GTX 970 Owners Club

Running a 970 @1567/3557MHz, a 3770k @4.8FHz and 16GB ram @1886MHz on ultra 1080p (all maxed but no frame scaling) I get ~48 fps but quickly go over the 3.5gb and my fps drops below 30, with slight tweaking I get almost maxed settings and 60fps average with the 3.5gb never filling up.

Thanks for the info the other day... think I'm going to go with this build

Skylake original build

Latest Skylake build

Let me know what you think....

Thanks for the info the other day... think I'm going to go with this build

Skylake original build

Latest Skylake build

Let me know what you think....

I'd change put the psu for one in tier 1 or 2 on this list http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/

Personally I advise a corsair RM750i or an EVGA 750 G2 but for the rest it seems like a solid machine (yes, 750w will be fine even if you decide to overclock and go crossfire).

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

When overclocking ram, you want to relax the timings CAS ratings (increase them) then increase the ram speed, once you're at a point you like, 1866 is good, then start reducing the latency in single increments.

Tried it, gave up, somehow my motherboard doesn't apply certain settings, I should reset cmos but I don't feel like going through all the settings again, it's stuck at 1866MHz now and it's working (Idk?) but anything different and it just won't apply it.

Pushed my CPU to 5.0GHz, my GPU to 1567/3945 and disabled every backgroung programm including windows aero, went for a benchmark run and got 11179 on firestrike, 200+ above my top score yesterday. Done with extreme overclocking for the upcoming week.

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

I'd change put the psu for one in tier 1 or 2 on this list http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/

Personally I advise a corsair RM750i or an EVGA 750 G2 but for the rest it seems like a solid machine (yes, 750w will be fine even if you decide to overclock and go crossfire).

If I changed it from the EVGA on my list to one of the ones from the link you sent me it probably be this one. (Newegg)

If I changed it from the EVGA on my list to one of the ones from the link you sent me it probably be this one. (Newegg)

Seems like a good one I guess but I still advise the RMi's or G2's over it because of the semi-passive mode (partial silence freak here).

Seems like a good one I guess but I still advise the RMi's or G2's over it because of the semi-passive mode (partial silence freak here).

I have 2x G2's under my desk... Keep forgetting to fit the damn thing in my AMD rig, the other one is for my gf's skylake build lol. I keep pissing her off because I bought mine on black friday for £65 she paid £90+  :ph34r:

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I have 2x G2's under my desk... Keep forgetting to fit the damn thing in my AMD rig, the other one is for my gf's skylake build lol. I keep pissing her off because I bought mine on black friday for £65 she paid £90+ :ph34r:

And here in the Netherlands they cost €135 on cheapest and even on the most extreme exchange rate that's still £100 at least and I've yet to see any sale here. Also prizes are constantly getting worse and worse. Everything keeps getting cheaper in 'murica for example but here prizes keep shooting up, a 970 with some 'decent' cooler easilly costs €370.

And here in the Netherlands they cost €135 on cheapest and even on the most extreme exchange rate that's still £100 at least and I've yet to see any sale here. Also prizes are constantly getting worse and worse. Everything keeps getting cheaper in 'murica for example but here prizes keep shooting up, a 970 with some 'decent' cooler easilly costs €370.

Import and taxes suck for everyone, merica has it mega easy for consuming goods, shame the rest of their country is fucked.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Yea if I go with the Corsair PSU it has to be the AX series, pretty sure that the AX and HX are the only ones that do SLI/X-fire. I do like the fan off until a certain amount of power is used, but I've read a lot of reviews saying that the AX860i is more expensive just because of Corsair's power monitoring software which a lot of people think is shit anyways, and then I guess they say the regular AX860 is just a Seasonic that's been re-labeled and that both editions have coil whine. Plus most people that have looked over this build seem to think EVGA is the better way to go....sooo fuck if i know which one to choose at this point. I honestly think that the EVGA 860 will do just fine.

Okay so starting another side topic here. One of my co-workers almost has to argue with every decision i make on what to pick in this build. It's starting to drive me fucking crazy. I told him that I was now thinking of dropping in the MSI R9 390 into my build and he starts shaking his head and rolling his eye's at me like ive just made the world's biggest mistake, and with the tone of "I fucking know everything" tells me that MSI products will not work with MSI products.( Example: Like if i have an MSI GPU and MSI MoBo...won't work. Or MSI GPU and MSI anything else they make that could go into this build...wont work.)

Have you ever heard of this?

Explained that i dont have anything else MSI in this build so I'm not too worried, plus in my head i was thinking that if this were true that this would be the worlds biggest fuck up on MSI's part, and that if that were the case that they would of fixed it as fast as possible.

Second was he started questioning if the i7 i'm thinking of running is the best choice because AMD is designed to run better with the AMD GPU's.

Do you have any knowledge of this?

Sounds like a slight possibility but if that were true then why would any Intel PC owner ever run and AMD series GPU, plus it seems like that would be just plain bad business for AMD.

I know this is a GTX970 owners club area, but just looking for some general help with some things.

Okay so starting another side topic here. One of my co-workers almost has to argue with every decision i make on what to pick in this build. It's starting to drive me fucking crazy. I told him that I was now thinking of dropping in the MSI R9 390 into my build and he starts shaking his head and rolling his eye's at me like ive just made the world's biggest mistake, and with the tone of "I fucking know everything" tells me that MSI products will not work with MSI products.( Example: Like if i have an MSI GPU and MSI MoBo...won't work. Or MSI GPU and MSI anything else they make that could go into this build...wont work.)

Have you ever heard of this?

Explained that i dont have anything else MSI in this build so I'm not too worried, plus in my head i was thinking that if this were true that this would be the worlds biggest fuck up on MSI's part, and that if that were the case that they would of fixed it as fast as possible.

Second was he started questioning if the i7 i'm thinking of running is the best choice because AMD is designed to run better with the AMD GPU's.

Do you have any knowledge of this?

Sounds like a slight possibility but if that were true then why would any Intel PC owner ever run and AMD series GPU, plus it seems like that would be just plain bad business for AMD.

I know this is a GTX970 owners club area, but just looking for some general help with some things.

Bullshit, ignore him.

Bullshit, ignore him.

LMAO.... yea was just looking it up and pretty much everything so far is saying he is wrong. I forgot to mention that he said it "Know Fact, that AMD CPU's run faster and better with AMD GPU's"

I wasn't joking about the "I Know Everything" part about this dude... Honestly that's why i joined this forum, to sift through the bullshit and find out what is actual fact

LMAO.... yea was just looking it up and pretty much everything so far is saying he is wrong. I forgot to mention that he said it "Know Fact, that AMD CPU's run faster and better with AMD GPU's"

I wasn't joking about the "I Know Everything" part about this dude... Honestly that's why i joined this forum, to sift through the bullshit and find out what is actual fact

I know more people like that too sadly.

For example one of my friend claims that AMD is superior in everything and that thr CPU's are way better than intel's. He only buys used old, crappy AMD stuff and never had intel or nvidia for example and when you show numbers he'll say: but AMD is better.

Also I have a friend that claim that having a more expencive case with no case fans installed gives you better temps than an open air setup because "it'll channel the airflow of the heatsinks better making it more efficient."

AMD's CPU's run better with Nvidia GPU's, because their drivers have less overhead.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Anyone can tell me how much a used Gtx 970 reference card would be worth? (the one with a green led gtx logo on it).

One with warranty & box & accessories in mint condition. 

Approx would be great.

I live in Canada. 

AMD's CPU's run better with Nvidia GPU's, because their drivers have less overhead.

You remember that time ten years ago, when everybody swore by that combo? Today I feel like a dinosaur for having an AMD-Nvidia system, with everybody and their dog seemingly having either AMD-ATi or Intel-Nvidia.

Yea if I go with the Corsair PSU it has to be the AX series, pretty sure that the AX and HX are the only ones that do SLI/X-fire. I do like the fan off until a certain amount of power is used, but I've read a lot of reviews saying that the AX860i is more expensive just because of Corsair's power monitoring software which a lot of people think is shit anyways, and then I guess they say the regular AX860 is just a Seasonic that's been re-labeled and that both editions have coil whine. Plus most people that have looked over this build seem to think EVGA is the better way to go....sooo fuck if i know which one to choose at this point. I honestly think that the EVGA 860 will do just fine.

SLI certification doesn't even matter when it comes to power supplies, does it? For motherboards it actually makes a difference, because Nvidia can hardlock it out if a manufacturer didn't pay the licence cost, but for power supplies it really doesn't matter. So long as enough power can be supplied on the 12V rail, it's fine, and let's face it, every modern quality PSU has 100% of its power on a single 12V rail. My RM750x would do SLI fine as well, provided you don't try to run overvolted Titan Xs off it.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

You remember that time ten years ago, when everybody swore by that combo? Today I feel like a dinosaur for having an AMD-Nvidia system, with everybody and their dog seemingly having either AMD-ATi or Intel-Nvidia.

SLI certification doesn't even matter when it comes to power supplies, does it? For motherboards it actually makes a difference, because Nvidia can hardlock it out if a manufacturer didn't pay the licence cost, but for power supplies it really doesn't matter. So long as enough power can be supplied on the 12V rail, it's fine, and let's face it, every modern quality PSU has 100% of its power on a single 12V rail. My RM750x would do SLI fine as well, provided you don't try to run overvolted Titan Xs off it.

Yea i see what your saying... i might just stick to what i got so far. Figuring that if i end up X-firing two OC-ed gpu's and oc-ing the cpu that i might be kinda pushing a 750w psu. I could be completely wrong, but id rather have a bit too much power than not enough. Plus is i were to use the PSU again in another build with say.. the new pascal or what the fuck ever comes after that.. and they end up using a little more power then it might be to my benefit. Ahh fuck who knows though, by then they might be using even less power and getting 4x the performance out of gpu's by then. Honestly don't give a fuck, i just want to make sure that i have a decent build that lasts 2-3, maybe even 4-5 years if im lucky with the way tech advances these days.

I know more people like that too sadly.

For example one of my friend claims that AMD is superior in everything and that thr CPU's are way better than intel's. He only buys used old, crappy AMD stuff and never had intel or nvidia for example and when you show numbers he'll say: but AMD is better.

Also I have a friend that claim that having a more expencive case with no case fans installed gives you better temps than an open air setup because "it'll channel the airflow of the heatsinks better making it more efficient."

It's nice to hear that i'm not the only one who has to deal with fanboy / dumb-fuckism (yea just made that shit up). Thanks for all the help so far, when this shit gets built ill make sure i post some good picks. I may not make it into the Nvidia owners club but at least ill be part of the higher tiers of the PC master race.

@tomaatvk or anybody else too..... What about the aforementioned Multi MSI products being together issue, have you ever heard of anything like that at any point in time?

@tomaatvk or anybody else too..... What about the aforementioned Multi MSI products being together issue, have you ever heard of anything like that at any point in time?

Complete bullshit. I would stop listening to this guy if I were you.

Yea i see what your saying... i might just stick to what i got so far. Figuring that if i end up X-firing two OC-ed gpu's and oc-ing the cpu that i might be kinda pushing a 750w psu. I could be completely wrong, but id rather have a bit too much power than not enough. Plus is i were to use the PSU again in another build with say.. the new pascal or what the fuck ever comes after that.. and they end up using a little more power then it might be to my benefit. Ahh fuck who knows though, by then they might be using even less power and getting 4x the performance out of gpu's by then. Honestly don't give a fuck, i just want to make sure that i have a decent build that lasts 2-3, maybe even 4-5 years if im lucky with the way tech advances these days.

Oh, if you want to go with a two-way SLI or Crossfire setup, I would also go with more than 750W, but I wouldn't waste money on an AX series PSU when there are also 850W and even 1000W power supplies in the RMi and RMx series. 

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Thats a complete bullshit. If both products are compatible slot/connection wise, then they are gonna work.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

what fps are you guys getting on 1440p

Usually ranging from 40 to 60 in The Witcher 3 with settings at high/ultra, hairworks off, which is perfect with G-Sync enabled. Some areas will give me slightly above 60 fps. Overclocked EVGA GTX 970 SC, boosting up to around 1450mhz on the core.

20c idle..  :ph34r:

post-122562-0-20606200-1451005673.png

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

I wondering if the 8gb of vram will really make a difference cause i believe the all the clock speeds on the 390 are lower than the 970......fuck why couldnt they just of made a 970 with 8gb of vram :angry:

wait for pascal, i expect the 1070 with 8gb pf gddr5x or 6gb hbm.