OS Changes

mkp123

But does changing any components in my pc mess with windows? (8.1)

Changing GPU will require new drivers if you switch brand. Changing mobo will need fresh install in most cases and reactivation of license.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

But does changing any components in my pc mess with windows? (8.1)

When you install to change a new component, it needs drivers (the ones of the new component that you just installed) to be installs. Depending on what it is, and the manufacture, the drivers might be available in Windows Update, which Windows will fetch and install itself (or you can accelerate the process by you manually doing a Windows update check), or built-in Windows. In some cases, the drivers are not available, as the manufacture doesn't want Microsoft to distribute it, and you have to go on the manufacture website and get it from there.

Some or many changes, might trigger Windows activation. Activate Windows and you should be fine. It just thinks you switch Windows systems that is why.

If you change your motherboard, or change some BIOS/UEFI settings you need to re-install Windows (except Windows 10, it seams... I didn't try moving Windows 10 from an Intel based system to AMD, but between differently specs systems with older and newer hardware, it seams solid).

Depending on what you change, and what version of Windows, you might get a BSOD at startup, or work, but not right.

If you have an OEM license of Windows, then you can't use Windows anymore if you changed the motherboard. You need to go buy a another license, as the OEM license is tied to the motherboard. The only exception is that your previous motherboard broke, and you could get find/get a replacement and had to change it with or without other components. A phone activation is required.

When you install to change a new component, it needs drivers (the ones of the new component that you just installed) to be installs. Depending on what it is, and the manufacture, the drivers might be available in Windows Update, which Windows will fetch and install itself (or you can accelerate the process by you manually doing a Windows update check), or built-in Windows. In some cases, the drivers are not available, as the manufacture doesn't want Microsoft to distribute it, and you have to go on the manufacture website and get it from there.

Some or many changes, might trigger Windows activation. Activate Windows and you should be fine. It just thinks you switch Windows systems that is why.

If you change your motherboard, or change some BIOS/UEFI settings you need to re-install Windows (except Windows 10, it seams... I didn't try moving Windows 10 from an Intel based system to AMD, but between differently specs systems with older and newer hardware, it seams solid).

Depending on what you change, and what version of Windows, you might get a BSOD at startup, or work, but not right.

If you have an OEM license of Windows, then you can't use Windows anymore if you changed the motherboard. You need to go buy a another license, as the OEM license is tied to the motherboard. The only exception is that your previous motherboard broke, and you could get find/get a replacement and had to change it with or without other components. A phone activation is required.

Thank you for your in depth post :)

I know that most new components need drivers, but only the change of motherboard will need windows to be reactivated or am I wrong? And OFC the harddrive that I installed OS on.