Windows 10.1 planned for 2016

GoodBytes

Are you on Windows 10 already? No? Windows 10.1 is coming out in 2016 based on supported rumors from trusted source.

Mary Jo Foley over at ZDNet and Neowin confirms that a new Windows codenamed "Redstone" is planned for sometimes in 2016 (Windows 10 codename is "Threshold"). It is expected to be a new version of Windows, possibly Windows 10.1. This is part of the rapid release cycle from Microsoft, a direction that Microsoft has started to push as an idea back with Windows 8, but it looks like now it is serious. This would allow Microsoft to compete again Android, iOS and MacOS rapid release.

Redstone will be delivered automatically to Windows 10 users as part of their regular, every-month-or-so updates. Redstone will just be a larger update than the others and will provide new functionality and support for new classes of devices that aren't already part of Windows 10, so the supposed thinking goes.

Foley claims over at ZDNet. So the update will be free.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsofts-next-big-update-windows-10-codenamed-redstone-targeted-arrive-2016

If true, it confirms the rumors that preview builds will continue to be released after Windows 10 is made. So for those who like the latest and greatest, they can switch to continue to get the latest build, once Windows 10 is release, where these new build would represent the path to the release of 10.1. All part of the Windows Insider programs.

So to be clear on a few things:

- Windows 10.1 is not the official name. It could be called Windows 10 Update 1 for all we know so far. I am calling 10.1, as based on my analysis, and supported with the fact that the rumor says it is a big update. So I am guessing "10.1".

- It will be free for all, and delivered through Windows update.

- We don't know when in 2016.

Update

It will be release in 2 waves. One in June 2016 (estimated), and the other October 2016 (estimated) to Windows Insiders. So we can see that it will be release officially at the end of 2016.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-redstone-will-come-in-two-waves-june-and-october-2016

I like the Minecraft-based codename, that's all I have to really say.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

10 isn't even out and they're already talking about 10.1?? unbelieveable.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

uhh,...

so when is 10 comin out then?

Minecraft confirmed for Windows 11?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Ya, I was about to say lol.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

its like call of duty, you have to plan the next move before the latest comes out

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

having on the roadmap and being claimed isn't exactly "talking about" imo 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

uhh,...

so when is 10 comin out then?

before the end of summer, so at most late early september, and the earliest june or july 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I like the Minecraft-based codename, that's all I have to really say.

Well, its technically since they own minecraft now, so 

its like call of duty, you have to plan the next move before the latest comes out

That makes no sense...

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Sounds like the 8.1 Update 1. Delivered through Windows Update, brings some new functionality, but considered as a new OS and forced upgrade for system builders.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Why is it unbelievable ?? companies always do this, Nvidia talked about Pascal when Maxwell wasn't even released, and so do other companies.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It was inevitable...

It is terrifying...

dropped the meme bomb

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Why is it unbelievable ?? companies always do this, Nvidia talked about Pascal when Maxwell wasn't even released, and so do other companies.

Nvidia talks even about Volta. The GPU architecture after Pascal.

Skylake isn't even out yet and Intel is already talking about Cannonlake or moving away from silicon altogether

I don't see it as a bad thing when companies lay out a long-term plan

Nvidia talks even about Volta. The GPU architecture after Pascal.

Which makes me wonder more why this is unbelievable. 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This is good news. No more waiting a long time for a new version of Windows. Now it will be similar to MacOS and iOS, and Android OSs. This is critical and was a serious issue for Windows Phone. It would allow Microsoft to act fast on features and deliver them to us faster to stay competitive.

This is good news. No more waiting a long time for a new version of Windows. Now it will be similar to MacOS and iOS, and Android OSs. This is critical and was a serious issue for Windows Phone. It would allow Microsoft to act fast on features and deliver them to us faster to stay competitive.

Yeah I think they said their update cycle would be every year or two not sure.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Which makes me wonder more why this is unbelievable. 

people still doesn't grasp the idea that microsoft can offer free upgrade, considering it has sold them in the last 30 years is a bit hard to believe, also confusion caused by their naming, this would be called a service pack a couple years back

people still doesn't grasp the idea that microsoft can offer free upgrade, considering it has sold them in the last 30 years is a bit hard to believe, also confusion caused by their naming, this would be called a service pack a couple years back

That wasn't what I got from terry, he sounded like it's unbelievable to discuss products that aren't out yet.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

That wasn't what I got from terry, he sounded like it's unbelievable to discuss products that aren't out yet.

oh, ok well, that is why i told him is like call of duty, they have the content of the next thing before the former comes out, same thing can be said for software, especially an OS

Nvidia was talking about Volta before Maxwell even showed up and Volta is Pascals successor...

If you think companies like this don't have their next 10 years of software planned out, think again. 

Nobody confirmed 10.1. If anything it will be version 10.1.XX just like the current technical preview version 10049, aka 10.0.49. 

"This is my Aye-soos Laptop. It's got a space grade aluminum chassis, you know for weight reduction. It's also got a light-up keyboard so I can see what I'm typin' to bitches in the dark and shit. It's also got an Ebay Samsung SSD with a flame sticker on it. The flames add more GB per millisecond of course."

Nobody confirmed 10.1. If anything it will be version 10.1.XX just like the current technical preview version 10049, aka 10.0.49.

That is correct. Windows 10.1 is not the official name. It could be Windows 10 Update 1 or something for all we know.