Windows 10.1 planned for 2016

GoodBytes

Christ can't they just call it Windows 10 Service Pack 1, same goes for Windows 8.1

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Christ can't they just call it Windows 10 Service Pack 1, same goes for Windows 8.1

Service Packs are a package of updates with a small minor level GUI fixes. XP SP2 is the exception where added features were added.

Version release (8.1, 10.1, 10.2, etc.) are new features and more user and/or back end level improvement delivered.

10 isn't even out and they're already talking about 10.1?? unbelieveable.

I can assure you they have a team working on features for W11 or however they will have it called now. perhaps even a team working on a concept of W12

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

The same reason Apple doesn't call OS 10.10 "OS 10 Service Pack 10".

Service Packs have traditionally just been cumulative packages that include all prior released updates so that it can be used as a new support baseline and to make it easier for large deployments and installs (not having to install 105 updates after a fresh install).

Steve Ballmer said, I believe as early as 2011, that they wanted and knew that they needed to move to a faster release cycle. A 3 year release cycle meant that if they released an OS in 2010 and they had features they wanted to release on the next version and the feature was ready in 2011 then they would have had to wait until 2013 for the next release and by that point they are behind the curve and competitors could be ahead.

There are two ways of doing things. Long duration between releases with substantial differences between releases, Microsoft's way traditionally. Then there is what Apple has done which is smaller incremental releases more frequently.

post-385-0-07540100-1428434670.png

As you can see Apple was doing a 1 year release cycle, then 2 year cycle, and now is back to a 1 year cycle. Over the past decade this has more than once worked in Apple's favour in that they were able to bring features to market before Microsoft simply because they release more frequently.

Microsoft has stated multiple times in the past few years that they would be moving to faster release cycle. Not to mention, there is no downside for consumers here. All incremental upgrades will be free (10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc.) and of course upgrading from Windows 8.x and Windows 7 is free. They can do that because Microsoft never made huge money from upgrades anyway because most people never did upgrade. Most people buy a computer from Best Buy/FutureShop, etc. then they run the OS that came on it until the computer dies and just buy a whole new computer. That is what the majority of the mass market does. And when you buy a computer pre-built the OS cost is built-in so Microsoft hasn't lost any significant money. In addition, there is also value in just getting people to run the latest OS. Frees Microsoft from the cost and labour burden of having to support ancient OSes like XP.

And it only makes sense that Microsoft is already planning what comes after Windows 10 initial release. Any huge corporation is going to have a minimum 5 year roadmap and plan of what they are going to do. That is the same reason why it can take huge corporations a long time to react or change direction. And when you're trying to change the fundamental development strategy on something as huge and complex as Windows then yeah it takes a few years to actually get the gears in motion.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Most of us new it comes out in 2016. This rumour has been going around since the big conference about W10.

I expect it October-Decbember.

Or right after I buy new SSD on Black Friday :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Nvidia talks even about Volta. The GPU architecture after Pascal.

Except Nvidia's GPUs are mostly plug and play. Can't say the same for Windows OS.

That's cool to know, I guess...

You know what would really make them competitive? If they didn't charge $80-$100 for Windows.

That's cool to know, I guess...

You know what would really make them competitive? If they didn't charge $80-$100 for Windows.

It is currently against Microsoft business model. However in the future it might happen as Microsoft is trying to convert itself into a service company.

its like call of duty, you have to plan the next move before the latest comes out

That's actually what happens lol, Sledgehammer are already onto their next one (I'd think so), which will be in 2017... Well at least Infinity Ward is (2016). 

Anyways, Microsoft, give, me, Windows, 10, naow. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

So I have to stick with windows 7 for another year?

.....great....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

.....great....

Why would you have to do that?

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I'm more interested in the licensing model. I wish there's something better than what we already have today, but I do not know what would be better.

I was hoping for a "licensing hub" kind of thing in Live.com where I can track and manage all my devices, but then again I know this is not ideal because not everyone is using Microsoft's ecosystem. I'm just biased because I'm on windows phone, windows 7/8/10, using outlook, onedrive, office online etc.

I do not mind something like $10 a year for the first devices and $5 for the next until max N number of devices.

All I want it 3D Pinball back

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Except Nvidia's GPUs are mostly plug and play. Can't say the same for Windows OS.

Not the point and makes no difference at all.

Also you need to install the drivers to make them function probably not PnP.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

.....great....

What ?????

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

In others words W10 will suck balls like it currently is , and will have to wait at least half year for the .1 update like win 8.1 to get a usable windows.

Thx good to know,that clears up any doubts and questions.

companies with long-term plans usually boasts big R&D budget  :D  imo

In others words W10 will sucks balls like it currently is , and will have to wait at least half year for the .1 update like win 8.1 to get a usable winodws.

Why does it suck ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I hope that it's just an update and that it will stay with Windows 10 naming, not this kind of lame naming. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Microsoft is giving the OS away for free on several platforms... But is this a ploy to then get people to pay for the major updates afterwards. Like games Free to use but pay to unlock/download new features.. Redstone seems a strangely big separate update straight away...? 

In others words W10 will suck balls like it currently is , and will have to wait at least half year for the .1 update like win 8.1 to get a usable windows.

Sucks as in buggy or sucks as in you do not like the design decisions?

I've been test running the tech preview, and I must say I love it. There are bugs, yes, but if everything I see is fixed and working, I do not see why it's a bad thing. Definitely better than Windows 8(.1), and make Windows 7 looks dated.

Goodness I can not even keep up with all these new Windows first it was Windows 7 then Windows 8 then 8.1.

Now we have Windows 10 which is still in beta stage,now there talking about Windows 10.1 what the heck gives,

Everyone is still trying to get use to Windows 8 and 8.1 still and there are those whole playing around with Windows 10 beta..you would think Microsoft would give everyone sometime to learn what they have maybe 4 years but now it is going to be less then 2 years before they push out a new OS.

To be honest I think Microsoft should give them self more time before they start releasing any new Windows to work out all the bugs before they start doing any releases...