Minecraft Server Limits?

Olivertheguy
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

minecraft servers use 4 threads

if you want to have more than 100 players on a single server you should use bukkit or one of the custom coded c++ MC servers

also its not possible to have 100000 players on a single server

you will need to have thousands of lobbies running on separate servers to even handle that many players because its not possible for a single machine

the most players on a single MC server ever was a little over 2000, and this was obviously custom coded

Hi, I am looking to make a new business that has minecraft servers in it. I know minecraft servers are single threaded, what I want to know is if you get the internet bandwidth and a server with enough memory, could you thereticay (ignoring the single threaded limits) have a 100,000 player server? Or would you have to re design the server program? Don't ask why I would want to do this, but just know that if I get investment in my business, it will be a real game change for YouTubers who do minecraft :)

Thanks

Aim high, hit low. - Oliver Guy (Me)

If you can't make it good, at least make it look good. - Bill Gates

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

if you want to have more than 100 players on a single server you should use bukkit or one of the custom coded c++ MC servers

you will need to have thousands of lobbies running on separate servers to even handle that many players because its not possible for a single machine

the most players on a single MC server ever was a little over 2000, and this was obviously custom coded

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi, I am looking to make a new business that has minecraft servers in it. I know minecraft servers are single threaded, what I want to know is if you get the internet bandwidth and a server with enough memory, could you thereticay (ignoring the single threaded limits) have a 100,000 player server? Or would you have to re design the server program? Don't ask why I would want to do this, but just know that if I get investment in my business, it will be a real game change for YouTubers who do minecraft :)

Thanks

You can have a cluster servers together to make one whole big server. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

So, ignoring all physical hardware limits, there would be no way of having 2000 players+ on a single server map? 

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

So, ignoring all physical hardware limits, there would be no way of having 2000 players+ on a single server map? 

2000+, Hell 500+ on the vanilla server program, No.

2000+ on a custom coded server program running a variable of a custom game engine, perhaps. But the core engine wasn't meant to handle anywhere near that many player entities. It's like trying to force-feed a person 1 metric ton of steaks with a single fork, both the person can't handle it, and the apparatus to force feed them with can't handle it either. The software, and hardware ends cannot handle it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

no

even if you had a supercomputer you would not be able to have 100000 player on a single server

even a c or c++ server would nt be able to handle that many concurrent connections

also think about what would happen if a client is trying to render 100000 moving players

you need to think about what a normal persons computer can handle too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You could use a heavily modded server software like spigot, i also think that one is able to use more threads too. But for a 100,000 you will need several servers that are custom coded to work with eachother

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"