is an SSD worth it or is it better to use an cheaper HDD

zebo
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

just in general use and do you need it for booting windows (probably not but better safe then sorry)

Hey zebo,

The guys basically gave you all the input. SSDs generally make the system much more responsive, decrease all loading times and increase rapidly all transfer speeds. They run much cooler, practically make no sound and take up less space. It's worth getting one if you can afford it. 
The downsides of SSDs are that they are still pretty expensive per GB and that if it happens to fail, there is basically no way to retrieve data from them (even data recovery companies have little chance of doing that).

Captain_WD.

just in general use and do you need it for booting windows (probably not but better safe then sorry)

Do you need it? - No

Is it worth every penny? - Yes

I would pick up a cheap 120/250 SSD you won't regret it.

Edit: Assuming you're using it for speed. If your using it for backups or a big data house traditional HDDs are still recommended.

fwiw I'll never again have an HDD based system.

HDD for mass storage only.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

you don't NEED it, but I would say that I need it.

it makes life easier. it reduces the amount of time you spend waiting for your computer to get it's crap together, and on a laptop it can dramatically increase battery life.

on the battery life note, the difference is significant with most drives and a bit less significant with sandforce drives, which have on the fly compression to achieve their rated write and read speeds, but it consumes power nearly as much as a mechanical hard drive

my 840 evo improved my notebook from 6 hours to 9 hours battery life.

you don't NEED it, but I would say that I need it.

it makes life easier. it reduces the amount of time you spend waiting for your computer to get it's crap together, and on a laptop it can dramatically increase battery life.

on the battery life note, the difference is significant with most drives and a bit less significant with sandforce drives, which have on the fly compression to achieve their rated write and read speeds, but it consumes power nearly as much as a mechanical hard drive

my 840 evo improved my notebook from 6 hours to 9 hours battery life.

can it increase any performance in applications like video editing

I manage to game happily and do other stuff with my pc and I have never had an SSD.  Amazing eh?  As for the OP needing it just to have as a boot drive uh no that really isn't a great reason to get one.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

If you were using very large, high bitrate files it could help perhaps if you were constantly dragging and dropping video files from SSD to SSD, it could help yes.

But if you were going from HDD to SSD or from SSD to HDD, the HDD would slow down the performance of the transfering of files if they were very large.

But it won't make things render quicker AFAIK.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Instant..and i mean INSTANT access opening applications.

Windows in general is MUCH better for it's operations on an SSD.

I'll never go back to Windows on a normal HDD again.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hey zebo,

The guys basically gave you all the input. SSDs generally make the system much more responsive, decrease all loading times and increase rapidly all transfer speeds. They run much cooler, practically make no sound and take up less space. It's worth getting one if you can afford it. 
The downsides of SSDs are that they are still pretty expensive per GB and that if it happens to fail, there is basically no way to retrieve data from them (even data recovery companies have little chance of doing that).

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/