New CPU!

Hi fellas,

I want to remove my CPU bottleneck. Currently: AMD Athlon x3 - Very old and things like Photoshop are a torture. Also my Mainboard has a 8 GB cap which is not acceptable if I work with any high RAM demanding games or application and the whole PC lags out. Also my case is kinda broken and I need a new one.

So I searched some new components: 

Case: Redmax Super Viper

Graphics Card (XFX HD 7850), RAM 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
This is the stuff I already have. The ram will be upgraded next month or so.

I have no idea about power supplys and if my current one can handle this upgrade. it's a Corsair CX500 and a PSU calculator showed me that I would need on 100% max load 425W. So my 500W psu should be enough I guess?

So my question is: Is this the maximum I can reach for about 220$? (And no I won't go higher than that) or do you have another idea? Also: Is my PSU strong enough for this upgrade?

Thank you :)

Whoops *snip*

If you're changing the motherboard as well, have you thought about going the intel route?

And yes the psu is fine.

If you're changing the motherboard as well, have you thought about going the intel route?

And yes the psu is fine.

If you're going to change platform, get intel.

both of you completely disregarded the $220 budget to which the AMD is much better bang of buck.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

both of you completely disregarded the $220 budget to which the AMD is much better bang of buck.

No, it isn't, not anymore.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Well you can always get an Intel that won't bottleneck for that price and that would be better.

That was my thought too. I was indeed thinking about getting an Intel one. But in this price range there are only dual cores. I can't use multiple Adobe programms simultaneously with 2 cores. Not going to work .

Have you actually assembled any systems on both sides lately to compare? That is long not been the case anymore. Please stop rolling the "AMD has more value" bandwagon, it's not true anymore.

And especially Photoshop is one of those utilities you want an intel

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/5418/12/intel-core-i7-4790k--i5-4690k-devils-canyon-review-haswell-voor-overklokkers!-benchmarks-igpu-adobe-photoshop-cs6

Have you actually assembled any systems on both sides lately to compare? That is long not been the case anymore. Please stop rolling the "AMD has more value" bandwagon, it's not true anymore.

maybe for the higher end but for $220 6 cores i would take over 2 

Try This to stretch your budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $225.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-18 08:21 EDT-0400

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

i changed AM3 to AM3+. them regrets.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Try This to stretch your budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($51.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $225.60

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-18 08:21 EDT-0400

*sigh* I said in the first post that I can't expand my price range and also there is no new case which I DEFINITELY need.

i changed AM3 to AM3+. them regrets.

Why?

And especially Photoshop is one of those utilities you want an intel

http://nl.hardware.i...e-photoshop-cs6

But not a dual core. Definitely not.

Have you not noticed i5's are in that range???

Which ones?

Why?

its better than what I had, don't get me wrong, it was an upgrade. and the fx-6300 OC's very well. but there no point in getting an fx-8300 later down the road, or even the 9xxx series.

I should've pick a z97 LGA 1150 mobo and a Intel G3258, and then upgrade for an i5-4690k.

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

Guys, guys, when he says $220 budget, that's including a case. Realistically, getting an i5 and a mobo for $180 new will be a bit challenging. OP, have you considered going for used? Not sure how Kijiji or Craigslist are in your neck of the woods though. If you can, try to find a used Intel motherboard and cpu. Anything from Sandy Bridge onwards will do fantastic, and even 1st i7s on LGA1366 aren't bad.

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

Locked i5 4440 + h81 mothervoard will beat the fx 6300 in literally everything.

Except he doesn't have that much. Can't get it new for $180.

Btw OP, don't expect to overclock on that AM3+ motherboard should you go for it, the vrms are completely naked on there, and the FX chips love to warm those right up :)

Current build: Konata-ROG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-4790K, 4.4GHz @ 1.2V | Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact | Cooler: H80i GT with 2x Silverstone Air Penetrator 120mm | Case: Cooler Master Elite 130| SSD: AData SP550 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 750GB 2.5; WD Blue SSHD 1TB 2.5; WD Red 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x8GB DDR3-1866 | VGA: Sapphire Dual-X R9 280X | PSU: Silverstone SX600-L

Current build: Konata-HTPC

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-6100 (currently at stock) | Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 | Cooler: Silverstone AR-06 | Case: Silverstone GD10 | SSD: AData SX900 256GB | RAM: ADATA XPG 2X4GB DDR3-1600, Kingston HyperX 2-4GB DDR3-1600 | VGA: MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III | LG Blu-Ray PSU: XFX TS 750W

Really?

Last time I checked, an i3 3220 shits on the 6300 & 6350

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

*sigh* I said in the first post that I can't expand my price range and also there is no new case which I DEFINITELY need.

What's wrong with your current case. The i5 will literally wreck every aspect of the Fx6

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

its better than what I had, don't get me wrong, it was an upgrade. and the fx-6300 OC's very well. but there no point in getting an fx-8300 later down the road, or even the 9xxx series.

I should've pick a z97 LGA 1150 mobo and a Intel G3258, and then upgrade for an i5-4690k.

*sigh* Every board I go to: Buy this for 400$ or buy this for 900$. I said 220$ not more and I don't want a dual core i3 because I don't wanna play games. I want horse power for photoshop and twitch streaming. I can't AFFORD MORE and I certainly won't get a dual core for video editing and so on. LIVE WITH IT!

Guys, guys, when he says $220 budget, that's including a case. Realistically, getting an i5 and a mobo for $180 new will be a bit challenging. OP, have you considered going for used? Not sure how Kijiji or Craigslist are in your neck of the woods though. If you can, try to find a used Intel motherboard and cpu. Anything from Sandy Bridge onwards will do fantastic, and even 1st i7s on LGA1366 aren't bad.

No. I want to buy something new. I don't like used things.

Locked i5 4440 + h81 mothervoard will beat the fx 6300 in literally everything.

Yes and It will beat my price point too -.-

Go intell :P better for what your doing then amd

How do you know what I need? If I prefer heavily multitasking then I don't go with a intel dual core which is the max. I can get with my budget. 

Btw OP, don't expect to overclock on that AM3+ motherboard should you go for it, the vrms are completely naked on there, and the FX chips love to warm those right up :)

Oh jesus I won't overclock. At some point I wanna buy another cooler from scythe but I won't touch the clockspeed.

Really?

In Games yes. In enviroments where you need multicore performance: No.

Proof: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3220-vs-AMD-FX-6300 (Scroll at the benchmarks)

What's wrong with your current case. The i5 will literally wreck every aspect of the Fx6

My current PC case has holes, the airflow isn't that great and also it's a mini ATX one and the new motherboard won't fit anyway :P

Really?

well if you use software that can use more then the 2 cores of the i3 i would say so yeah.

Dude an i5 4440 and h81 board cost less than your budget.

I5 4440 : 170$

MSI h81 p33 : 42$

Overall price : 212$

So no it won't beat your price point -.-

Dude an i5 4440 and h81 board cost less than your budget.

I5 4440 : 170$

MSI h81 p33 : 42$

Overall price : 212$

Yeah. But you forgot to add the new PC case I need. I have a mini ATX one at the moment. The board won't fit and I thought I made that clear enough on the first post!