M9 release is tonight, available widely on April 10'th.

Zambonie

Here's a plan for everyone.

If you want good software, good customer support, great hardware and timely updates geta  Motorola phone or a Nexus device. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Yes, if you like HTC and their experience I would say that it's well worth the upgrade to the M9

Or snag an M8 at a lower price if you want to put Google Play ROM on it (a very niche enthusiast thing but you will certainly get more updates over time) and save some money.

Also the M9 doesn't have a Google Play variant because google has scrapped that program so that's one thing to take into consideration if it applies :)

My dad happened to have an M7... He dropped it and smashed the screen, so he payed like an extra $100 and returned the M7, so they sent him an M8.. I personally like the M8, but I am not impressed with the camera on it, and have seen the M9 has had a decent camera upgrade. I generally like how a full metal phone feels. You don't see that often. :(

Also, I've heard people say it feels more like plastic, or does it just have a better grip in the hand?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I can respect that :P

The bottom bezel can't really be addressed, they use that space for actual components in the device. As for the camera, it's subjectively improved, but it's not iPhone-level to be honest.

but components can be engineered to be made smaller, more efficient. I see it as HTC saying, "oh its good enough". 

My dad happened to have an M7... He dropped it and smashed the screen, so he payed like an extra $100 and returned the M7, so they sent him an M8.. I personally like the M8, but I am not impressed with the camera on it.

Also, I've heard people say it feels more like plastic, or does it just have a better grip in the hand?

we have spoken about that :0 lucky him

Also HTC has their new "Uh-Oh" protection that is a one time screen replacement which is nice.

It doesn't feel more plastic, it gives a better grip due to the slightly more pronounced sides. Great device feel wise actually and it is sure a looker ;)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

but components can be engineered to be made smaller, more efficient. I see it as HTC saying, "oh its good enough". 

Every company has a design language that they tend to follow (samsung is all over the place though)

HTC will probably eventually do away with that chin but it's incremental ;) it's how it works man!

Hail Sithis!

we have spoken about that :0 lucky him

Also HTC has their new "Uh-Oh" protection that is a one time screen replacement which is nice.

It doesn't feel more plastic, it gives a better grip due to the slightly more pronounced sides. Great device feel wise actually and it is sure a looker ;)

Oh yeah. derp. :P We haven't talked on TS in awhile.

Yeah.. I thought that was quite nice.

Noice, bet it won't be the size of a 6+'s screen like my M7 is.. I personally do not like the 6+ but two people in my school have them. It's funny because they have pants with super small pockets and small hands so they are using them like tablets. And I know #bendgate isn't that common, but one bent his and refuses to say that's a bend... (He has super bad vision, like instead of the average 20 20, more like 3 3...)

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Every company has a design language that they tend to follow (samsung is all over the place though)

HTC will probably eventually do away with that chin but it's incremental ;) it's how it works man!

Samsung is indeed all over the place.

I guess I'm just disappointed because HTC is just inches away from creating one of the most refined smartphone of all time. 

Oh yeah. derp. :P We haven't talked on TS in awhile.

Yeah.. I thought that was quite nice.

Noice, bet it won't be the size of a 6+'s screen like my M7 is.. I personally do not like the 6+ but two people in my school have them. It's funny because they have pants with super small pockets and small hands so they are using them like tablets. And I know #bendgate isn't that common, but one bent his and refuses to say that's a bend... (He has super bad vision, like instead of the average 20 20, more like 3 3...)

It's funny that Apple said it's only been 9 phones that have bent. I have seen like 3 so far, I laugh inside every time too lol

The 6 is slippery and way too thin. Also the huge top and bottom chin make it feel like a 5 inch phone anyways so the M9 is actually in my opinion much more comfy.

Hail Sithis!

Samsung is indeed all over the place.

I guess I'm just disappointed because HTC is just inches away from creating one of the most refined smartphone of all time. 

have you looked at Motorola (not to bring that up again)

Front facing speakers, nice display, no chin to speak of, good camera, great software?

it seems to be what you are looking for i.e. Moto X/Nexus 6

Hail Sithis!

It's funny that Apple said it's only been 9 phones that have bent. I have seen like 3 so far, I laugh inside every time too lol

The 6 is slippery and way too thin. Also the huge top and bottom chin make it feel like a 5 inch phone anyways so the M9 is actually in my opinion much more comfy.

Yeah... It's like meant to fall and break... The other dropped hers, dented it, and shattered the screen... Now if she sets it in her pocket wrong, the screen starts coming off...

I feel they really should've tested it a LOT more. It is not a bad performing phone by any means, I just think the design wasn't tested properly, and I don't like iOS. :/

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah... It's like meant to fall and break... The other dropped hers, dented it, and shattered the screen... Now if she sets it in her pocket wrong, the screen starts coming off...

I feel they really should've tested it a LOT more. It is not a bad performing phone by any means, I just think the design wasn't tested properly, and I don't like iOS. :/

They have the luxury of releasing whatever because people will automatically think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and pay through the teeth for a phone with average on paper specs.

Hail Sithis!

have you looked at Motorola (not to bring that up again)

Front facing speakers, nice display, no chin to speak of, good camera, great software?

it seems to be what you are looking for i.e. Moto X/Nexus 6

Motorola is nearly there as well. Their cameras aren't as good as Apple's and Samsungs (not just photo quality but speed) and if I recall the Moto X had terrible battery life. Although the second gen Moto X may have improved upon that. and the Nexus 6... well... just too big lmao.

Motorola is nearly there as well. Their cameras aren't as good as Apple's and Samsungs (not just photo quality but speed) and if I recall the Moto X had terrible battery life. Although the second gen Moto X may have improved upon that. and the Nexus 6... well... just too big lmao.

Moto X does have some battery life issues, I honestly don't know why that is. Wait for the 5.1 update, it brings a lot better ram and CPU optimizations to lollipop. Compared to 5.0 My nexus 6 saw a massive boost in performance and battery life

Hail Sithis!

Are the heat issues as bad as a One X though? 

cos if they are then next year it is. Or maybe a second hand One M8. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

HTC is in an interesting position, the M7 to the M8 was an upgrade in every single way and was worth it in my opinion despite generally 1 year upgrades are foolish. The M8 to M9 though isn't an upgrade unless you NEED a better camera. IMHO

M7 -> M8 wasn't an upgrade in every single way. It was a downgrade in 3 areas:

The M7 screen was actually better in terms of contrast and color accuracy.

They dropped OIS from the camera

Reduced onboard storage from 32GB to 16GB (why the hell is the M9 still available in 16GB capacity?).

The rest were nice upgrades though.

Are the heat issues as bad as a One X though? 

cos if they are then next year it is. Or maybe a second hand One M8. 

The CPU throttles like crazy so the surface temperature never gets super hot.

The CPU throttles like crazy so the surface temperature never gets super hot.

My One X throttles at 85C. And it can hit that easily in a game, benchmark or Chrome usage. 

Constant throttling is a bit of a turn off though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The M9 was a missed opportunity. HTC didn't address any of the M8s flaws (bottom bezel, poor camera quality, etc).

The iPhone 6 and the eye catching S6 Edge are definitely the top picks right now imo.

S6 edge will be my next try tomorrow (I could have used it today but I left work before the pre launch fiasco started) I think I will be disappointed though I could be wrong.

The M9 has a way better camera, thought the bottom bezel is a bit off putting IMHO as well. Comfy though!

You should check out the Galaxy Note Edge, got mine Tuesday. Phenomenal phone. 

Coming from the original M7.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

My One X throttles at 85C. And it can hit that easily in a game, benchmark or Chrome usage. 

Respect, if I had my One X still well... I would feel handicapped.

Then again, I had the Tegra 3 version.

Have an M8 now and everything is perfect.

I am not sure when the M9 throttles in terms of CPU temps, but the chassis shouldn't reach more than ~45 degrees when the chip is under heavy load.

Respect, if I had my One X still well... I would feel handicapped.

Then again, I had the Tegra 3 version.

Have an M8 now and everything is perfect.

I too had the Tegra 3 version. The Tegra 3 version was the only version that overheated bad i think. The Snapdragon dual core version was better for temperatures. 

I am not sure when the M9 throttles in terms of CPU temps, but the chassis shouldn't reach more than ~45 degrees when the chip is under heavy load.

I'll check it out anyway. Thanks for the help.