Who is the Target Audience for Apple's new MacBook?

TheFalseHuman

People who only use wifi and internet mostly.

But I don't really find it a notebook because of Core M.

its more of a deluxe tablet with a non-removeble keyboard.

Maybe its too thin?

Oh dear. Just had a look at their marketing bs http://www.apple.com/macbook/design/Basically selling cost savings and cutting corners as "innovation".

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

People who want a silent PC or a very portable computer... Or people who are idiots

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

People who buy things on a whim and look for the thing that looks cool

This is for people who aren't so full of them selves and their "PC master race" mentality that they can't look behind specs and gaming. This is for people who want a small and portable laptop that does what most people need to do on a computer. This is reflected in the IO everyone bitches about. The only IO I ever see my parents or my GF or my inlaws using, is the power chord. Expand to my brothers, and they'll use the audio jack as well. I will say, I think the adapter for screen/regular USB etc should be included in the price, but once you have that adapter, you'll have to admit, docking your laptop to your desktop setup with only one input that takes care of them all is a pretty neat thing. IMO, in laptops, OSX shits all over windows. Performance isn't the only value to a computer, especially not on a laptop.

Yes, it's a little on the expensive side, for a student it would/should be a hard sell to get this over the MB Air, but assuming there's no tight financial leash, the new MacBook all the way.

I'll probably be getting one in the summer

I think it's targeted to people who want a really lightweight notebook and don't mind about the price. I think it's a perfect gift for someone who isn't tech savvy but would like to have a device on which he would like to do some work. I can imagine my mum using it and she would love it because of the design and she wouldn't understand that is less powerful than my PC because it would run smooth and in most cases better. In addition she uses dropbox as her storage device so she wouldn't mind the limited IO. I think that this describes the target audience and probably the people who would buy it because it's an Apple product.

For people looking for a working alternative to the Asus UX303 because the RAID on those is leading to a 22% return rate.

I think the target audience will be those looking for an iPad but want more functions with downloading application that enable them to use it for their documents and of course, the keyboard. 

Maybe in between an iPad and Macbook Air.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-2400  |  Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3  |  8GB RAM  | Gigabyte R9-270X 4GB | Corsair Graphite 600T white edition | CMStorm Rapid I (blue Switch) | Razer Deathadder

Mobile Devices: Macbook Air 13" | iPad Mini (1st Gen) | iPhone 6 128GB | www.nic-koh.com

People who like OSX and they are nice for school and such.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

It's for the people who wan't to look important in Starbucks.

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

Thank you for being reasonable.

I shouldn't have to say that, but thank you.

hmmm.

18 Year old,College student, All expenses paid for by somewhat rich parents, wears fancy shirts and jeans, on the negative side.

Ideally should be a graphics design student, Maybe likes the OSX OS better than windows, Likes something that should be pretty reliable though at a cost.

Hey bro whatcha DOOOOOOOOIN *Barfs fruit salads on your chest*

i7 4820K / Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ 6GB \ 16GB Corsair Vengeance (4X4) / Gigabyte X79-UD3 \ EVGA Supernova G2 850W / Windows 7 Ultimate / Dell U2412M \

Dat be spooky....my hella rad pootpoot *u*

Somebody who wants a thin super light well crafted OSX machine for general use?

Seems pretty obvious :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

If all you do is run a browser and don't want to worry too much about viruses and stuff then it should do you fine.

but for $1200?

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M

But the competition for cheaper......

I said "somebody who wants a machine running OSX" , there is no competition if you want to run OSX

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I said "somebody who wants a machine running OSX" , there is no competition if you want to run OSX

But is OS X really worth that much of an extra price for restrictions in their OS?

On @Victorious Secret_sectret 's thread, I admitted that I honestly quite like the new MacBook. For the price? No. But I like the idea of it being a fanless, light, and thin laptop with a 2k display. It seems to me like a very efficient tablet. I would be interested IF the price was right. But it's not and its a stupid product as a result.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

But is OS X really worth that much of an extra price for restrictions in their OS?

Its not about what its worth, its about what somebody wants to use

OSX is not restrictive at all

On @Victorious Secret_sectret 's thread, I admitted that I honestly quite like the new MacBook. For the price? No. But I like the idea of it being a fanless, light, and thin laptop with a 2k display. It seems to me like a very efficient tablet. I would be interested IF the price was right. But it's not and its a stupid product as a result.

Its the Apple tax back in its rawest form. Its even worse than the original Air. Maybe in ~2 years the Macbook will settling into a price range that makes sense, maybe even supplant the Air entirely. But not right now. 

Its not about what its worth, its about what somebody wants to use

OSX is not restrictive at all

The only people who say OS X is restrictive are those who have never used it. Its just as powerful an OS as anything else for most people. Restrictive my ass. 

Its the Apple tax back in its rawest form. Its even worse than the original Air. Maybe in ~2 years the Macbook will settling into a price range that makes sense, maybe even supplant the Air entirely. But not right now.

For the record, I'm not even an apple fan. I never used OSX as a primary driver either. If they had priced this notebook at ~$600-$700 I would have thrown my money at them like peanuts to monkeys. The reason I wouldn't mind this is because personally, I wouldn't use it for anything demanding. My desktop is for that. However, it would be a great personal manager for the go. Just not at the expense of my wallet's death.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

PC Perspective has a review on the CPU (not any computer as a whole) and it seems to be a pretty respectable processor considering the extremely low power rating and clock speed.  

The target audience is some one looking for a very portable computer that is doing online work, office productivity, social networking, etc.  Basically everything that an average  consumer would want from a computer.   

Gamers and content creators are not the average consumer.  This computer is not made for probably 99.9% of this forum's regular patrons.  

If people would take off their anti-Apple glasses and stop drinking all that hater-aid for a minute and look with an objective eye, they'd see that it really is a fine computer.  At face value, yes I'll agree it's a bit expensive, but it's the first of its kind.  Remember how much the first MacBook Air cost?  Look at it now.  Price isn't everything.  

Edit // And it'll have the easiest hardware troubleshooting guide ever.  

I am not a content creator, nor a gamer, I'm a more-tech-savvy-than-most consumer. I could not buy this laptop for the sole reason of the I/O, and no, Apple, I'm not buying your $80 adapter that probably cost you $2 to manufacture.

My mom is the least demanding (technologically) person I know and STILL couldn't use this for the same reason.

ASUS TransformerBook Chi T300 FTW!

If all you do is run a browser and don't want to worry too much about viruses and stuff then it should do you fine.

Then you buy an iPad Air... (There's still malware on Macs, such as InstallMac. They aren't technically viruses, but Joe Average doesn't know that.)

This is for people who aren't so full of themselves and their "PC master race" mentality that they can't look behind specs and gaming. 

1. I care for neither specs nor gaming.
  2. If you're going to pull the PCMR card, it's referring to how supposedly desktop-OS-running computers are better than game consoles, not PC vs. Mac.

This is reflected in the IO everyone bitches about. The only IO I ever see my parents or my GF or my in laws using, is the power cord. Expand to my brothers, and they'll use the audio jack as well.

Really. So either they're the least tech savvy people on the face of the planet, or you're bending reality to justify a future purchase.

I will say, I think the adapter for screen/regular USB etc should be included in the price, but once you have that adapter, you'll have to admit, docking your laptop to your desktop setup with only one input that takes care of them all is a pretty neat thing.

Except the processor can't handle it. The Core M is designed for Netbooks or Windows tablets. It's basically a fanless Atom.

IMO, in laptops, OS X shits all over windows.

Some (including me) would argue that they would never buy a laptop without a touch display.

Not to mention that Dell's Inspiron 15 7000 has an option with a i7-5500U, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 1TB of storage, a 15" UHD touchscreen, AMD Radeon R7 M270 discrete graphics, 3 USB, HDMI and a free Android tablet thrown in. The really great thing: That configuration starts at $1,099.

OS X Yosemite also feels really clunky to me, and the color scheme is atrocious. (I use it every other week or so for 8 hours straight, I do ProPresenter slides at my church, which uses a 2012 MacBook Pro running 10.10.X)

Performance isn't the only value to a computer, especially not on a laptop.

(I'm assuming design is what you're referencing) Is that worth the $600 over the ASUS TransformerBook Chi T300, which is basically the same computer with better connectivity, a touchscreen that's also a tablet and a little bit lower resolution display for $699?

Yes, it's a little on the expensive side, for a student it would/should be a hard sell to get this over the MB Air, but assuming there's no tight financial leash, the new MacBook all the way.

I'll probably be getting one in the summer

How will you use it with the limited I/O? The cheap-looking $80 adapter?

I think it's targeted to people who want a really lightweight notebook and don't mind about the price. I think it's a perfect gift for someone who isn't tech savvy but would like to have a device on which he would like to do some work. I can imagine my mum using it and she would love it because of the design and she wouldn't understand that is less powerful than my PC because it would run smooth and in most cases better. In addition she uses dropbox as her storage device so she wouldn't mind the limited IO. I think that this describes the target audience and probably the people who would buy it because it's an Apple product.

Again, ASUS TransformerBook Chi T300 Signature Edition or MBA.

I think the target audience will be those looking for an iPad but want more functions with downloading application that enable them to use it for their documents and of course, the keyboard. 

Maybe in between an iPad and Macbook Air.

From a spec-only perspective, yes, it's between the iPad Air 2 and the MBA. But it's $1,299.

(To be fair, the 128GB iPad Air 2 is $799, and a keyboard case is usually $99-$129, but that's the point where a MBA would be better.)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650