Why is it WASD and not ESDF?

CostcoSamples

well?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

It is standard, everyone is used to it so it would be strange to change.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Because it's the most natural position for one's hand on a keyboard. It's also closer to shift, ctrl and tab, which are important

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Doesn't sound as good. :P

I believe it is more comfortable/easier to use.

Why isn't it ,AOE? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Why isn't it ,AOE? 

Age of Empires

Age of Empires

dvorak

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

ESDF is more natural, its the home typing position.  Still gives good access to numbers, ctrl, shift etc.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

ESDF is more natural, its the home typing position.  Still gives good access to numbers, ctrl, shift etc.

Just remap the bloody keys.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Not really. I have large hands and my fingers have to stretch in an uncomfortable way to reach ctrl with ESDF. WSAD my fingers rest there, feels a whole lot more natural

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Because not everyone has big hands and it makes it easier to reach the shift and ctrl keys. But you can always change all your key binding on games if you don't like it, that is the magic of PC games.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

because of , caps,tab,123,shift,alt,ctrl,space etc.

and everyone is used to it

i know a youtuber that uses numpad as wasd , num 8546 lol, its really weird

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ESDF is more natural, its the home typing position. Still gives good access to numbers, ctrl, shift etc.

My home typing keys are WASD lol

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Presumably, someone made a popular game that used WASD and people copied it until it became the standard. Practically, it allows you to reach CTRL, shift, alt, tab, and 1-6 quite easily.

I don't know how you were taught, but I was taught to hold my hands on asdf (left) and jkl; (right) while typing. It doesn't matter much if it "still gives good access," for it's not the optimal access that game creators seek. If it bothers you, you can always remap your keys in games that allow for it or you could set up keyboard profiles that move the keys around a bit. It's unlikely that they'll change the default layout anytime soon as it's too widely accepted at the moment.

Is it not obvious by placing your fingers on the KB why it is this way?

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

I raided in WoW for many years using ESDF with E being forward and S+F to strafe/mouse to turn, its really no different just moved over a little :)

Wasn't always WASD, anyone remember the arrow keys? They likely moved it to the left because of mouse integration into FPS.

WASD

-Easier to reach the number row.

-Easier to reach Ctrl, Shift

-Its at the edge of the keyboard ,

ESDF is more natural, its the home typing position. Still gives good access to numbers, ctrl, shift etc.

I can't reach control at all on ESDF, it's extremely uncomfortable.

I can't reach control at all on ESDF, it's extremely uncomfortable.

Alright, but there is no reason ctrl has to be used.  with ESDF you've got extra buttons to the left: w, q,a,z,x  etc.  no need for ctrl or tab.   

I'm not saying I dislike WASD, just wondering why it became the default and not ESDF which is more natural in terms of being at the home typing position.  Did it start with a specific game?  I think it was right around the time of Quake, Unreal, Duke Nukem 3D etc.  If I remember correctly, Doom was played using the arrow keys.

PC Build

Desk Build