Is there still hope for PC?

Laurysss

I believe you are correct that there have been a lot of shitty ports, but the real question I find is "Is there still hope for the gaming industry?" 

I feel like that consoles will slowly die out as time goes on. Why? I think that the subscription to play online will turn people off eventually, as subscription doesn't  necessarily improve service (as seen through Sony hacks and constant DDoS attacks). We are also seeing games performing horribly on all ports. We can also look at Sony's entire business and just see that the other departments bring them at a loss. While Microsoft is not losing money as a company, they too are actually finally realizing that PC is a gaming platform and trying to support it. If anything I think steamboxes (or consoles similar to a PC) will be a bigger hit later.

Now games are being delayed because they failed to meet their goal (probably a couple of days/week before the original release date). The entire idea of a deadline is to have a finished working product by that date, whether that be assignments, software, or whatnot. I'm starting to lose trust in many of these companies because they either don't have a finished product by the deadline and push it, or their product doesn't work well after being released on the deadline. I feel like these game industries forget that they are also software companies, and doing this in any software company is completely unacceptable. AAA games no longer carry the same meaning since there are many crowd-funded/indie games having much more enjoyable experiences than recent AAA games. Most of my hope is on indie/crowd-funded companies because they seem to have more innovation than the big companies, which strikes me odd because you would expect bigger companies to have the more refined products.

indies cant do shit. They dont have money... i would lovely give away all of EA's money to indie devs.

And why do you think sub. to play online will turn people off? People will pay and pay and pay. Even if people start complaining about that , it woulnt be enough.

I just hope for the best...

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Do you not notice what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10? 

What? I remember something about games.... Microsoft Live without paying?

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

PLZ name some i can only get like watch dogs 

Far cry 4. Unity. Dying Light.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

indies cant do shit.

I don't necessarily think that is true. Hotline Miami 2, Darkest Dungeon, Divinity: Original Sin are all PC games that I felt are pretty fun (if you like those kind of genres). I also feel that they bring something new to the table. We can also look at other upcoming games like Star Citizen. I even find Crowfall quite interesting for a crowd funded games. I think Pantheon might also have potential, though I think they've slowed down. Indie games will hopefully be the source of innovation, since bigger companies seem like they want to cling onto their same technologies and IP.

Here fixes FC4 down scale the textures Unitiy don't play it Dying light lower the draw distance there all fixed 

Here fixes FC4 down scale the textures Unitiy don't play it Dying light lower the draw distance there all fixed 

well fuck me then. Going to try the new amd 15.3 driver.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

I don't necessarily think that is true. Hotline Miami 2, Darkest Dungeon, Divinity: Original Sin are all PC games that I felt are pretty fun (if you like those kind of genres). I also feel that they bring something new to the table. We can also look at other upcoming games like Star Citizen. I even find Crowfall quite interesting for a crowd funded games. I think Pantheon might also have potential, though I think they've slowed down. Indie games will hopefully be the source of innovation, since bigger companies seem like they want to cling onto their same technologies and IP.

well i mean like they cant do big stuff. Those games are fun but not "BIG" or something.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

well fuck me then. Going to try the new amd 15.3 driver.

Ok dude wtf is you're deal do you just want a shit storm or did you just have a bad day

Ok dude wtf is you're deal do you just want a shit storm or did you just have a bad day

not joking those "fixes" dont work for me. however the latest amd patch might do something. One guy got 10fps more on Dying Light.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

With all these recent shitty ports its just depressing. When I first got my pc there was so many good games to play. Now I finished them and is there anything good to play? Yeah a few games but definetely not enough.

Not everybody can afford 4x980 to run shitty ports at 60 fps. Atleast we still have some good companies. Telltale <3

Game requirments today:

And minimum is a lie.

4x980 pfffttt Get 4 way SLI Titan X ftw. kappa*

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

"Not everybody can afford 4x980 to run shitty ports at 60 fps. Atleast we still have some good companies. Telltale <3"

I found this really funny because telltales games run like shit and you probably wouldn't get 60fps with 4 980's

anyway you're problem is that you're focusing on shitty aaa games

Says the guy who has a PC that can run almost anything on the highest settings at 60FPS....

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

All I can say is, if the PC gaming scene was dying, Nvidia and AMD would slow down on making cards and LTT would have less content and would have no point in ever building gaming rigs.

I do have to say that I've notice a sudden rise and slight fall in activity in the PC building world. But who knows, maybe the developers are waiting for DX12.

Also I've noticed people just being lazy when it comes to computers. A lot of people I talk to find it either too complicated or too time consuming, especially since most of the people I know and talk to grew up on the consoles and can't see themselves moving over to the PC just for better graphics, when all their friends are on console.

Considering that even on low, an average gaming PC outdoes a console by a ridiculous margin,

The question is "why is console still a thing?". Even with settings turned to low, we still get 60hz and 1080p, and can choose our settings, as well as get updates and mods and what not to make things better, console gets: NOTHING

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I still remember when upgrading PC to meet game requirement was part of the fun of PC gaming. Maybe that's just me being a geek first gamer second, that was way before PC vs Console debate ever came up.

I don't hate consoles, I grew up on a NES(clone) and wish that some console titles are available on the PC (probably just Gran Turismo series and some jRPG, don't care for the rest), but steam sale, humble bundle, GOG, and occasionally free Origin games are hard to ignore.

PC will have a future, probably just the operating system market share that might change.

Ps. I see people arguing that on the PC you can do a lot more than consoles, but I'd rather argue that I prefer sitting on my desk rather than my couch, and sitting on a desk with a console controller feels weird.

With Windows 10 and cross platform between Xone and PC, we may have really great ports.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

i am still runnin my pc with a old phenom 2 955 lol

dumped a 290x in it and now i no longer play on my ps4 lol

kinda regret the huge digital collection i got on my ps4 now lol

Considering that even on low, an average gaming PC outdoes a console by a ridiculous margin,

The question is "why is console still a thing?". Even with settings turned to low, we still get 60hz and 1080p, and can choose our settings, as well as get updates and mods and what not to make things better, console gets: NOTHING

Well yeah, we can choose what fps we want but i dont think lowest settings on pc look better. So console games dont get updates?...

NAZIS WILL RISE.

With Windows 10 and cross platform between Xone and PC, we may have really great ports.

That would be awesome.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

"Not everybody can afford 4x980 to run shitty ports at 60 fps. Atleast we still have some good companies. Telltale <3"

I found this really funny because telltales games run like shit and you probably wouldn't get 60fps with 4 980's

anyway you're problem is that you're focusing on shitty aaa games

you know what I meant saying 4x980 - "Not everybody can spend thousands of dollars to run shitty ports at 60fps".

Since when telltale games dont run good?... And i wasnt really talking about companies that have good optimization.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Says the guy who has a PC that can run almost anything on the highest settings at 60FPS....

Am I the guy? haha yeah... dreaming isnt illegal.

NAZIS WILL RISE.

SNIP

There are actually not THAT many bad console ports, its a handful of AAA titles, everything else generally runs just fine on most PCs, especially when using appropriate settings

With a low - mid tier computer, you can only expect to run games at 1080p 30-60fps medium to high settings, that has almost always been true

Its like complaining that your ford focus is slower than a Ferrari but complaining that you cannot go fast, generally as each new game comes out they push the graphics and physics etc in order to make the game more appealing, thus the minimum requirements go UP and weaker rigs struggle more

The bad ports of some AAA titles do not help, but you will find that less powerful machines will struggle more as time goes on and games get more demanding, mostly because developers are pushing capabilities

The PC is fine.. I dont understand your "is there still hope" - PC gaming is stronger than it ever has been right now

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There are actually not THAT many bad console ports, its a handful of AAA titles, everything else generally runs just fine on most PCs, especially when using appropriate settings

With a low - mid tier computer, you can only expect to run games at 1080p 30-60fps medium to high settings, that has almost always been true

Its like complaining that your ford focus is slower than a Ferrari but complaining that you cannot go fast, generally as each new game comes out they push the graphics and physics etc in order to make the game more appealing, thus the minimum requirements go UP and weaker rigs struggle more

The bad ports of some AAA titles do not help, but you will find that less powerful machines will struggle more as time goes on and games get more demanding, mostly because developers are pushing capabilities

The PC is fine.. I dont understand your "is there still hope" - PC gaming is stronger than it ever has been right now

Some games just refuse to get 60fps even if the settings are all low. I am not even on 1080P(1680x1050).

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Some games just refuse to get 60fps even if the settings are all low. I am not even on 1080P(1680x1050).

You only have an R9 270, its not the most powerful card

Strange though I would assume at 1050p Medium to High settings would give you 60fps in 95% of games.

what games can you not run at 60fps?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii