Cooling the case, 4pin vs 3pin

I would like some more cooling in my new pc but i'm kinda stuck on the difference between 4pin and 3pin. I just want to be able to control my fans through for example speedfan,so they can be turned down when the pc is idling. Which kind of fans should I buy? My motherboard is the gigabyte Z97 gaming 5.

Thanks in advance!

CPU: I5 4690K@4.3GHz - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5 - GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 960 4GBRAM: 16GB HyperX Fury@1600MhzPSU: Cooler Master G750M (750W)Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GBHard drive: 500GB Western Digital

I would like some more cooling in my new pc but i'm kinda stuck on the difference between 4pin and 3pin. I just want to be able to control my fans through for example speedfan,so they can be turned down when the pc is idling. Which kind of fans should I buy? My motherboard is the gigabyte Z97 gaming 5.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend getting 4-pin (PWM), as they can be controlled at a much finer level.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

if your board has 4 pins...you get 4 pins

if you only have 3 pins..then get the 3 pins

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Your board has 4-pin fan headers. Go for 4-pins to control fan speeds

Thanks in advance!

4 pin PWM tends to give a slightly larger range of speed control especially on the lower end compared to 3 pin fans but make sure the motherboard has true 4 pin PWM headers since some used to have 4 pin headers that only facilitated 3 pin operation.

FYI, Gigabyte doesn't support PWM on any other header than CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. And it doesn't have support for Speedfan at all. You can get PWM and split them from CPU headers. Otherwise get hw controller or different mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

See this for info

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/164204-all-about-air-pressure-flow-cfm-ect/

3 pin is voltage control, 4 pin is pwm.

4 pin is on mb

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."