1 Gbps+ Internet Coming To Canada

Kvyg

So OneGigabit is bringing Google Fiber-like internet to Vancouver for relatively the same price

"Vancouver-based startup OneGigabit is getting in the ultra high speed Internet game, promising web access up to 60 times faster than typical Internet speeds in Canada, at nearly the same price.

OneGigabit will offer — as the name suggests — 1 gigabit download speeds for as low as $45-$65 CDN a month, according to a CBC report."

from http://mashable.com/2013/07/08/onegigabit/

http://onegigabit.ca/

You can download a lot of stuff with that speeds. Also that would be awesome for Linus to host this forum!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

I hate US cable companies. I have had this 50x5 speed for over a year and they haven't changed the price or anything even after the introduction of Google Fiber. 

I hate US cable companies. I have had this 50x5 speed for over a year and they haven't changed the price or anything even after the introduction of Google Fiber. 

Companies love money, they'll milk it for as long as they can. Its how the world works.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Companies love money, they'll milk it for as long as they can. Its how the world works.

Hopefully since Time Warner Cable is also in Austin, Texas competing with Google Fiber, they will upgrade their services across the board and I will get the upgrade as well. I am all the way East in North Caronlina so I would expect since I live near Research Triangle Park (home of major offices for IBM, Cisco, and other technology giants) I will be getting fiber connection or at least something much better here in the near future. 

i have 2 gbps look at my signature for pic of speed test and im basically in toronto

i7-4930k   3xEvga gtx 780OC DC2 3gb    32gb corsair vengeance 2133mhz    asus rampage 4 extreme black  ~2 tb of ssd space

my speedtest 1932mbit down / 497mbit up  custom water cooled

Why is Vancouver getting all the gigabit love, what about Ontario...

I'm still 1Mbps down in New Brunswick, as long as it's not raining.

live in Cali and TWC net speed sucks here

I get 50mbps down and 5mbps up and I live in texas. But the second that google fiber is available I'm canceling twc and going for 1gbps speeds.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Hopefully since Time Warner Cable is also in Austin, Texas competing with Google Fiber, they will upgrade their services across the board and I will get the upgrade as well. I am all the way East in North Caronlina so I would expect since I live near Research Triangle Park (home of major offices for IBM, Cisco, and other technology giants) I will be getting fiber connection or at least something much better here in the near future. 

You're on data center alley - I'm surprised you don't have it already. 

i wish we even had 15mbps at not freakin $120!!!!

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Good news for Vancouverites, aka my family. I'm stuck in Toronto. XD Going to look into the details, we should be good coverage-wise since we're close to UBC.

I do hope it includes 1Gbit uploads too, or at least 10-100Mbit.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Seeing articles like this makes me sad  :(. Over in South Africa ive got a 2 mbps line costing $100 a month. Highest speed we have in our country is 40 mbps in certain areas at a cost of $1000 a month. Thats the problem with only have 1 telecommunications company they get to dictate the prices.

Seeing articles like this makes me sad  :(. Over in South Africa ive got a 2 mbsp line costing $100 a month. Highest speed we have in our country is 40 mbsp in certain areas at a cost of $1000 a month. Thats the problem with only have 1 telecommunications company they get to dictate the prices.

i thought my situation was bad. but man... that sucks.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

i thought my situation was bad. but man... that sucks.

Yeah, biggest problem is our government has a huge share holding in Telkom (our only  telecommunications company) therefor its impossible to get a competitor to challenge them since the government isn't allowing any new telecommunications companies.

You're on data center alley - I'm surprised you don't have it already. 

It makes me angry, I think we have the 3rd highest national average bandwidth for the United States, and yet I have not seen any fiber offers aside from Verizon Fios a few blocks down from me. 

I just moved into a brand new house which is wired for full fiber which makes me pretty happy. Did add any to the building cost either. 

I am sure linus will be thrilled.

they talked about it on the stream actually, they said they might be a bit to far from it to be able to make use of it but they want to try

You do realise that we've had 1Gb's connections for awhile? Of course they were for businesses, but we've had it.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

and here we are paying more than $60 a month for a 4-8Mbps plan with cap limits..