Great, now 3D printed rifles can fire 7.62mm NATO rounds

There isn't enough nope on Earth to express the nope that is required for this.

"Hey lets create a technology that will eventually change how Humanity lives for the better.. and use it to make things that kill people".

Would you say the same thing about someone 3d printing a hammer? More people are killed with hammers every year than with rifles. Anything can be used to kill people. It's the same as saying a cars purpose is to kill people because some people get behind the wheel drunk and kill someone.

This method of creating a PART for a firearm is nothing special. People have been creating lower receivers for ar15s in their garage for a long time with no problems.

As technology advances these types of tools become more and more accessible, and that means it's easier for bad people to get their hands on it as well. It's been like that since the dawn of technology. However it has been proven again and again that banning such technology only hinders those who wish to stay within the law, while those who would wish to do harm with technology simply ignore the law.

Demonizing the technology is small minded especially with something like firearms which have many purposes other than just "killing people" and in fact in the US are very rarely used to kill people. What prevents violence is not limiting technology to only the powerful, but creating a society that functions in a way that violence is not worthwhile.

The gun violence in the US does not come from firearm enthusiasts making gun parts in their garage but sprouts from the conditions in the most poverty stricken areas of the country. Changing the situation in these areas will have a far greater impact than demonizing a particular technology as so so many have fruitlesly done in the past.

It's great what can be created with 3D printer, but as always when people get a option to create something it's either pe**s or weapon, sadly.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-4690K | Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: Kingston Savage 4x4GB | GPU: Asus Strix GTX970 | PSU: Seasonic M12II-620 Evo | Storage: MX100 128GB + WD Blue 1TB | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 evo | Case: NZXT H440

now terrorists can 3d print their weapons

YAY

Yay, freedom and equality for everyone... :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

thanks to 3d printers, now EVERYONE can learn what democracy feels like!  

inb4 3d printers get banned because a child prints a gun and then accidentally shoots him/herself in the foot

Polymer guns have been around for a long time. I  don't see why this surprises anybody.

now terrorists can 3d print their weapons

YAY

Yay it still costs more to 3d print them than it does to buy one in the market in *insert random 3rd world country*. Not to mention how easy it is to make one in any half way decent machine shop, all you need is a metal lathe.

In the US it's not illegal to manufacture your own lower receiver. You can buy lower receiver blanks and all the tools needed to machine them into receivers online very easily. You are not required to register them with a serial number either. The only caveat to it is that you cannot transfer the firearm to anyone else unless you register it with a serial number.

Thank you for knowing the law.

One thing to add: manufacturing your own fully automatic weapons is EXTREMELY illegal. That's "Federal-pound-me-in-the-ass-prison" time you're looking at.

Would you say the same thing about someone 3d printing a hammer? More people are killed with hammers every year than with rifles. Anything can be used to kill people. It's the same as saying a cars purpose is to kill people because some people get behind the wheel drunk and kill someone.

This method of creating a PART for a firearm is nothing special. People have been creating lower receivers for ar15s in their garage for a long time with no problems.

As technology advances these types of tools become more and more accessible, and that means it's easier for bad people to get their hands on it as well. It's been like that since the dawn of technology. However it has been proven again and again that banning such technology only hinders those who wish to stay within the law, while those who would wish to do harm with technology simply ignore the law.

Demonizing the technology is small minded especially with something like firearms which have many purposes other than just "killing people" and in fact in the US are very rarely used to kill people. What prevents violence is not limiting technology to only the powerful, but creating a society that functions in a way that violence is not worthwhile.

The gun violence in the US does not come from firearm enthusiasts making gun parts in their garage but sprouts from the conditions in the most poverty stricken areas of the country. Changing the situation in these areas will have a far greater impact than demonizing a particular technology as so so many have fruitlesly done in the past.

Careful, you might shatter their reality by pointing out that only a person can be held responsible for their actions, not an inanimate object.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Can't you just make a gun with a CNC machine out of metal? Or in the US just go buy one?

I'm counting the trigger group with the receiver I guess, not really using prop[er terminology. I'm saying the barrel, stock, all of that crap, usually not touched by the law unless you are someone like feinstein and you think a pistol grip and hand guard make a gun more dangerous.  You can easily modify a lot of semi-auto guns to be full auto, but it's highly illegal. 

But in this case you cannot really lump the trigger group, bolt, or barrel with the receiver, as you cannot make those with a 3D printer. 

The whole "easily convert semi-auto to full auto" is in some cases true, but many it is not. Like I said before you will often (always in the AR-15's case) need a new trigger group, and these are difficult to make at home. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I'm counting the trigger group with the receiver I guess, not really using prop[er terminology. I'm saying the barrel, stock, all of that crap, usually not touched by the law unless you are someone like feinstein and you think a pistol grip and hand guard make a gun more dangerous.  You can easily modify a lot of semi-auto guns to be full auto, but it's highly illegal. 

That would be the lower receiver assembly.  The lower receiver is just the shell.  all the other parts that comprise the lower receiver assembly are then combined with the lower receiver and you have a functioning part.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

They are too dumb for that.

Besides, it's much easier to walk into a gun show and pick up what you want (or at least used to be).

As long as you aren't buying from a stall, and you meet someone with what you want, and who has absolutely no moral fiber, then yes.

But in this case you cannot really lump the trigger group, bolt, or barrel with the receiver, as you cannot make those with a 3D printer. 

The whole "easily convert semi-auto to full auto" is in some cases true, but many it is not. Like I said before you will often (always in the AR-15's case) need a new trigger group, and these are difficult to make at home. 

Easy to do if you want a zip gun that fires the entire magazine on one trigger pull, maybe. (meaning you pull the trigger, let go, and it keeps firing whether you want it to or not)

Automatic weapons are finely tuned machines, the slightest malfunction can lead to death for anyone using it. They aren't something you can just make.

This is an example of what happens when a full auto gun has a problem. It keeps shooting until its out of ammo, when you don't want it to do that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EALsQAC4Og

You may notice, he doesn't have his hands on the firing controls, and it's just letting everything loose. An extremely dangerous situation for ANY gun. Can be caused by a mechanical malfunction, or by the chamber getting too hot and cooking off rounds. (meaning the barrel is so hot, it sets off the round without the firing pin moving)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm not a fan of proper poly lowers nevertheless a 3D printed one. I put 100s of rounds down range a month with my AR. The poly ones just don't take the abuse. Would love to see wha a 308 would do to a poly lower, give it 100 rounds tops.