMBERS are higher. But you will barely or not at all see and percieve a performance increase, going from something like a 850 PRO to a SSD750. So while its cool what they are doing, and NVMe should be used, because its way more robust, my point about stopping the speed race and starting the price race still stands. as does the not waiting one

Meh, not too excited.

Intel 750 series really burned me out on SSD excitement for now

Is your avatar related to the excitement ? :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Is your avatar related to the excitement ? :D

No SSD could ever get me that excited

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I know the benchmarks dont worry. My point still stands. Those are just benchmarks. Percieved performance increase is not really a thing. Now, SSD makers should focus more on increasing SSD sizes, and decreasing their prices. Because with this constant speed war, all they are doing is artificially keeping the price high, because it has bigger numbers that mean nothing.

I can't disagree, I don't think the regular consumer would notice.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Would you please read what i wrote. Yes BENCHMARK NUMBERS are higher. But you will barely or not at all see and percieve a performance increase, going from something like a 850 PRO to a SSD750. So while its cool what they are doing, and NVMe should be used, because its way more robust, my point about stopping the speed race and starting the price race still stands. as does the not waiting one

If the speed race isn't important, then there is no need for you to use any CPU above an AMD Sempron 2560. Lol

Also, we can all go back to mechanical hard drives, if speed is no longer a factor.

850 pro

Read: 550MB/s

Write: 520MB/s

Intel 750 (depending on model)

Read: 2400MB/s

Write: 1200MB/s

Difference:

Read: nearly 2 GigaBYTES per second, without the limitation of Sata.

Write: X2 The speed, with an interface designed for SSDs. (NVMe)

The 750 has (theoretically) 400% faster map load times. How wouldn't a regular consumer notice that?

And secondly, why would the discussion in this thread matter at all, if this is just a niche item and not a glimpse into the future of storage memory?

I see what you are saying, but the maths really isn't on your side. Sorry.

If the speed race isn't important, then there is no need for you to use any CPU above an AMD Sempron 2560. Lol

Also, we can all go back to mechanical hard drives, if speed is no longer a factor.

850 pro

Read: 550MB/s

Write: 520MB/s

Intel 750 (depending on model)

Read: 2400MB/s

Write: 1200MB/s

Difference:

Read: nearkly 2 GigaBYTES per second, without the limitation of Sata.

Write: X2 The speed, with an interface designed for SSDs. (NVMe)

The 750 has (theoretically) 400% faster map load times. How wouldn't a regular consumer notice that?

And secondly, why would the discussion in this thread matter at all, if this is just a niche item, and not a glimpse into the future of storage memory?

I see what you are saying, but the maths really isn't on your side. Sorry.

are you retarded? I said it doesnt matter after you get above a certain point, which is an 850 PRO

No it doenst have faster map loading (unless its a shit game). As a gamedev, i can tell you that any normal game will load as much as it can before its needed. and maps usually go with that.

The only time when a 750 noticably outperforms a 850pro is when you are a heavy workstation prosumer. when you work on extremly large files and the likes. If you dont believe me, here are numbers from anandtechs review (keep in mind this is a heavy test, and the only one in which the 750 was really better was the destroyer, which is completly unrealistic) of the 750. and keep in mind that the 850 PRO was already a drive everyone and their dog praise for how fast it is, with no lag anywhere.

Sigh'

Must we result to personal attacks and appeals to authority?

This isn't about who is right, it's about what it (theoretically) true.

You implied that someone was a pussy for deciding to wait for an SSD with incrementally better speeds, because his comment disagreed with your OP.

Now you're back tracking and saying that speed isn't important, and that there is no point in even buying the SSD that you originally posted about anyway?

So what is it? 
Should be stop being pussies and buy this SSD, or stay content with our 850s?
It's becoming a little hard to sift through the contradictions, is all.

Sigh'

You implied that someone was a pussy for deciding to wait for an SSD with incrementally better speeds, because his comment disagreed with your OP.

Now you're back tracking and saying that speed isn't important, and that there is no point in even buying the SSD that you originally posted about anyway?

So what is it? 

He was freaking joking with me, it's like our thing with some other members like @ShadowCaptain, calling me a pussy wasn't a personal attack.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Sigh'

So what is it? 

the pussy comment was to @cesrai, who i insult as a joke all the time. and he loves it

I called you stupid for saying that i said speed doesnt matter. which was a retarded comment.

I am not contradicting myself. I said its never a good idea to wait for the next flagship, but to take what you can now. Then i also said that past the 850 type speed, there is almost no percievable difference in performance, so its almost pointless to buy those SSDs. I never said to not buy the 951. I said the 750 is kinda pointless, unless you are stressing it as hard as its technologically possible.

I also said that NVMe is good, and should be adopted. I dont see any contradictions here. Reading comprehension, learn it ^^

the pussy comment was to @cesrai, who i insult as a joke all the time. and he loves it

- I don't give two craps about this -

918.jpg 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

"Its priced similarly to the XP941 you can already buy, but it is much faster than it." 

Since it is a M.2 3.0@4x SSD, you will either need an ASRock board, or a PCIe -> M.2 adapter, to get the most out of it. But for over 2GB/s reads and 1.5GB/s writes, and 90K IOPS, one would say 469$ for a 512GB drive is reasonable.

-Paraphrasing- "The speed war isn't important, we should be more focused on the price" - Uses speed figures to justify the price. because, /Logic

I dont see any contradictions here. Reading comprehension, learn it ^^

It's a little hard to comprehend what you're saying, when your statements contradict each other and don't make coherent sense.
Rather than attacking me for pointing out the error in your reasoning, you should be attempting to construct a better argument.

This is a forum for helping people, after all. Not a battle of egos.

Peace.

-Paraphrasing- "The speed war isn't important, we should be more focused on the price" - Uses speed figures to justify the price. because, /Logic

It's a little hard to comprehend what you're saying, when your statements contradict each other and don't make coherent sense.

Rather than attacking me for pointing out the error in your reasoning, you should be attempting to construct a better argument.

This is a forum for helping people, after all. Not a battle of egos.

Peace.

I said the price was reasonable for the speeds. i didnt say the speeds or the way the industry is headed are reasonable, you can get a great SSD like an 850 for <50c/GB. this one is almost 1$/GB, because of its speed. So yes, i think its reasonable that its so much more expensive, but i dont think its reasonable that they made it this fast, knowing that it will jack up the price.

anyway, since you dont seem to get it, lets agree to disagree

The only exception I've seen anyone make (JJ from Asus on Paul's video) was that if you want to edit multiple 4k feeds in real time, then actually you could start maxing out other drives. But other that very specific case for rich youtubers/content creators you're absolutely right.

-------

Current Rig

-------

• 3 weeks later...

Real world benches - meh I don't trust gamecrate but they give you an idea of what we may see for game load times etc. So yes, there is real world difference, just not as large as the numbers appear. 

http://www.gamecrate.com/benchmarking-gaming-intel-750-ssd/

The current drives require a few things like X99 Z97 and an adapter and cable. I'm just going to wait till end of year and buy a whole new system. Intro price for these new drives is steep but in line with prior intro offerings.

64len4.png

SATA really needs a total overhaul.... Or we need PC's with a bajillion PCIe lanes

one or the other. PLEASE PICK WORLD!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1