New CPU!

-snip-

Yeah, not everyone is comfortable getting used, although you would be getting an excellent price to performance ratio on used i7, provided everything works.

No overclock? Yeah, you should be fine then with the 980 mobo. I would still recommend you populate as many fan slots as you can, so those vrms get some wind over them.

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

Yeah. But you forgot to add the new PC case I need. I have a mini ATX one at the moment. The board won't fit and I thought I made that clear enough on the first post!

It will. The MSI h81 p33 is micro atx.

*sigh* Every board I go to: Buy this for 400$ or buy this for 900$. I said 220$ not more and I don't want a dual core i3 because I don't wanna play games. I want horse power for photoshop and twitch streaming. I can't AFFORD MORE and I certainly won't get a dual core for video editing and so on. LIVE WITH IT!

you asked why i regret my purchased. i explained. i dont give a flying fuck about you. i told you what I should've done. don't do what i did if doesnt suit you. not my fucking problem you can't afford whatever the hell you need. you asked why i regret my purchased, I answered. i never told you to buy anything. FFS. are you 12?

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

*sigh* Every board I go to: Buy this for 400$ or buy this for 900$. I said 220$ not more and I don't want a dual core i3 because I don't wanna play games. I want horse power for photoshop and twitch streaming. I can't AFFORD MORE and I certainly won't get a dual core for video editing and so on. LIVE WITH IT!

It depends on what you're doing. Photoshop really doesn't need much horsepower. It does scale with as many cores as you can throw at it, but it doesn't need them for good performance. The high IPC and four logical cores of a Haswell i3 are definitely going to be plenty, and probably faster, there. The FX-6300 would pull ahead only in highly parallelized tasks, such as video encoding in Handbrake. What Photoshop needs is a lot of fast RAM and a good scratch disk, and even then only when working on huge documents that not even most professionals regularly handle.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/11/14/intel-core-i3-4130-haswell-review/3

For what it's worth ^^^

If you really, really just want to go with with AMD on this just get the FX-6300. It wouldn't be my choice, but it's probably close enough that you'd never know the difference. But if that's the case I have to wonder why you're asking for opinions.

Dude an i5 4440 and h81 board cost less than your budget.

I5 4440 : 170$

MSI h81 p33 : 42$

Overall price : 212$

So no it won't beat your price point -.-

Yeah. But you forgot to add the new PC case I need. I have a mini ATX one at the moment. The board won't fit and I thought I made that clear enough on the first post!

^

Best Answer this Already.

i5 for Processing Power

Motherboard fits in your existing case.

For the SAME/SIMILAR Cost to you.....It Smash's the fuck out of the FX processors in all things (bar saving a few seconds every 10 mins of video editing, FX's main strength)

/Thread over

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

In Games yes. In enviroments where you need multicore performance: No.

Proof: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3220-vs-AMD-FX-6300 (Scroll at the benchmarks)

I don't believe in benchmarks at all, says nothing in terms of real world performance.

Unless you create content with Vegas Pro, AfterFX etc like I do, only then will you see the i3 lagging behind, and it's not even by much because I used to own a 6300 & a 3220 after switching to Intel, it's worth it in the long run.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

The guy wants to run everything that AMD does better and you keep yelling to get Intel like he cares. Lmao. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

The guy wants to run everything that AMD does better and you keep yelling to get Intel like he cares. Lmao. 

lol...We know... BUT...

AMD can't do better..... nuff said.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

lol...We know... BUT...

AMD can't do better..... nuff said.

But they do better in multithreaded apps... which is what he's going to use. Like holy fuck I feel sometimes people don't just read they type with 1 hand while they jerk at the thought of ASUS and Intel fusing together. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

I'll think about it.

But they do better in multithreaded apps... which is what he's going to use. Like holy fuck I feel sometimes people don't just read they type with 1 hand while they jerk at the thought of ASUS and Intel fusing together. 

Photoshop isn't massively multithreaded AFAIK. And streaming can be GPU accelerated using Intel's quicksync.

And AMD only do better in multithreaded integer applications.

The better they do, is mitigated easily by how badly they perform elsewhere in everything else non-multithreaded.

You'd want a balanced build after all don't you.? <-- How is this idea in any way NOT the better way to go about things...? Esp when he can use his budget and can get a stronger setup.

Not every single piece of software is equal, in fact you no doubt know this..as we ALL do,.. that software in general performs better with a few strong cores moreso than multiple weaker cores.

/Didn't even mention GPU-assisted programs,... but Its still a no-brainer.

But they do better in multithreaded apps...

That's not universally true. Not all applications that "can use" lots of cores actually prefer them to high IPC architectures. Real-world application benchmarks on the major tech review sites are often all over the place. Streaming, in my experience anyway, doesn't affect framerate (via the CPU) in the slightest. It taxes upload bandwidth more than anything else, and all that affects is the bitrate/resolution/framerate your audience sees.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25

Since we're talking about Photoshop. The fastest i3 in that chart is the previous-gen i3-3220, but it's edging out the FX-6300 slightly. Personally I use Photoshop for hours every day using a dual-core Ivy Bridge mobile CPU at work, and a 5-years-old Core i5-750 at home. Yes, it "scales with lots of cores," but it isn't so hard to run that it justifies such a salty conversation.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/25

Since we're talking about Photoshop. The fastest i3 in that chart is the previous-gen i3-3220, but it's edging out the FX-6300 slightly. Personally I use Photoshop for hours every day using a dual-core Ivy Bridge mobile CPU at work, and a 5-years-old Core i5-750 at home. Yes, it "scales with lots of cores," but it isn't so hard to run that it justifies such a salty conversation.

Photoshop maybe. But as soon as Premiere or After Effects come into play it's over for any low end CPU. My athlon x3 is totally stressed out on even 720p material sometimes. That's why I need an upgrade... also because I wanna emulate some PS2 games. But thats another story.

Photoshop maybe. But as soon as Premiere or After Effects come into play it's over for any low end CPU. My athlon x3 is totally stressed out on even 720p material sometimes. That's why I need an upgrade... also because I wanna emulate some PS2 games. But thats another story.

Your Athlon X3 is struggling because it was already a low-end CPU 5 years ago. It's in a totally different universe from any of the products being considered in this thread, not because of some singular figure like the number of cores. Even in the most extreme cases, the FX-6300 versus an i3 is probably going to be a difference measured in seconds, not even minutes, and either would be a massive improvement over what you have now.

In my defense this is the first time you've mentioned doing any kind of video encoding in this thread. Yes, that's one area (probably the one area) the 6- and 8-core AMD FX products may pull ahead for this price. So it's going to come down to how much of your workload that is. You've been talking about Photoshop and streaming until now, and I'd personally rather have the i3 for that.

No. I want to buy something new. I don't like used things.

Yes and It will beat my price point too -.-

How do you know what I need? If I prefer heavily multitasking then I don't go with a intel dual core which is the max. I can get with my budget. 

Oh jesus I won't overclock. At some point I wanna buy another cooler from scythe but I won't touch the clockspeed.

Proof: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3220-vs-AMD-FX-6300 (Scroll at the benchmarks)
My current PC case has holes, the airflow isn't that great and also it's a mini ATX one and the new motherboard won't fit anyway  :P

1st -> don't use CPUBOSS for benchmarks. They're totally misleading.
2nd -> if everyone is saying i3/5 and you still do not agree why did you ask in the first place?
3th-> if this is in your price range and the mobo will fit in your case why do you keep this going? the i5 will destroy ANY of the above.

Dude an i5 4440 and h81 board cost less than your budget.
I5 4440 : 170$
MSI h81 p33 : 42$
Overall price : 212$
So no it won't beat your price point -.-

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

You guys don't seem to realize that the I5 is still more expensive and the 6300 kicks the I3's ass. 

So if he would be going the ''keeping his case'' route he would probably get a better processor than the 6300 so it's not a very good comparison head to head. At this price range he can get a 8300 and beat it with it's massive overclock potential vs the locked 4440.

So it's I3 vs 6300 and 2 cores are going to rush really hard in those multithreaded apps. 

In Linus' computer buying build guide for 2014 he paired an FX-6300 and a GTX 970. No you won't have bottlenecks if you get an AMD FX but an intel i5 or i7 will definitely be better (for more money of course). For $220 the AMD has a better price to performance. If you've got $220 an FX-6300 will do fine, and you can overclock it to 3.9ghz easily to match the 6350 performance without paying extra for it. Of course if you are not comfortable overclocking you should buy the FX 6350 instead. If you want an upgrade path for the future without buying a new motherboard, you should buy an Intel i3. But you won't have any CPU bottlenecks with an FX-6300 or 6350. The AMD will also outperform the i3 in photoshop and other professional applications

(Time around 4:25)

A 500w power supply should be fine for the FX 6300/6350 and HD 7850 with some breathing room. The FX-6300 is only $90 but you'd need to set the clock speed to 3.9ghz yourself to match the performance of the 6350. Otherwise you're paying $40 for a 400mhz factory overclock by buying the 6350. Twitch streaming on the FX 6350 is great, I say so because I do it all the time on my FX 6300. OBS will use otherwise open threads to stream so no impact on ingame fps :) And gaming works well too. Anything well optimized that you can play on a HD 7850, you can play with a 6350. No worries, you got it right the first time OP :)

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

To everyone saying to just get an i5, at $220 that isn't really possible unless he's getting one hell of a deal. He needs a case too. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cc2qXL and the i5 4440 doesn't "wreck the 6350 in literally everything" http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/364/AMD_FX-Series_FX-6350_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4440.html       It's a little bit better most of the time. The better single core performance may not mean as much to you as to a serious computer user working with professional programs, where the developers actually optimize their programs to fully utilize a CPU...

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

-snip-

My current PC case has holes, the airflow isn't that great and also it's a mini ATX one and the new motherboard won't fit anyway :P

D-Did you just use cpuboss?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.