Activate windows

TechnoBacon

So I uninstalled my product key on the laptop and used in on my new desktop, but every three hours or so, windows says I have to activate windows? Thought i did that when installing windows

So I uninstalled my product key on the laptop and used in on my new desktop, but every three hours or so, windows says I have to activate windows? Thought i did that when installing windows

just reactivate it.

just reactivate it.

Oh, forgot to mention. It says my product key doesnt work

Oh, forgot to mention. It says my product key doesnt work

retype it 

if that fails, 

call ms

It says my product key doesnt work

The key is machine specific. It is tied to your laptop's specs and will not work on a desktop install.

sorry but it is fact.

The key is machine specific. It is tied to your laptop's specs and will not work on a desktop install.

sorry but it is fact.

This is incorrect. You can use it on as many machines as you want, as long as its not at the same time.

And going back to the OP, how do you "uninstall" your product key? lol...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Hey just for your information if the product key doesn't work then just use Microsoft toolkit to activate the windows

-snip-

Edited by foxhound590
link breaches coc

Hey just for your information if the product key doesn't work then just use Microsoft toolkit to activate the windows

-snip-

You do realize this isn't a Microsoft piece of software right?

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

You do realize this isn't a Microsoft piece of software right?

I know that but this way he can atleast activate his windows on both the devices incase the product key doesn't work!!!!

Right heres the rundown of why this won't work.

Firstly the Laptop probably has an OEM Licence which is only able to be activated on one system, the one the OEM Manufactured.

Secondly the "Microsoft Toolkit" Isn't a Microsoft sanctioned tool and by using it you are promoting piracy which is against the CoC as it would fall under the "Cracks" Part of the CoC:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

6. Piracy, Copyright Material, Cracks and Product Keys

• "Copyright Material" is any material protected by legally recognized copyright;
  • "Piracy" is the unauthorized copying of software or any material subject to copyright;
  • "Cracks" are programs that disable copy-protection technology;
  • A "Key" is a combination of numbers and/or letters required for software installation.
You may not request, distribute, link to or enable any activities which involve the procurement or distribution of pirated software, product cracks or keys or the supply, exchange or distribution of any copyright material including TV recordings. Doing so may result in the termination of your account without notice. In addition, any of the following violations are grounds for action being taken on your post and/or account:
  • Seeking help to create or find cracks.
  • Seeking missing files that are supplied with copyrighted installation CD(s)
  • Admitting to being involved in the distribution of copyrighted software/media, cracks and product keys.
  • Requesting or discussing the trade, sale, exchange or supply of any copyrighted material including (but not limited) to TV recordings, DVDs, movies, music, software etc.
  • Identifying torrents sources or websites where copyright material may be obtained.
  • Provide or request login details for restricted websites.
Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of our management.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Right heres the rundown of why this won't work.

Firstly the Laptop probably has an OEM Licence which is only able to be activated on one system, the one the OEM Manufactured.

Secondly the "Microsoft Toolkit" Isn't a Microsoft sanctioned tool and by using it you are promoting piracy which is against the CoC as it would fall under the "Cracks" Part of the CoC:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

Well i guess you are right and i apologise for promoting piracy!!!! and i promise that i wont promote it again!

If you dont work... you can also go install Linux/Ubuntu it free :D

Magical Pineapples

You can't uninstall a product key. It's either a sticker on the bottom of your laptop for Win7 or embedded into the bios for Win8. Both are OEM and tied to your laptop. Want to install onto your desktop then you'll have to buy another license.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I know that but this way he can atleast activate his windows on both the devices incase the product key doesn't work!!!!

And you know this is pirating software right?

Spoiler

And you know this is pirating software right?

Dude I already apologised for that , stop cursing me for that!!! I just wanted to help him and nothing else but I just forgot that it's illegal to appreciate this kind of stuff here!!!