GTX 970 Owners Club

Anyone else tired running triple monitor surround on a single 970, or is it just me?

I used to, now I have 2 monitors

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Hey all, i'm using 1.3 bios with this oc settings, is this fine or not really  ? 

wKdxIAP.png

Hey all, i'm using 1.3 bios with this oc settings, is this fine or not really  ? 

wKdxIAP.png

looks good, does gpu-z say 1.275v?

Well this is surprising. My G1 Gaming has an additional stock offset of +50Mhz, which explains why setting the core clock in Afterburner above +100Mhz results in instabilities:

post-155575-0-47145900-1431833993_thumb.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Anyone else tired running triple monitor surround on a single 970, or is it just me?

i currently am, I already knew what to expect actually and the performance isnt great. i disabled nvidia surround actually and just use the other two for emails and such

i currently am, I already knew what to expect actually and the performance isnt great. i disabled nvidia surround actually and just use the other two for emails and such

Once you go SLI and under water you'll destroy any resolution.

Once you go SLI and under water you'll destroy any resolution.

yeah thats the idea, at that point im buying an rog swift though ;)

I'll check it out tomorrow, almost 6am here in Portugal xD Anyway I tried it on GTA V and the game when he starts and loads up the game crashes. Reverted too stock BIOS all fine.

I was using a BIOS from another user with 2000 on memory and 1600 on boost with default GPU clock and I was having some blue stuff appearing while I was playing GTA.

i seem to have a problem somewhere. I have a gigabyte g1 gaming, and even with the 1.275 bios, i cant seem to get stable at +200 (1529boost) core and +450 on the memory (1978Mhz). i have my power limit cranked to 133% and as i said the 1.275v bios.

Any suggestions?

(could it be my psu? i have an aerocool x strike 1100w gold standard, dont know if thats good or bad in terms of ripple)

"Screw YOU guys, I'm going hoeeme" 

I hope to one day join the elite group of the 3.5 gb users!

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I'll check it out tomorrow, almost 6am here in Portugal xD Anyway I tried it on GTA V and the game when he starts and loads up the game crashes. Reverted too stock BIOS all fine.

I was using a BIOS from another user with 2000 on memory and 1600 on boost with default GPU clock and I was having some blue stuff appearing while I was playing GTA.

those are artifacts, meaning the OC is not stable. they can be blue, or green or red usually, or come in the form of screen flickers.

either you have reached the chip's OC limit, or you need to increase voltage or power limit. check your temperatures as well, those can be a dangerous limiting factor.

oops double post

i seem to have a problem somewhere. I have a gigabyte g1 gaming, and even with the 1.275 bios, i cant seem to get stable at +200 (1529boost) core and +450 on the memory (1978Mhz). i have my power limit cranked to 133% and as i said the 1.275v bios.

Any suggestions?

(could it be my psu? i have an aerocool x strike 1100w gold standard, dont know if thats good or bad in terms of ripple)

never heard of that PSU, seems like you lost the silicon lottery. get the most you possibly can with 1.3v.

thank you for the quick reply Gofspar.

theres something weird though... if i use say the 1.275 bios, and leave the clock offsets at 0 (stock clocks), just maxing out power limit to 133% and obviously the voltage fixed at 1.275, i get a way higher score than stock clocks and stock bios. 

however, with a stock bios i can actually OC the card's clocks to the same score i get with stock clocks on the 1.275 bios.

(stock clocks and stock bios=6200pts, stock clocks + 1.275vbios=8400pts, OC clocks + stock bios=8400pts) 

then however, if i use a custom bios, whether its 1.275v or 1.3v, as soon as i overclock by ANY amount, it shows artifacts in benchmarks.

Have i done something wrong?

Or is the higher voltage causing too much ripple to OC properly, hence the culprit being a low quality/high ripple PSU?

Im' confused, I'm not an OC expert but I'm not new to the game either, and something seems off.

PS: it seems weird that i would hit the chip's OC wall so early, since the g1 gamings' chips should be cherry picked on purpose for good OCs, which is why I'm leaning more to putting the blame on the PSU, which I've looked up and has contrasting reviews, some say good ripple levels, some say it crap.

EDIT: ive tried running the custom bios with stock voltage, and same situation. If i leave it at stock clocks, i still get a higher performance/pts than with stock bios, about 8400 points (2200 more than stock bios), but as soon as i oc, i get artifacts.
then again, if i keep the complete stock bios, i can OC to about +165MHz core and + 350MHz on the mem to achieve similar performance (about 8400).
It almost looks as thoug using the custom bios gets the card to OC itself somehow, but then artifacts as soon as i add to it. things get weirder and weirder. Again, I'm thinking ive got to an OC limit due to excessive ripple from the PSU, so i get similar max performace on OC stock bios as with custom bios no OC, b/c the "ripple limit" is the same, rather than being the chip's limitation. What i don't get though is why i get such high performance with the custom bios without touching anything, and why the custom bios gives so many artifacts as soon as i touch clocks instead

Well, even with the 1.262v /w (stock voltage) bios and 1556mhz core and 2035mhz, my drivers crash, says that they stopped working...

Any solution ?

then you have hit your gpus limit.

So, my gpu sucks ?  :D

I've already turned down the clocks alot and it keeps crashing...

I'll let an image so maybe you can help me. 

Do I need too up the power limit ? And is it normal that the GPU clock goes up when I up the memory clock ?

TOiFkLw.png

max out the power limit and show me what the vddc says in GPU-Z.

thank you for the quick reply Gofspar.

theres something weird though... if i use say the 1.275 bios, and leave the clock offsets at 0 (stock clocks), just maxing out power limit to 133% and obviously the voltage fixed at 1.275, i get a way higher score than stock clocks and stock bios.

however, with a stock bios i can actually OC the card's clocks to the same score i get with stock clocks on the 1.275 bios.

(stock clocks and stock bios=6200pts, stock clocks + 1.275vbios=8400pts, OC clocks + stock bios=8400pts)

then however, if i use a custom bios, whether its 1.275v or 1.3v, as soon as i overclock by ANY amount, it shows artifacts in benchmarks.

Have i done something wrong?

Or is the higher voltage causing too much ripple to OC properly, hence the culprit being a low quality/high ripple PSU?

Im' confused, I'm not an OC expert but I'm not new to the game either, and something seems off.

PS: it seems weird that i would hit the chip's OC wall so early, since the g1 gamings' chips should be cherry picked on purpose for good OCs, which is why I'm leaning more to putting the blame on the PSU, which I've looked up and has contrasting reviews, some say good ripple levels, some say it crap.

EDIT: ive tried running the custom bios with stock voltage, and same situation. If i leave it at stock clocks, i still get a higher performance/pts than with stock bios, about 8400 points (2200 more than stock bios), but as soon as i oc, i get artifacts.

then again, if i keep the complete stock bios, i can OC to about +165MHz core and + 350MHz on the mem to achieve similar performance (about 8400).

It almost looks as thoug using the custom bios gets the card to OC itself somehow, but then artifacts as soon as i add to it. things get weirder and weirder. Again, I'm thinking ive got to an OC limit due to excessive ripple from the PSU, so i get similar max performace on OC stock bios as with custom bios no OC, b/c the "ripple limit" is the same, rather than being the chip's limitation. What i don't get though is why i get such high performance with the custom bios without touching anything, and why the custom bios gives so many artifacts as soon as i touch clocks instead

Check boost clock set in bios. My first edited bios boosted itself to 1700Mhz :D.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

post-228440-0-15369000-1431945991_thumb.

this is using the modded bios with stock voltages, no clock offsets

despite GPU-Z saying the boost clock is at 1329MHz, it bumps up 1404MHz during testing, I've checked on the sensors and with PrecisionX OSD.

WoW, thank you very much Gofspar. I dont know exactly how you have done this my MBT wont accept this voltage numbers and i dont know the reason. ;) So i have 1 question left, it doesnt matter if my card has hynix ram when i want to use this am i right?

yes on max settings without doing anything on my card im getting 200-250fps, but as i read there is a natural fps limiter to 250fps which can be set off. by typing fps_max 0 in your console.

300fps*

I'm about to join the Owners Club, as I'll be purchasing a 970 in two-odd months from now (provided finances go as expected). I was looking to buy the ASUS STRIX, but since MSI, Gigabyte and EVGA all also offer 970s within a very small margin over the price of a STRIX, I thought I might as well ask you guys which one you'd advice me to buy. I like the 0dB feature on the STRIX, and I've had good experiences with ASUS cards in the past, but looking through this thread, the thing doesn't seem to be universally favoured. I'm not the kind of person to be instantly worried by a few negative reviews, but I do wonder whether any of the other brands' cards might not offer an altogether better experience...

*EDIT: More specifically, these are the cards that are, at my prefered online retailer, roughly equally priced, and up for consideration:

- ASUS STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5 (€381.90)

- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G (€378.90)

- GigaByte GV-N970 G1 Gaming-4GD (€389.90)

- EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 (€389.90)

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

2015-05-18 12_42_20-.jpg

this is using the modded bios with stock voltages, no clock offsets

despite GPU-Z saying the boost clock is at 1329MHz, it bumps up 1404MHz during testing, I've checked on the sensors and with PrecisionX OSD.

GPU isn't boosting in picture.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

PSHHH, 980, im guessing i'm allowed in the 3.5/4 club too in addition to the 4/4 club.

GPU isn't boosting in picture.

sorry about that, it's b/c i dont have anything running, but if i look up max clock value after a benchmark its at 1404MHz (confirmed by precision X osd as well), even though gpuz's main page says boost clock is at 1329MHz.

The picture was just to provide more info to anyone looking in