Windows 8.1 slow after messing with pagefile

Hello my friend tried to make some changes to the pagefile (move it to a diffrent drive).

The computer became slow and the whole computer crashed when opening google chrome.

The computer is still slow and crashes when opening google chrome when the changes are reverted.

Any idea what i can do?

Undo the changes your friend made?

Did your friend disable pagefile? Set it back to let windows decided on managing pagefile and restart.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Did your friend disable pagefile? Set it back to let windows decided on managing pagefile and restart.

As i said in the post i reverted the changes but the computer is still slow

Each partition have different pagefile, and each program required a specific logical address to function.When the pagefile moved,then the address gone so the program cannot trace it's specific memory.This is called memory leak. If your friend have older backup,back it up before he make change to pagefile .

As i said in the post i reverted the changes but the computer is still slow

Take a screenshot of your pagefile settings.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Each partition have different pagefile, and each program required a specific logical address to function.When the pagefile moved,then the address gone so the program cannot trace it's specific memory.This is called memory leak. If your friend have older backup,back it up before he make change to pagefile .

He don't have a backup, unless windows have created one automatically an if si whwe do i find it and restore to it?

since you don't have backup, you can't undo the mess

do fresh install hard to do?

He don't have a backup, unless windows have created one automatically an if si whwe do i find it and restore to it?

If your friend does have restore point,he can follow the steps on this website to restore it.Usually windows create a restore point when you make a change to important files or programs,

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/restore-from-a-restore-point-in-windows-8.html

If your friend does have restore point,he can follow the steps on this website to restore it.Usually windows create a restore point when you make a change to important files or programs,

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/restore-from-a-restore-point-in-windows-8.html

That sound's like it's going to work, I will check and let you know of i got it working :)

That sound's like it's going to work, I will check and let you know of i got it working :)

He did'nt have any system restore ponts any idea on what to do? Is reinstall the only option?

Take a screen shot of the pagefile settings and post it.

Sounds like a corrupted memory configuration to me.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE