Why does no-one design removable VRAM?

Bittenfleax

I have always though this, why don't they just make it so you can add sticks of VRAM (just like you can do with normal RAM)? 

Surely if someone did this they will get lots of sales because people could get like 16GB of VRAM on a lower end card without paying $2000. Is it "impossible" for GPU manufactures to do?! 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Space restrictions and cost.

Look at how much space those chips on the card take up. Then look how much space your RAM takes up.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They want you to buy a cheap card, then buy an expensive card with more VRAM. That means more money for them. Not only would it be expensive to develop.

because in general Vram is placed closer to the gpu for latency reasons, as well as the added cost of a connector, the need for standardizing a module for GDDDR5 memory, added size for the card, etc etc.

^ simply doesnt weigh up to the few cases where you'd actually even want to change the amount of Vram, since mostly cards come with the amount they were designed for, less would bottleneck the chip, more would be wasted.

They want you to buy a cheap card, then buy an expensive card with more VRAM. That means more money for them. Not only would it be expensive to develop.

Space restrictions and cost.

Look at how much space those chips on the card take up. Then look how much space your RAM takes up.

Very true. But it could be possible right? About the space, they could just make smaller RAM sticks/modules like Laptop RAM? (or even smaller)  

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

because in general Vram is placed closer to the gpu for latency reasons, as well as the added cost of a connector, the need for standardizing a module for GDDDR5 memory, added size for the card, etc etc.

^ simply doesnt weigh up to the few cases where you'd actually even want to change the amount of Vram, since mostly cards come with the amount they were designed for, less would bottleneck the chip, more would be wasted.

Hmm true, that is a good point. 

Very true. But it could be possible right? About the space, they could just make smaller RAM sticks/modules like Laptop RAM? (or even smaller)  

Yup could be very possible. It's like oil, they can make the entire world run on renewable resources, but that would mean less money :P

With the industries inevitable move over to HBM, GPU memory won't even be accessible, even if you previously had the technical know-how and the right tools to change/add/remove GDDR5 chips.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

the problem is the connectors would take up a lot of space on the card, meaning they would have to be vertical like RAM, and that would make the GPU take 4+ slots...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it was done before, i just cant remember the name of card >_< it was back from the sdram days or something.