Thermal paste removal

Theral

So I received my new fan from amazon today but then realised that i don't have any of that propylol alcohol thingy (to remove the thermal paste) but I have got some white spirit which does have the right amount of percentage alcohol level so would this work???. I'd prefer to have it done by today but can wait to buy or aquire some of this alcohol. Also could someone tell me the correct name of it. 

Help is appreciated.

use an advantage rag

Edit; or underwear 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Spirit will work, even just toilet paper will work

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

DO NOT USE WHITE SPIRIT. It's called Isopropyl Alcohol, and you need 80% alcohol at least really.

The white spirit could leave some residue. The proper name is Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

You can literally use anything to remove it. Just got to make sure its properly dry before installing the heatsink. And its isopropyl alcohol.

So I received my new fan from amazon today but then realised that i don't have any of that propylol alcohol thingy (to remove the thermal paste) but I have got some white spirit which does have the right amount of percentage alcohol level so would this work???. I'd prefer to have it done by today but can wait to buy or aquire some of this alcohol. Also could someone tell me the correct name of it. 

Help is appreciated.

I would recommend getting some isopropyl alcohol since white spirits is basically a type of paint thinner it will need to flash off, and possibly leave a residue as Frankie said, you can however use a barely damp paper towel, it won't clean deep into the pores of the metal but won't have any effect on heat transfer.

I used one of these kinds of alcohol wipes to clean dried paste when I replaced my stock cooler. They wipe off paste like a dream with a bit of quick rubbing, and they do it cleanly as well. With one wipe and using both sides, I was able to clean it to a shiny polish. Because they were 70% IPA wipes, there were some tiny drops of water that needed to be evaporated or wiped, just smaller than a size of a quarter of an uncooked grain of rice.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

White Spirit works, but its better to just buy rubbing alcohol, should cost you like $1-3USD and last you a life time, since you can use it to remove sharpie marks on tables etc, if yuou cut yourself to clean wound,  clean yout tablet/phone screen like Luke does.

Lighter fluid works pretty well too... instantly weakens the layer and makes it super easy to wipe off...

But..."Do as they say, not as I do"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

100% serious you can use wd-40 to remove the grease and then johnny walker blue label whiskey after that. Ive used it 6 times and have perfect thermals.

Better get some rubbing alcohol or advantage rag like from scrapyard wars series

methylated spirits (10% methanol in 90% ethanol), lighter fluid, xylene solvents, they all work, BUT you still need to wipe it off with 70%+ isopropyl alcohol in the end since the purpose is to not leave any residue so basically, why bother using anything else (Unless you got really hard dry thermal paste to remove) However, not everything works, NEVER use any acetone or ethyl acetate based solvents, this can disolve many plastics, and unless i know the exact chemical composition of every polymer used on a CPU and motherboard, i would keep them away from my electronics. 

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10