"Halo Online" Beta Coming to PC

Might actually be good if they dont fuck it up by making it P2W

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Well if it's anything like Halo 4, MCC, or Halo 5, it won't be Halo, just an FPS with Halo-themed skins and the stupid/childish premise of all multiplayer actually being TRAINING SIMULATORS.

Let me play as elites and I'll be happy.

How is that childish and stupid? 

You realize its been a running joke (ever since Red vs Blue commented on it) about why Red and Blue are even fighting each other. 

Screw MS and 343 for actually giving it a canonical reason as to why Red and Blue spend their free time pounding each other into smithereens. You really have an issue with that simple of an explanation? That is nit picking of the highest order. And have you actually played MCC or Halo 5 

Halo 4 was too far removed from the simple balancing that made Halo what Halo is. I'll give you that. But MCC? Thats Halo CE, 2 and 3. The more traditional Halos with their balancing and holy trifecta of gunplay, melee and grenades. Halo 5 is closer to Halo 2/CE than any game before it with the same style of balancing. 

So once again, nit picking and quite frankly talking in a way that suggests you have in fact, no idea what you're talking about. 

<trailer>

Its Halo 3 with a hell of a lot of weapon skins/variants and most importantly - EVERY SINGLE MAP EVER MADE. 

You'll notice that it has English. Weather this is for translation purposes or it suggest a proper worldwide release, who knows. You'll also notice that the graphic aren't complete shit. Well, slightly. PC components are expensive in Russia, hence the need to keep the game light. But this is the Halo 3 engine and that is hardly the worst looking thing to have even today, despite being nearly a decade old. 

It'll be curious to see how the balancing works. Halo works because everyone is the same. So if all they have for the "pay" portion is getting access to skins and design variants (but all having the same attributes) then this could work pretty well for Russia's market.  

@MadSprite, update OP with the trailer? 

Other than having loadouts (which sucks) and having to pay/grind to unlock weapons, it seems pretty good.

I am literally more exited about a halo mod for ARMA 3 as opposed to a F2P halo. One of the things I used to love in halo was the single player, CO OP in the campaign was THE best thing to me about H3 and reach, multiplayer was secondary.

Now it is just looks to be MP with F2P elements that will probably make the game completely different from the halo I want, hopefully not.

Maybe if the gameplay is similar to Halo 5, that has looked very interesting to me.

EDIT:

Just saw the trailer.

1. If you pause at 0:33 to 0:35 you will see that you can rent the guns for apparently insane amounts of ingame currency, and only for 30 minutes, 6 hours, or 24 hours.

Even at this stage it is not looking good.

2. I can see the players twitching all over the place, even in the trailer, that doesn't make me feel confident in the game.

I can't describe my disappointment.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

How is that childish and stupid? 

You realize its been a running joke (ever since Red vs Blue commented on it) about why Red and Blue are even fighting each other. 

Screw MS and 343 for actually giving it a canonical reason as to why Red and Blue spend their free time pounding each other into smithereens. You really have an issue with that simple of an explanation? That is nit picking of the highest order. And have you actually played MCC or Halo 5 

Halo 4 was too far removed from the simple balancing that made Halo what Halo is. I'll give you that. But MCC? Thats Halo CE, 2 and 3. The more traditional Halos with their balancing and holy trifecta of gunplay, melee and grenades. Halo 5 is closer to Halo 2/CE than any game before it with the same style of balancing. 

So once again, nit picking and quite frankly talking in a way that suggests you have in fact, no idea what you're talking about. 

I do know what I'm talking about thanks, it's called an opinion, and we seem to have differing ones, which is *gasp*... normal. I'm someone who misses the Halo 1-3 days, and doesn't like anything past 4.  Am I insulting MCC and Halo 5 MP? Yep, am I insulting you? Nope, so don't get all uppity.

The fact that this game is being developed by the same people who developed MCC, a collection with a terrible launch that is still being patched up, doesn't exactly leave me with high hopes for this title.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Its Halo 3 with a hell of a lot of weapon skins/variants and most importantly - EVERY SINGLE MAP EVER MADE. 

You'll notice that it has English. Weather this is for translation purposes or it suggest a proper worldwide release, who knows. You'll also notice that the graphic aren't complete shit. Well, slightly. PC components are expensive in Russia, hence the need to keep the game light. But this is the Halo 3 engine and that is hardly the worst looking thing to have even today, despite being nearly a decade old. 

It'll be curious to see how the balancing works. Halo works because everyone is the same. So if all they have for the "pay" portion is getting access to skins and design variants (but all having the same attributes) then this could work pretty well for Russia's market.  

Pause at 0:33, check the apparent weapon rental options.

Why did you bring this trailer to my attention, it has only brought me sadness :'(

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Pause at 0:33, check the apparent weapon rental options.

Why did you bring this trailer to my attention, it has only brought me sadness :'(

Hey, at least we know MS takes a part of the segment seriously enough to hand off their engine to get it done. Hope remains. 

Arguably, I want nothing but a proper Halo 5 port. But if they're gonna make a purpose built, MP only game of Halo? Yea, not gonna complain. Halo MP is the epitome of replay value, especially with Forge and the ability to make whatever level of insanity of a map you want.

Actually, there is your grand irony. MSs star franchise has a fully feature map maker. The same map maker that the devs themselves use. Bungie and 343 have been known to actually take community made Forge maps and put them in their OWN playlists, alongside selling their own DLC maps. 

What a world we live in. A console series is more friendly towards your wallets than most games period. 

Hey, at least we know MS takes a part of the segment seriously enough to hand off their engine to get it done. Hope remains. 

Arguably, I want nothing but a proper Halo 5 port. But if they're gonna make a purpose built, MP only game of Halo? Yea, not gonna complain. Halo MP is the epitome of replay value, especially with Forge and the ability to make whatever level of insanity of a map you want.

Actually, there is your grand irony. MSs star franchise has a fully feature map maker. The same map maker that the devs themselves use. Bungie and 343 have been known to actually take community made Forge maps and put them in their OWN playlists, alongside selling their own DLC maps. 

What a world we live in. A console series is more friendly towards your wallets than most games period. 

Halo 5 is the only halo I would want to play for now, it seems so well suited to the "halo universe" if you have read any of the books. (I am a bit of a fan)

So far it has looked amazing to me, the only issue is that MS would never put that on PC, not if it is able to inspire people like me to buy an entire console (which I will probably never do).

The thing is, we are talking about a F2P game, how likely is it that they are going to put in the co operative campaign that I desire, and even more, how likely is it that they are going to put in forge?

F2P games usually don't charge for maps, EVER, but they don't seem to have tools for making them either.

EDIT:

Post number 1001, hah.

Spoiler

Might actually be good if they dont fuck it up by making it P2W

Yeah, pause on the buy screen, this is 100% a shitty Battlefield Play 4 Free type game. This will be dogshit, as much as it pains me to say it.

Thanks for posting this!

Not liking the rental system (or maybe it is buy once and keep, I don't know) but other than that it looks pretty fun. Hopefully it will have more people on than Halo 4 does...last time I was on it had like 5000 people playing total. Matches were SO slow.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Thanks for posting this!

Not liking the rental system (or maybe it is buy once and keep, I don't know) but other than that it looks pretty fun. Hopefully it will have more people on than Halo 4 does...last time I was on it had like 5000 people playing total. Matches were SO slow.

Added to my OP about my opinions about the rental system. Its much better than the buy 2 win weapons that will stay with you forever so developers have to inflate prices to make you work a lot for them. A lot of the weapons of you watch carefully are balanced to themselves so that there isn't the fully upgraded weapon.

Updated OP and put in my opinion of examining the video further to hopefully qualm everyone about it being free.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

I don't get why some people are complaining. This is at least something. You shouldn't complain about getting more options, especially if it's for free.

With a bit of luck the game will be good and a hit, which might make them bring Halo 1, 2 and 3 to PC again.

Such a shame that it's Russia only, but hopefully that will change.

I agree, for all we know they're just testing the waters to see how people respond to it. Both through the amount that play it, and how many want it in other markets. :)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Make them go away by not partaking. Not sure why this is hard for people to grasp.

Because micro transactions shouldn't go away. Either deal with micro transactions or have subscription based games. Those are the only 2 options games can survive.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Because micro transactions shouldn't go away. Either deal with micro transactions or have subscription based games. Those are the only 2 options games can survive.

Or you know... Just release the game at full price and don't have microtransactions or subscriptions. That model worked for several decades so I don't see why it wouldn't work now. Hell it is still working.

Or you know... Just release the game at full price and don't have microtransactions or subscriptions. That model worked for several decades so I don't see why it wouldn't work now. Hell it is still working.

And yet Halo will not be as popular in developing markets where Halo will be integrated as a game and AI assistant on computers and phones if they didn't gain a fan base there with the most popular money genre.

With a target audience being Russia for beta, it's a completely different scope of console gaming, where pc is the most popular choice of gaming.

Since it's not a single player game, there is more than just creating a fan base.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

Well crap... It seems like it is pay 2 win. At about 27 seconds into the trailer you can see a ton of bonuses you can get by paying "gold". The armor bonuses ranges from increased melee damage to faster shield recharge.

The weapon bonuses (which you rent) increases things like damage, rate of fire and accuracy. Oh and you can pay to have the magnum modified to be like the Halo 1 magnum (super accurate, deals lots of damage and has a 2x scope).

why do the commies get all the luck !

Because u don't read the whole post. Answer is there ;)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

The fact that they are using the burnt out Halo 3 engine is impressive, that engine started development in early 2005 so you can imagine how that game is going to run on the lower end PC's that they are targeting. Although in the trailer it looks like they are pushing its limits with more Halo Reach like textures while still remaining the core Halo 3 mechanics and backdrops. Weapon mods are a nice touch that add on to the personality of the game and the new armor sets are pretty decent looking too. I'd play it if I could and I think they should have allowed Saber Interactive to roll it out for all regions. As an Xbox owner I love Halo and as PC gamer I'd love to be able to have a reason to play Halo on my PC.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | Motherboard: ASUS Republic of Gamers Maximus VI Hero | RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz DDR3 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Case: Fractal Design R4 | Storage: 240 GB Intel 530 Series SSD (Boot) 1 TB Seagate Barracuda (Data) | OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview | PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W Bronze | Cooler: Corsair H75 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 non RGB w/ blue switches | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB | Headset: Corsair VOID Yellowjacket | Laptop: ASUS Q550LF 

This guy in the YouTube comments just pointed this out...

bc8367616e.png

So phew, and now we wait.

COMIC SANS

That model only works for single player games. I don't know of a single MMO that doesn't have microtransactions or subscriptions.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Halo died when M$ bought bungie.

MS never bought bungie....

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Being a die hard Halo 3 lover the Halo 3 Engine make me cringe. I loved Halo 3 don't get me wrong but this is NOT the way to approach this. All I see is an F2P with nostalgia for original Halo fans and interesting new stuff new players.

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

That model only works for single player games. I don't know of a single MMO that doesn't have microtransactions or subscriptions.

Let's make things 100% clear because I don't want you backpedaling after this post. We are talking about Halo, not some MMORPG.

If you want examples of games mainly played online then here are a few off the top of my head:

Previous Halo games.

Call of Duty games

Battlefield series

Diablo 2 and 3

SimCity

Counter Strike

Quake

Starcraft

Warcraft

Minecraft

Titanfall

Just to name a few. You can have a multiplayer game without constantly extracting money from your players.

Let's make things 100% clear because I don't want you backpedaling after this post. We are talking about Halo, not some MMORPG.

If you want examples of games mainly played online then here are a few off the top of my head:

Previous Halo games.

Call of Duty games

Battlefield series

Diablo 2 and 3

SimCity

Counter Strike

Quake

Starcraft

Warcraft

Minecraft

Titanfall

Just to name a few. You can have a multiplayer game without constantly extracting money from your players.

Never mentioned MMORPGs, a game doesn't have to be a RPG to be an MMO. And most of those games you named were released before the industry moved towards subscription/micro transactions. And CoD and/battlefield/Titanfall has microtransactions, they call it a DLC. Paying to unlock weapons? That is a microtransaction, companies just decided to name it a DLC, when it doesn't add any more content. Just makes you pay to unlock content you COULD get for free.

Rather than weapon upgrades which i think will make this game TOTALLY different that what Halo 3 (what its based on) was. I'd much rather prefer if Microsoft used Valve's format from CS with paid skins/decals for armor, weapons, and vehicles. Nonetheless it is Halo and I will definitely try it!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)