Thinking of a mechanical keyboard

I'm having a hard time choosing what mechanical keyboard I should buy. I've been using a membrane for over 7 years so I think It's about time for a change. I'm playing a lot of Counter-Strike (especially CS Source) and I do a lot of bunnyhopping and longjumping which means that I need to mash my A and D keys quite fast. I think MX Red switches would suite my playing style quite well. I really don't care about LEDs I just need the keyboard to be durable and not a tenkeyless. If you think you know a good one for me then please let me know.

Thanks in advance

corsair k70?

ducky has a bunch of good ones too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The CM storm quickfire tk appears to be the options for the cheap category, It's only $100US

So, I have had a mechanical keyboard for about a year now, been playing csgo as well.

1. I wish I had gone Tenkeyless. I have the Roccat Ryos MK PRO, regret it now.

2. I wish I had gone with MX Reds. The MX Browns feel like they get stuck when you press them, and in general doesn't feel like quality.

What would I recommend? Well, I would go for either a Corsair K70 (I think it is) or any Coolermaster ones. Maybe even Razer, although I have heard about terrible quality on some of their products.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I'm having a hard time choosing what mechanical keyboard I should buy. I've been using a membrane for over 7 years so I think It's about time for a change. I'm playing a lot of Counter-Strike (especially CS Source) and I do a lot of bunnyhopping and longjumping which means that I need to mash my A and D keys quite fast. I think MX Red switches would suite my playing style quite well. 

Red/Black linear switches are "gamer preferred" at that point it just becomes an issue of which "weight" you prefer - go try them out in a store as everyone is different and you're going to have a hard time deciding without actually physically trying it out. 

As for the rest of the buying decision, buy based on the features that matter to you - backlit? media keys? rigidity of the frame?  It's really hard to recommend if you don't have a solid idea in your head what matters. 

Me for example, I use Browns because i like the Blue's tactile feedback, but I live and work around .... people so I don't have that luxury - Browns are a good compromise of that typing feel (since i'm a productivity user first and a gamer second).

As for my preferences - I need something that is backlit (I game/watch movies in the dark regularly) and something that has media keys because of the frequency of which I watch movies/listen to music. It's always a MUST for me to have those on hand so that I can quickly play/pause/next and use volume controls without mousing to the appropriate app. 

Happy hunting! Mech Keyboards are amazing and you'll never go back once you get one.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

I had Microsoft keyboards before I bought a K60. What a difference! Going with Reds for your first mechanical keyboard can't go wrong.

I'm having a hard time choosing what mechanical keyboard I should buy. I've been using a membrane for over 7 years so I think It's about time for a change. I'm playing a lot of Counter-Strike (especially CS Source) and I do a lot of bunnyhopping and longjumping which means that I need to mash my A and D keys quite fast. I think MX Red switches would suite my playing style quite well. I really don't care about LEDs I just need the keyboard to be durable and not a tenkeyless. If you think you know a good one for me then please let me know.

Thanks in advance

You can check out the link in my sig about this. But my friend, make sure you put things in the correct subforum! I usually chill in the Peripherals subforum and I would have never seen this otherwise if I had not been browsing!

If you want reds then pretty much any keyboard with reds is fine - one of the safest switches to find keyboards for. But please do get back with the switch result from the quiz in my key switch thread link in my sig.

Here's the current cheapest (and also, conveniently, one of the best) Cherry MX Red keyboards out there http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-keyboard-sgk4020gkcr1us

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The Das professional 4 has a seriously good build quality but doesnt go for the 'gamer' theme at all.

You can consider these too. For the price it does so many things good. I actually order the Blackbird model from US a couple of years back. Still no problems with it. 

Corsair is good but I'm simply tired of their c** software and don't even start me on Razer keyboards. Had one and it did not last more than 6 months..

The K70 is great :D Would recommend to anyone. I have the Vengeance K70 with Red LED Backlight and Cherry MX Browns. Coming from a crappy membrane keyboard (That cost £5 from Woolworths (So extra crap)) its like an orgasm for your fingers, everytime you type :D

I have the corsair k70 RGB and I absolutely love it. I have the red switches and they are the best! You don't have to get the RGB as you said you might not like it but wow I really love this keyboard!

I just recently switched over from a Logitech G19S (membrane) to the G910 Orion Spark, and I personally like the new switches much more than any others I tried (never got a chance to try blues) while seemingly being the best for people just making the switch over. It's pricey, but I like being able to drop my phone onto the build in charger.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

So, I have had a mechanical keyboard for about a year now, been playing csgo as well.

2. I wish I had gone with MX Reds. The MX Browns feel like they get stuck when you press them, and in general doesn't feel like quality.

What would I recommend? Well, I would go for either a Corsair K70 (I think it is) or any Coolermaster ones. Maybe even Razer, although I have heard about terrible quality on some of their products.

Razer's mechanical keyboard is pretty good, but they're blue switches (I think there's a brown model, too).

Cherry Red is good as long as you don't plan to do a whole lot of typing, I've found I get a lot of weird typos because they don't have feedback on the switches until it bottoms out. Otherwise, browns are a good balance. Blues aren't bad either, but they're loud.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

OK guys thank you for all your help I really appreciate it. All these suggestions helped me a lot and after reading a whole bunch of Amazon reviews and YouTube reviews I've narrowed down to two specific keyboards that I really like:

Quickfire TK - It has Red switches available and seems to be quite sturdy and durable. I also like that it has the size of a tenkeyless without sacrificing the numpad.

K70 - The metal construction looks even more durable than the Quickfire TK and the amount of negative reviews is extremely small (mostly minor complaints). It has Red switches available as well. the only thing that I don't like is the price tag which is quite expensive to me (140€ where I live).

So at the moment I'm leaning a bit more towards the Quickfire TK but I haven't fully decided yet.

I think I'll take my time making this decision and I'll read even more reviews and figure out which one is best for me.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I've heard bad things about Razer's quality as well. It's actually very weird. Some people experience broken scroll wheels after a weak of using their mice. But I've also heard of people who use DeathAdders for over 5 years without any durability issues. It's really random... I personally use a few Razer products myself (DeathAdder 2013 and Kraken Neon) and the only issue I have encountered is a squeaky scroll wheel. My friend also has a DeathAdder and he's been using it for over 1,5 years and still no problems. I guess Razer is just really inconsistent

I've heard bad things about Razer's quality as well. It's actually very weird. Some people experience broken scroll wheels after a weak of using their mice. But I've also heard of people who use DeathAdders for over 5 years without any durability issues. It's really random... I personally use a few Razer products myself (DeathAdder 2013 and Kraken Neon) and the only issue I have encountered is a squeaky scroll wheel. My friend also has a DeathAdder and he's been using it for over 1,5 years and still no problems. I guess Razer is just really inconsistent

Older DAs were better which is why a lot have lasted that long.

Also, I wouldn't wait on the Quickfire TK. Cooler Master's pricing has been fluctuating a lot lately.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||