Microsoft is killing off the Internet Explorer brand

iHammmy

HALLELUJAH!

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

is this new?

but its just a new name, that wont really help.

The new name will go along with their new browser released with Win 10, code named Project Spartan.

Yeah because changing the name will certainly instantly improve the code behind it

They're still killing off Internet Explorer as a brand name

It seems impossible until it's done.

The new name will go along with their new browser released with Win 10, code named Project Spartan.

but thats not news, is it? we know about spartan for quite some time now and that it would ship with win10, well that was kind of to be expected.

Why is it good to kill a brandname everyone knows? IE is pretty good now, and the next version should support extensions. What is MS doing? Only ignorant nerds still makes fun of IE. Ordinary people don't care.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

is this new?

but its just a new name, that wont really help.

marketing research say otherwise, the name change alone already has a perception that people may be more inclined to use it

chromedata.0.jpg

and that is without having a proper name, just having the word microsoft behind it

Why is it good to kill a brandname everyone knows? IE is pretty good now, and the next version should support extensions. What is MS doing? Only ignorant nerds still makes fun of IE. Ordinary people don't care.

see above

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

marketing research say otherwise, the name change alone already has a perception that people may be more inclined to use it

chromedata.0.jpg

and that is without having a proper name, just having the word microsoft behind it

see above

Code names are always more exciting. So are new things for the sole reason of being new. Master Chief or whatever MS calls the new browser Spartan obviously sounds cooler than Internet Explorer, but will be cheeesy for everyone not a 14 year old gamer.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

IE is still not "good". It has gone from being "absolutely horrible and nobody should use it" to being "it doesn't suck as much as a collapsed star but the competitors are still much better".

But I guess I am just, in your words, an "ignorant nerd" since I don't like IE, right? Has nothing to do with IE being much worse in terms of supporting web standards, lacking decent addons, being closed source, having a terrible GUI that is only really suitable for having 2-3 tabs open, bad image down scaling and nonexisting customization options...

RIP IN BITS YOU SLOW BASTERD :D . im going to watch my teacher cry when he finds out . and when he does , know that ill be having my popcorn and watching him 3:D

(⌐■_■) 

I literally pissed my self laughing.

No wonder you have a shit post-to-count rating :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

IE is still not "good". It has gone from being "absolutely horrible and nobody should use it" to being "it doesn't suck as much as a collapsed star but the competitors are still much better".

But I guess I am just, in your words, an "ignorant nerd" since I don't like IE, right? Has nothing to do with IE being much worse in terms of supporting web standards, lacking decent addons, being closed source, having a terrible GUI that is only really suitable for having 2-3 tabs open, bad image down scaling and nonexisting customization options...

Interesting that you mention the GUI, because that is the primary reason why I use IE. The GUI is so clean, minimalistic and efficient compared to the other browsers. Especially when it comes to the favorites links. Both Chrome and Firefox sucks in that catgory.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/the-best-browser-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari/

It's all down to use cases now. All browsers are best in a certain situation or use case. EI is no worse than the others in general.

I literally pissed my self laughing.

No wonder you have a shit post-to-count rating :)

Ah so being right is all about having as many people agreeing with you as possible? Well a lot of people agreed the earth was flat. Your rating would fit in that time a lot better. I don't post to get a lot of likes. If I wanted that, I could just write what everyone wanted to hear.

So go ahead and laugh. I find you funny too, but in a more sad kinda way.

Interesting that you mention the GUI, because that is the primary reason why I use IE. The GUI is so clean, minimalistic and efficient compared to the other browsers. Especially when it comes to the favorites links. Both Chrome and Firefox sucks in that catgory.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/the-best-browser-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari/

It's all down to use cases now. All browsers are best in a certain situation or use case. EI is no worse than the others in general.

Wow... I am amazed someone actually likes the GUI. There is next to no space for tabs and they are not placed at the top (making them much harder to click, see Fittts' law).

You can't customize it at all. I can make my Firefox look like IE, but not vice versa.

Not sure how IE handles favorites any differently from other browsers. Can you elaborate?

I don't really care about your link. I can form my own opinion on these things. I think it's pretty funny that your link came to the conclusion that Chrome is the best browser though.

I would like to know the best scenario for IE. Oh and I think the flaws I pointed out earlier in the from are very legitimate reasons to consider IE worse than Firefox (and maybe Chrome as well) in general.

Wow... I am amazed someone actually likes the GUI. There is next to no space for tabs and they are not placed at the top (making them much harder to click, see Fittts' law).

You can't customize it at all. I can make my Firefox look like IE, but not vice versa.

Not sure how IE handles favorites any differently from other browsers. Can you elaborate?

I don't really care about your link. I can form my own opinion on these things. I think it's pretty funny that your link came to the conclusion that Chrome is the best browser though.

I would like to know the best scenario for IE. Oh and I think the flaws I pointed out earlier in the from are very legitimate reasons to consider IE worse than Firefox (and maybe Chrome as well) in general.

Fcuking hell. Wrote a long post, then I could not post it because the thread was moved. Much derp forum.

Short again. You can set the width of the adress bar and you can move the tabs to it's own row if you need to. I use the very top (which should never be occupied in software) by a minimized winamp. Having tabs up there is unacceptable for my use case.

As for favorites, on IE, there is a msall star next to the tabs. The menu pop up has 2 lines, one for adding to favorites, and the next for tabs to choose favorites, feeds or history. The rest are the ACTUAL favorites. On chrome and FF, the first 6-8 lines or so in the menu popup is filled with all sorts or crap, and clutters up the entire favorties part. Chrome is even shittier here, as that popup menu is a submenu of another popup menu. All very impractical.

As for my link, the reason chrom won is due to HTML5 and extensions. I don't really use extensions (although I look forward to spartan having it). HTML5 is not really used yet and IE will be updated before the need is there anyways. Like I said, it all depends on your use case.

I hope they will but their Expression Studio rendering engine in their "new" browser.

Btw, I laugh so hard when Chrome users are complaining about closed-source software. :D

For most of the time I am still an Opera 12.17 user, and cheering for Vivaldi.

Short again. You can set the width of the adress bar and you can move the tabs to it's own row if you need to. I use the very top (which should never be occupied in software) by a minimized winamp. Having tabs up there is unacceptable for my use case.

Well you got me there. Didn't know you could separate the address. That makes the GUI a little bit more tolerable. I just got 1 question though... Why shouldn't the top ever be occupied by software? It is mathematically provable that it is better in terms of usability. It is quite literally infinitely easier to click than tabs somewhere other than the side or corners.

Why the hell do you even have winamp at the top? Sounds like one of the worst places to have it.

As for favorites, on IE, there is a small star next to the tabs. The menu pop up has 2 lines, one for adding to favorites, and the next for tabs to choose favorites, feeds or history. The rest are the ACTUAL favorites. On chrome and FF, the first 6-8 lines or so in the menu popup is filled with all sorts or crap, and clutters up the entire favorties part. Chrome is even shittier here, as that popup menu is a submenu of another popup menu. All very impractical.

You mean kind of like this?

post-216-0-11378200-1426618770_thumb.png

Personally I prefer to have the bookmarks toolbar out at all times, with my most visited websites, and then I have folders in it where I put different stuff that's less frequently viewed.

As for my link, the reason chrom won is due to HTML5 and extensions. I don't really use extensions (although I look forward to spartan having it). HTML5 is not really used yet and IE will be updated before the need is there anyways. Like I said, it all depends on your use case.

Well of course you don't use extensions, you're an Internet Explorer user.

You still haven't really given me an example of this "use case" where IE is better than the rest but I have given you plenty of reasons why it isn't.

Btw, I laugh so hard when Chrome users are complaining about closed-source software. :D

With the exceptions of a few minor things, Chrome is open source. If you want full open source then you can get Chromium.

Well you got me there. Didn't know you could separate the address. That makes the GUI a little bit more tolerable. I just got 1 question though... Why shouldn't the top ever be occupied by software? It is mathematically provable that it is better in terms of usability. It is quite literally infinitely easier to click than tabs somewhere other than the side or corners.

Why the hell do you even have winamp at the top? Sounds like one of the worst places to have it.

You mean kind of like this?

attachicon.gifBookmarks.png

Personally I prefer to have the bookmarks toolbar out at all times, with my most visited websites, and then I have folders in it where I put different stuff that's less frequently viewed.

Well of course you don't use extensions, you're an Internet Explorer user.

You still haven't really given me an example of this "use case" where IE is better than the rest but I have given you plenty of reasons why it isn't.

Generally puttin things in the top bar of the window is a violation of the look-and-feel of windows' borders and general windows look and function. You can do it surely, but then you have a proprietary window look, that is not like windows own look.

For me it's the perfect place for winamp. It's always on top, so I can always see what's playing, easily go to a certain place in the song, and is one click away from getting the full playlist (and everything else) at my disposal. Furthermore, it's never in the way up there, unless Chrome/FF, that chooses to break windows look-and-feel.

Yeah I mean like that. On IE that is just one click away from the star icon on the right. Non nonsense, no toolbars either.

Indeed, but I have had both Chrome and FF, and never used it there either. But like I said, I do welcome the functionality in spartan. No reason NOT to have certain functionality.

To me, having the top windows bar occupied, is unacceptable because of my winamp use. The GUI is generally messy and IE is faster at startup than any of the other browsers. The GUI is generally cleaner, nicer looking and more minimalistic, which pleases my scandinavian taste ;)

I have no problem with people using Chrome or FF, and I don't try to convince anyone to switch. All I'm saying is that "IE is the worst thing ever" was true in IE 6 and the XP days. People need to stop living in 2002 and judge IE 11 on its own merits, because you haven't given me any reason why Chrome is better for me to use either. Like I said, the GUI alone disqualify it for me.

fucking roasted

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Generally puttin things in the top bar of the window is a violation of the look-and-feel of windows' borders and general windows look and function. You can do it surely, but then you have a proprietary window look, that is not like windows own look.

To me, having the top windows bar occupied, is unacceptable because of my winamp use. The GUI is generally messy and IE is faster at startup than any of the other browsers. The GUI is generally cleaner, nicer looking and more minimalistic, which pleases my scandinavian taste ;)

So you are saying you put form over function? I think both Mozilla and Google have managed to make the top bar look and feel like regular Windows while offering better (again, it's non-debatable since Fitts' law is based on maths) usability.

But let's say you for some reason don't want it up there, like if you have Winamp there. In Firefox you can move the tabs if you don't want them at the top. You can change it to look however you want it to. Do you want it to be "clean and minimalistic"? Then you can make it like that if you want.

I have no problem with people using Chrome or FF, and I don't try to convince anyone to switch. All I'm saying is that "IE is the worst thing ever" was true in IE 6 and the XP days. People need to stop living in 2002 and judge IE 11 on its own merits, because you haven't given me any reason why Chrome is better for me to use either. Like I said, the GUI alone disqualify it for me.

You said that anyone who makes fun of IE is an ignorant nerd.

As a response I gave you 6 reasons (1 turned out to be false, sorry for that) why it is inferior. If you want to rationalize why those things don't matter for you personally then fine, but that's like saying "I prefer 30 FPS so your graphics card that can push 60 FPS isn't better for me!". IE is still far behind the competitors in a lot of areas. You can talk about how those areas don't matter to you, but that won't change the fact that they are still far behind, and that a lot of those areas matters A LOT for other people.

I don't think you should call people complaining "ignorant nerds" until IE is actually on par with the rest. Doing so only makes you look like a fanboy trying to defend a clearly inferior product.

You still haven't given me a single use case where IE is better.