How are Cherry MX Blues for gaming?

Mr_Pixle

The Razed 2013 keyboard has Blues but I'm wondering is it harder to push down on than browns?

The traveling time is longer and the springing back up time is longer. Reds are more suited for gaming.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They are loud and clicky. Great for typing but I recommend reds/browns for gaming.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I have blues and I regret them a little because they spring slowly and sometimes have their weird "double tap" (I don't even know how to describe it) thing when I play RTS or MOBA. Just really screws up with my skills when I try to cast them quickly or something. Wouldn't recommend Blues for gaming anyhow.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Razer quality meh, if you wan't get, but no one can tell you if they are good or not. You have to go and try them yourself. If you like light keys  with excellent tactile feedback and are okay with noise then yes I suppose they would be great. Supposedly the new 2013 keyboard should be tons better in quality

Blues are heavier to click down than browns and have a more noticeable "click."

Browns require less actuation force and have less of a bump, but are easier to double tap. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I have blues and I regret them a little because they spring slowly and sometimes have their weird "double tap" (I don't even know how to describe it) thing when I play RTS or MOBA. Just really screws up with my skills when I try to cast them quickly or something. Wouldn't recommend Blues for gaming anyhow.

I know what you're talking about with the "double tap."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I liked blues mainly for typing. I think reds or browns would be better for gaming. I currently use a blackwidow tournament edition and the orbweaver(mostly for the ergonomics of it)

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

They are loud and clicky. Great for typing but I recommend reds/browns for gaming.

I like the looks of the Razer 2013 but they only have blues :( Am I able to switch them out for browns/reds?

I like the looks of the Razer 2013 but they only have blues :( Am I able to switch them out for browns/reds?

Switching out keys yourself may be quite expensive. It's a shame Razer doesn't have reds or browns. 

My recommendation is to just try out as many keyboards as you can and just pick one you like. It's better to go with what you know is good than to gamble with one you might not actually have liked as much.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Switching out keys yourself may be quite expensive. It's a shame Razer doesn't have reds or browns. 

My recommendation is to just try out as many keyboards as you can and just pick one you like. It's better to go with what you know is good than to gamble with one you might not actually have liked as much.

How much do Cherry MX Reds cost? Where can I buy them in Canada? Not many keyboards appeal to me, Corsair keyboards have tall keyswitches, Coolermasters keyboards look too plain, Thermaltake is to cheap, Razer is the only one that appeals to me.

Yup, Blues have the double tap issue because of the fact that they don't reset at the actuation point. They actually reset a bit above the actuation point.. so even if you tap twice really fast and hear the switch "click" twice.. it might not actually register the double tap. This is a huge issue for me especially when gaming. So I wouldn't recommend it.

If you like the Razer look then try their Stealth keyboards, I'm pretty sure they are just a Brown switch version.

Yup, Blues have the double tap issue because of the fact that they don't reset at the actuation point. They actually reset a bit above the actuation point.. so even if you tap twice really fast and hear the switch "click" twice.. it might not actually register the double tap. This is a huge issue for me especially when gaming. So I wouldn't recommend it.

If you like the Razer look then try their Stealth keyboards, I'm pretty sure they are just a Brown switch version.

Oh, well that explains it. Thanks! I'm actually back to using my membrane keyboard because of that. Probably will look into Browns when I get the money. Should've studied the Blues a bit more but I didn't realise how much of hindrance it would actually be. Horrid for most games.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

How much do Cherry MX Reds cost? Where can I buy them in Canada? Not many keyboards appeal to me, Corsair keyboards have tall keyswitches, Coolermasters keyboards look too plain, Thermaltake is to cheap, Razer is the only one that appeals to me.

This site has custom keycaps: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys

The thing I worry about is the Razer backlighting. I'm not sure where to get custom keycaps that allow the backlight to shine through.

Also, I just remembered that these replace the keycaps and not the switch itself. :/

This site has custom keycaps: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,cherrymxkeys

The thing I worry about is the Razer backlighting. I'm not sure where to get custom keycaps that allow the backlight to shine through.

Also, I just remembered that these replace the keycaps and not the switch itself. :/

Does this keyboard use browns? http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/store/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-stealth-2013

. Should I get this or a keyboard with red switches

Does this keyboard use browns? http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/store/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-stealth-2013

That keyboard uses Cherry MX Blues. 

Like I said earlier, you should probably find a way to try out a switch in person. Peripherals are subjective to opinion and some people may prefer a certain switch over another. 

Blues aren't bad for gaming--the majority (according to the internet) just thinks reds are the best. Pick what you like.

I use UT3 (a fast paced FPS) as a measure of how games perform with different switch types. I've tried it with Cherry Reds (a Trigger and an Armaggeddon MKA-3, and a hybrid DS II 78Version which has Red on the alphanumeric keys)), Blue (QF TK, DS II Special Ed), Brown (Filco MJ Ninja), Black (Ducky 9087G2 Pro TKL), and a Trigger Green. I've also gamed on a Topre Realforce 103UB-55G and the classic Model M, I have no problem with any of them when I play UT3.

As for switch types for gaming, most have no issue using Blue, but having said that, there are some experiencing issue concerning double tap. I don't get your preference for Razer, to me, Razer is all fart and no shit......if you get what I mean. :D  You'd be better off with a Coolermaster, Ducky, Filco,,,,hell, I'd rather buy a Tesoro Durandal Ultimate G1NL (Brown) than go with anything with the Razer branding.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

That keyboard uses Cherry MX Blues. 

Like I said earlier, you should probably find a way to try out a switch in person. Peripherals are subjective to opinion and some people may prefer a certain switch over another. 

Blues aren't bad for gaming--the majority (according to the internet) just thinks reds are the best. Pick what you like.

I thought I seen someone say they had a keyboard with browns. Any other good keyboard that you reccomend

I thought I seen someone say they had a keyboard with browns. Any other good keyboard that you reccomend

I'm using the G710+ and it's been great up until about a week ago when the lights on my keys from 'z to n' and 'caps lock' died. 

The lights didn't really so much die as they just didn't work sometimes. 

It's a great keyboard. I'm not sure if they have fixed the lighting issue yet though.

Still gorgeous. 

Oh, well that explains it. Thanks! I'm actually back to using my membrane keyboard because of that. Probably will look into Browns when I get the money. Should've studied the Blues a bit more but I didn't realise how much of hindrance it would actually be. Horrid for most games.

Haha yea same here. Back to using the membrane kb while I try to sell the Blue or trade it for a Brown.

I already knew Blues weren't the switch for me and always hated them.. but I still ended up picking one up anyway.. like a true fool lol.

And I heard about the Blues not being good for gaming but I didn't really believe it or think about it until I experienced it first hand. It really is an annoying problem, which just makes me hate Blues even more than before lol.

Yea?  I'm pretty damn sure those are Brown switches because if you look at the Specifications it even says 45g actuation force. If they were Blues it would say 50g.

I know for certain that the Stealth edition of the Tournament Edition is using MX Browns.. so I'm pretty sure the Stealth edition of the Ultimate is also MX Browns..

edit: I mean like look it even says "Silent mechanical keys for superior tactility and faster response"... Silent + tactile = Browns

Don't know why everyone said they're blue without even reading..

I'm using the G710+ and it's been great up until about a week ago when the lights on my keys from 'z to n' and 'caps lock' died. 

The lights didn't really so much die as they just didn't work sometimes. 

It's a great keyboard. I'm not sure if they have fixed the lighting issue yet though.

Still gorgeous. 

That keyboard seems nice but I want to stick to a color scheme. Maybe I'll just get a 6GV2 with reds. The build quality on my other one was good but I broke it :( I thought the Stealth 2013 had browns because they advertise it for a 45g key press which is the same as browns as well some videos say that it is browns. I do really like browns so I'm not sore if I should get reds because I like the feedback I get. But are they MX Browns?

I use blue switches for gaming ( mostly dota 2 and cs:go ), I have no problems gaming in both game with blue switches + it feels great to type on them. No complaint on gaming with blue switches but I have never tried another switches so I don't know if they would be better