The Ultimate conclusion: 4k vs IPS. vs High end TN

Yair Yehezkel

Hi everyone again after alot of looking and thinking I've come to a decision (well almost) and would like your thoughts about it:
I am going to use it mainly for gaming games ( MMO, FPS, and lol :P). Not into high competitive games BUT I do belive I would notice a change in diffrence of HZ.
Anyway my setup is 1 screen, i sit stright forward, and I don't have an overwhelming light coming into my room. now screen size doesnt really isn't the biggest factor, but i do sit around the 90cm  to 1 meter away from the screen.

Door number #1: The "gamer screen"

BenQ LED XL2430 (or Z edition)- a 'normal' 1920*1080, TN modal with really good low Inpute lag high HZ.

or

The Asus LED VG248QE Same Idea, better price.

Door number  #2: The Right IPS choise- (To be honest I havn't found good monitors so if you choose this choise help me find a modal )

Such as the Asus IPS LED VX279H- a good lookin' 27 inch Screen.

even though i'm afraid running 27 inch with that 'low' ress. (so smaller is better in this case)

Door number #3: The Ultimate choise-

I have the hardware to use it, The Samsung LED 4k U28D590D. A really good 4k monitor but still a TN and 'only' 60Hz.

Now price ranges in my area are roughly the same the maximum diffrence is between the asus VG and the 4k display... I went for a 4k screen because it is cheaper then a 1440p screen (waaa? )

Whats your build? 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I personally own the Samsung U28D590D and how I love it! I honestly couldn't recommend it anymore, it's simply a dream to use. One draw back is that sometimes it doesn't wake, but that only happens occasionally (99% sure this was an early adopter problem, pretty sure they fixed it)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

4k is amazing, so of course I'm going to recommend it if you have the hardware for it :)

RIP in pepperonis m8s

1440p or 4k IPS

there has to be a 4k IPS monitor somewhere...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

@Deletive My speccs are like so:

• Intel Core I7 4790K 4.0 Ghz 8mb L3 Cache s1150, with a Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler.
  • An Asus Maximus VII Ranger LGA1150, Interl Z97, DDR3 1600.
  • G.Skill RipJaws-X 8GB
  • An SSD Samsung 850 PRO (256 GB) + WD 500GB HD
  • Corsair CS750M (750W)
  • GTX 980 asus strix 4GB VRAM. single core.
  • And a random benQ 23 inch' monitor running 1920X1080 (70$)

@TacticlTwinkie... wish there was that mid - range screen... But it's around 100$ more expensive then the 4k screen in my area.

@Deletive My speccs are like so:

• Intel Core I7 4790K 4.0 Ghz 8mb L3 Cache s1150, with a Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler.
  • An Asus Maximus VII Ranger LGA1150, Interl Z97, DDR3 1600.
  • G.Skill RipJaws-X 8GB
  • An SSD Samsung 850 PRO (256 GB) + WD 500GB HD
  • Corsair CS750M (750W)
  • GTX 980 asus strix 4GB VRAM. single core.
  • And a random benQ 23 inch' monitor running 1920X1080 (70$)

@TacticlTwinkie... wish there was that mid - range screen... But it's around 100$ more expensive in the arena i live then the 4k screen.. 

I would say the 980 would be able to run 4k. and would be a nice time as long as you dont' max everything.

if you care about viewing angles a lot, or are super into color then the IPS.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

1440 IPS, you can get ones that have decent response times and minimal ghosting etc. Plus they aren't stupid hard to drive like a 4k monitor will be

Hi mate, would you mind fixing your thread title and your poll, please? Because it's bugging the spelling nazi in me. :D

The word "choise" needs to be corrected to "choice". :)

@Yair Yehezkel

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Only 3 more posts then your custom member title option will be unlocked! ;)

@TacticlTwinkie

Hi mate, would you mind fixing your thread title and your poll, please? Because it's bugging the spelling nazi in me. :D

The word "choise" needs to be corrected to "choice". :)

@Yair Yehezkel

Yeah... I feel ashamed... derp :(

Yeah... I feel ashamed... derp :(

No need to feel ashamed mate, it's just a typo. :)

Actually this post can be a great video that Linus can do, the questions, even though he made lots of videos regarding this subject but never combining more the 1 element , like hz, type of monitor, reselotion (typo is real), maybe density of the pixels in differ t siZe screens . And how it can effect 'normal' and gamer users

I'm the owner of a 4k Tn panel by acer and as far as I know they use Samsung panels soo the 4k gets my vote!!

best display I've ever owned and that's coming from someone who used to have 3 1080p ips monitors in surround!!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Here's a screen that would cover multiple choices in your poll

Acer XB270HU - gamer screen, 1440p 27" 144Hz IPS with G-sync

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

BenQ GW2765HT is a 1440p ips panel. Which is cheaper then the 4k screen you mentioned.

People be looking for a reason to flame.

Why not both 4k AND IPS, I have two P2715Q monitors and they're amazing displays compared to the TN Samsung and acer monitors. Nearly the same price and it's on sale all the time.

Workstation i7-3930k | GTX 980 SLI | 2 x P2715Q (2160p) | AX1200i | H100i

Server E3-1245v3 | 24GB RAM | Be Quiet! 600W PSU | Be Quiet! Rock Pro 3