Is something fried up?

Go to solution Solved by G33k 4 L1F3,

Reset the CMOS battery on the motherboard, and wait for about 5 minutes to ten. Then reboot and run hardware diagnostics, to check the health of all of your systems components.

Here's the thing:

I've overclocked my rig since I built it back in early 2012. It has been working fine up to 2015, but for some weird reason I thought it would be a good idea to re-visit the settings and maybe get an extra power. maybe too much.

Originally I've overclocked my CPU from stock 3.1 GHz to 3.6 GHz.with no voltage increase, no weird tweaks, no nothing... just a plain increase in multiplier and DDR3 speeds through XMP, and it worked great. Then just some weeks ago, I decided to see how far could I get without destroying my computer. Somehow, I got 5.0 GHz, I ramped up the HyperTransport to 2.6 GHz, the Base clock was something like 250 MHz, the RAM was 1933 MHz I think,and I gave a boost to the VRM clocks and increased most of the voltages about 0.3v.

The system worked for the first night, and I was amazed! It was almost a completely new system! the temps were high though, like 102ºC for the VRM's, and the CPU was well in the 85ºC range. The next morning, I turned on my computer, and the (almost obvious) instabilities started. I decided to go back to my old settings, but since a couple of days my computer doesn't POST unless I unplug it from the wall for a minute or so and then plug it back on. It turns on for like 3 seconds and then turns off. After the unplug-replug thing it starts behaving normally.

My rig is an AMD FX8120, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1866MHz and GTX 660Ti, and a cheap-ass CoolIt Eco ALC Watercooler.

I have already cleared the settings several times, and the problem persists.

-= I'm TheXDS! =-

Have you removed the CMOS for 5 minutes?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Here's the thing:

I've overclocked my rig since I built it back in early 2012. It has been working fine up to 2015, but for some weird reason I thought it would be a good idea to re-visit the settings and maybe get an extra power. maybe too much.

Originally I've overclocked my CPU from stock 3.1 GHz to 3.6 GHz.with no voltage increase, no weird tweaks, no nothing... just a plain increase in multiplier and DDR3 speeds through XMP, and it worked great. Then just some weeks ago, I decided to see how far could I get without destroying my computer. Somehow, I got 5.0 GHz, I ramped up the HyperTransport to 2.6 GHz, the Base clock was something like 250 MHz, the RAM was 1933 MHz I think,and I gave a boost to the VRM clocks and increased most of the voltages about 0.3v.

The system worked for the first night, and I was amazed! It was almost a completely new system! the temps were high though, like 102ºC for the VRM's, and the CPU was well in the 85ºC range. The next morning, I turned on my computer, and the (almost obvious) instabilities started. I decided to go back to my old settings, but since a couple of days my computer doesn't POST unless I unplug it from the wall for a minute or so and then plug it back on. It turns on for like 3 seconds and then turns off. After the unplug-replug thing it starts behaving normally.

My rig is an AMD FX8120, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1866MHz and GTX 660Ti, and a cheap-ass CoolIt Eco ALC Watercooler.

After reading around the internet, the max operating temperature is 61C (which I find hard to believe) of the FX-8120. I think you could have damaged it.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Here's the thing:

FX series is built to withstand up to 95C or so, but only for a short amount of time. 61C operating core temp is correct, so running it at 85C for a sustained amount of time probably would damage it.

I'm more concerned that you the vrms pinned at over 100C, even on a Sabertooth that can't be good long-term.

Do the normal routine, pull out all but one stick of ram, strip out anything unnecessary, run it basic. Maybe the worst that happened is a stick of ram failed.

Might also want to take a look at your PSU output just to be sure. If you can get into the BIOS you should be able to check each rail to see if they are all within spec.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Reset the CMOS battery on the motherboard, and wait for about 5 minutes to ten. Then reboot and run hardware diagnostics, to check the health of all of your systems components.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

After reading around the internet, the max operating temperature is 61C (which I find hard to believe) of the FX-8120. I think you could have damaged it.

FX series is built to withstand up to 95C or so, but only for a short amount of time. 61C operating core temp is correct, so running it at 85C for a sustained amount of time probably would damage it.

I'm more concerned that you the vrms pinned at over 100C, even on a Sabertooth that can't be good long-term.

Do the normal routine, pull out all but one stick of ram, strip out anything unnecessary, run it basic. Maybe the worst that happened is a stick of ram failed.

Might also want to take a look at your PSU output just to be sure. If you can get into the BIOS you should be able to check each rail to see if they are all within spec.

Accordingly to some sources the VRM's should whitstand temperatures of around 85°C up to 120°C but I was concerned as these numbers look crazy high...

...aaaand, the CPU temperature I took was on the thermal diode on the motherboard, the temps reported by the CPU itself are like 20-30°C lower... I've just tested this yesterday, my motherboard would report 70°C while my CPU only ~50°C

I'll check the RAM first. My PSU is at the very least decent, is a Corsair HX850. I've already probed the PWR_GOOD and it's healthy. I might clean the pins just for good measure.

-= I'm TheXDS! =-

Just a quick follow up:

The problem is fixed now. It appears that somehow, the motherboard was unable to clear the settings of my 5GHz attempt. The HT link was stuck at 2.6 GHz and the CPU was actually throttling-up while idle (yes, the CPU clock went up instead of down when idling! crazy... )

Now I revised every setting I could see. My computer is happy again, and even I got a decent and perfectly stable 4.1GHz while the CPU is below 60ºC :D and VRM1 is at 70ºC

-= I'm TheXDS! =-

Just a quick follow up:

The problem is fixed now. It appears that somehow, the motherboard was unable to clear the settings of my 5GHz attempt. The HT link was stuck at 2.6 GHz and the CPU was actually throttling-up while idle (yes, the CPU clock went up instead of down when idling! crazy... )

Now I revised every setting I could see. My computer is happy again, and even I got a decent and perfectly stable 4.1GHz while the CPU is below 60ºC :D and VRM1 is at 70ºC

Awesome! Glad to hear its running smooth and you didn't lose any components.

Enjoy! :D

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.