How would one go about disabling the steam DRM?

Jerakl

Title. 

I'm just curious how one would go about disabling a games steam DRM so they could play it without steam. (Is it even possible?)

Please no "just pirate it" or "don't buy it through steam". This is just curiosity, there is a 70% chance I wouldn't do this.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Why would you need to play it without steam? You'd lose access to their servers and to steam cloud. The DRM only needs you to log in once a month, compared the the xbox one's pre-E3 restriction of once a day...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Why would you need to play it without steam? You'd lose access to their servers and to steam cloud. The DRM only needs you to log in once a month, compared the the xbox one's pre-E3 restriction of once a day...

Thank you for a particularly useless comment that didn't really contribute to the thread in any way.

I have my reasons.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Doesn't work that way, and if you want help you might try explaining why rather than asking a vague question then being hostile when someone doesn't really understand what the heck you're trying to do or why ;)

It's not that I want help doing it, but more wondering if it could be done, and how.

I got rekt by Linus. Ouch.

You would have to modify the steam_API.dll to report that steam is running when it isn't

For example Terraria has:

Steam.Init();    if (Steam.SteamInit)    {        main.Run();    }    else    {        MessageBox.Show("Please launch the game from your Steam client.", "Error");}

You would have to modify the steam_API.dll to report that steam is running when it isn't

Steam.Init();    if (Steam.SteamInit)    {        main.Run();    }    else    {        MessageBox.Show("Please launch the game from your Steam client.", "Error");}

Mmmk. Would it be the same for every game? I assume so. I have no idea how to modify a .dll. Based google might teach me. Although I have. Feeling this could potentially get you in trouble with valve.

Hmmm, if I knew how to do this, all of my games would be ported to steam without use of the steam client through WINE.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't Terraria offer a DRM-free client? I remember reading about it when it launched. Is it possible that some games can choose to let people bypass it?

I don't think big studios and publishers would like people playing their game without DRM, which is part of the reason their games are released on steam.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Some games on steam do not use the steam DRM. So those can be launched independently, I guess it's a choice the devs make. I have even launched CS:GO outside of steam. But in general I just use offline mode if needed. Never tried to actively disable steam...

Why not just play in offline mode?????  I used to do this with a few friends for single player games.  They wanted to play, couldn't afford, so I would just log into my account on their computer, download whatever games they wanted, set steam to offline, and boom, as many people as want can play offline games.

For online games it requires all kinds of hacks and such, but you are on your own there.

Pretty sure this guy is trying to share his games to someone else he knows without logging into his account, that's the only reason I'm taking from this.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Pretty sure this guy is trying to share his games to someone else he knows without logging into his account, that's the only reason I'm taking from this.

You could at least use my name.

And no, I was actually just thinking about it and became curious.

I don't have any friends who are big PC gamers.

If you have discs, you can use a sid file extractor and it will extract the game into what looks like a game install, you would then need to use a crack.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

You could get a cracked .exe which you'd have to source yourself, but other then that you could just play offline.

how bout buy it on steam, get updates and just override the API/DLL/exe files from gamecopyworld

gcw is been around almost like forever to fight drm method since ... forever?!

how bout buy it on steam, get updates and just override the API/DLL/exe files from gamecopyworld

gcw is been around almost like forever to fight drm method since ... forever?!

@Jerakl

If you do this, I'd suggest running virus and malware scans on the files first-you can get some nasty surprises.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL