cheaper and more reliable SSD to come thanks to Toshiba and Sandisk

6675A.png

Toshiba and Sandisk today announced that they’ve developed 48 layer stacked 3D NAND flash memory a 2-bit-per-cell 128-gigabit (16 gigabytes) device.

The two companies call their 48 layer 3D NAND memory “BiCS NAND” , an abbreviation for Bit Cost Scalable NAND.

For perspective , samsung lastest 3d nand , also called VNAND has 32 layers .

The company is also readying for mass production in the new Fab2 at Yokkaichi Operations, its production site for NAND flash memories. Fab2 is now under construction and will be completed in the first half of 2016, to meet growing demand for flash memory.

Source:

http://www.techpowerup.com/211047/toshiba-develops-worlds-first-48-layer-bics.html

http://www.myce.com/news/toshibas-new-bics-3d-nand-should-make-ssds-cheaper-and-more-reliable-75507/

i saw the same post  on tehcpowerup but it was hella confusing to understand

toshiba releases BiCS today and sandisk (working with toshiba) announces a pilot for BiCS2 and will start releasing it in 2016

same tech from different companies that seem to be working together while competing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

SSD's have gotten so much better in the past couple years in terms of price and reliability, I can't wait till they get similar to the prices of mechanical hard drives.

Can't wait for 1TB SSD's to be less than $100. A 480GB Mushkin is less than $200 right now, it's going to happen soon!

Now I need to get a server for all these cheap SSD's...

Can't wait for 1TB SSD's to be less than $100. A 480GB Mushkin is less than $200 right now, it's going to happen soon!

In think it'll be at least 2020 before we get 1TB SSDs to $200 let alone $100 lol.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

SSD's have gotten so much better in the past couple years in terms of price and reliability, I can't wait till they get similar to the prices of mechanical hard drives.

That will not happen until silicon is abandoned. We're already at the lower limits of lithographic scaling, meaning we're at the lower limits of production costs as well.

Mechanical drives also have a ton more they can do with scaling. SMR has already brought us to 10TB. HAMR will bring us to 25TB. Meanwhile in SSDs silicon won't shrink much farther for NAND cells, and stacking beyond a certain height will cause heat problems. Maybe when Graphene becomes workable on CMOS processes...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Can you link me? All I found was this and its close to $400...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226379

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pzKFqs

Undecided on GPU

Hmm, I think I've seen somewhere that Samsung is developing it with even more layers. Anyone else know something about it?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

In think it'll be at least 2020 before we get 1TB SSDs to $200 let alone $100 lol.

what are you talking about?  I bought the Samsung 1TB 850 Evo with 3D nand flash off Ebay for $389  tax included plus free shipping.

what are you talking about?  I bought the Samsung 1TB 850 Evo with 3D nand flash off Ebay for $389  tax included plus free shipping.

so about $200 higher than my estimate of what it'll be in 2020.

The absolute cheapest SSD, the Mushkin reactor (costs $30 less than the next cheapest) costs $329.99, and I think that we won't see 1TB SSDs average ~$199.99 until 2020.

I thought I was fairly clear the first time around...

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

one day 64gb ssd will be 10$ and this day will be the day 

I won't touch any 1st gen of any technology SanDisk have their dirty touch on. They've been pushing storage to market before it was ready since 1995. Many tears were shed on their frankly offensively prematurely released compact flash cards and other memory cards. Noooo thanks.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They can't just yet when it comes to GB per dollar. It wouldn't make sense and would make HDD already obsolete.

The best we gonna get IMHO is 2 times the price of HDD equivalent in next three years. So if 1TB HDD would costs $50 then 1TB SSD would cost $100. That would be super duper cheap :)

HDDs have been here since the beginning of time. Only recently we started using SSDs and Cloud storage.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I won't touch any 1st gen of any technology SanDisk have their dirty touch on. They've been pushing storage to market before it was ready since 1995. Many tears were shed on their frankly offensively prematurely released compact flash cards and other memory cards. Noooo thanks.

their ssds are actually quite reliable I have a sandisk x210 in my desktop and I have never had any problems

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Can't wait for 1TB SSD's to be less than $100.

Same, I wouldn't even care if they were slightly slower than the average SSD. It probably still be faster than the HDD that I am using for mass storage.

The category of "Slower, high capacity" HDDs exist, I don't doubt the same will apply to SSDs in 5 years.

so about $200 higher than my estimate of what it'll be in 2020.

The absolute cheapest SSD, the Mushkin reactor (costs $30 less than the next cheapest) costs $329.99, and I think that we won't see 1TB SSDs average ~$199.99 until 2020.

I thought I was fairly clear the first time around...

it will hit $200 in 2 years easily let alone 2020.

They can't just yet when it comes to GB per dollar. It wouldn't make sense and would make HDD already obsolete.

I think that was his point he can't wait until mechanical HDD have no place because SSD's have replaced them at their current price point. lol

Modern mechanically hard drives haven't been around since the dawn of time I seem to remember punch cards being a thing lol :-P

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

their ssds are actually quite reliable I have a sandisk x210 in my desktop and I have never had any problems

Lots of SanDisk products are super reliable, BUT any SanDisk product that was ever "omg this is a world first in X" is über crap.

Every time they've launched an "innovative" memory card, NAND flash, pretty much anything that has to do with storage, a portion of at least 33% of that product released to market have been completely non-quality assured broken garbage. Every. Damn. Time.

You'll notice if you look back at memory cards among photographers, how for every generational leap in storage space on every memory card type, SanDisk have forced themselves to be first by spamming the world with absolute shit, while usually Kingston have been 2nd to market, but really first since theirs works and SanDisk's flat out doesn't.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Lots of SanDisk products are super reliable, BUT any SanDisk product that was ever "omg this is a world first in X" is über crap.

Every time they've launched an "innovative" memory card, NAND flash, pretty much anything that has to do with storage, a portion of at least 33% of that product released to market have been completely non-quality assured broken garbage. Every. Damn. Time.

You'll notice if you look back at memory cards among photographers, how for every generational leap in storage space on every memory card type, SanDisk have forced themselves to be first by spamming the world with absolute shit, while usually Kingston have been 2nd to market, but really first since theirs works and SanDisk's flat out doesn't.

tldr: never buy first gen from san disk everything else is ok, which is true, i have a few micro sd card from them and only a 2gb one that has been abused and its like 6 years old has died

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I've got 2 256GB Ultra Plus SSDs in my system, had them for 18 months in regular use (actually in RAID0) for Windows, Apps & Games. I unraided them last weekend, ran Sandisks SSD Toolkit and both drives show 1% wear in the overall health section. These drives will become obsolete long before they ever fail.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think that was his point he can't wait until mechanical HDD have no place because SSD's have replaced them at their current price point. lol

Modern mechanically hard drives haven't been around since the dawn of time I seem to remember punch cards being a thing lol :-P

Well I'm 24 and I remember only harddrives. When I was little there were hardly any PCs in households in my country.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I've got 2 256GB Ultra Plus SSDs in my system, had them for 18 months in regular use (actually in RAID0) for Windows, Apps & Games. I unraided them last weekend, ran Sandisks SSD Toolkit and both drives show 1% wear in the overall health section. These drives will become obsolete long before they ever fail.

This is completely irrelevant to the point I am making.

I'm saying each and every "revolutionary step" in storage that SanDisk was ever a part of was garbage until the second manufacturer to make that step came along.

Their "regular" stuff is mostly ok. But they have a severe hard-on for being first at everything, and will walk over dead bodies to do so, by releasing broken garbage just so they can pretend to beat Kingston, who are their main competitor in severe low-cost flash.

Well I'm 24 and I remember only harddrives. When I was little there were hardly any PCs in households in my country.

I'm 28 but my grandfather was a computer technician for 50 years before he retired so I've seen near every computer right back to when they were the size of large rooms including punch card systems lol they were clearly not current in my life time but I've seen them so clearly HDD weren't the first storage type lol

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |