GTX 980 Price drop with new 8gb models

Xv Ghostly vX

Please forgive me if this question has been asked to death but I really need an answer.

I know the 980 Ti and 980 8GB models were supposed to come out but were delayed. I have heard rumors that they were supposed to release sometime this month. Is this true?

Anyways, my real issue is that I was planning on buying 2 980 4GB now for gaming at high res in 1440p. I can afford this now, but I would like to save as much money as possible. Will the 4GB models drop in price when the 8GB models release? How much so? And how much will the 8GB and Ti models cost upon release? I think they will be overkill for my needs though.

weiners

I have heard no such rumors.

But buying two 980s is a bad idea. They're overpriced through the roof. If you want high resolution gaming get an R9 295x2 (the cheapest you can find with the reference cooler), it's a much better chocie for the money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Please forgive me if this question has been asked to death but I really need an answer.

I know the 980 Ti and 980 8GB models were supposed to come out but were delayed. I have heard rumors that they were supposed to release sometime this month. Is this true?

Anyways, my real issue is that I was planning on buying 2 980 4GB now for gaming at high res in 1440p. I can afford this now, but I would like to save as much money as possible. Will the 4GB models drop in price when the 8GB models release? How much so? And how much will the 8GB and Ti models cost upon release? I think they will be overkill for my needs though.

OMG THERE IS NO 980TI

sry caps lock :P

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

One 980 is enough for 1440p. Hell, even 1 970 is enough.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I have heard no such rumors.

But buying two 980s is a bad idea. They're overpriced through the roof. If you want high resolution gaming get an R9 295x2 (the cheapest you can find with the reference cooler), it's a much better chocie for the money.

OMG THERE IS NO 980TI

sry caps lock :P

One 980 is enough for 1440p. Hell, even 1 970 is enough.

Okay so just like I thought no one actually answered any of my questions.

First off, a few hundred dollars more for only slight improvement is not a factor for me.  I plan on using dual monitors and playing at very high fps so I want 2 980s.

I hate AMD GPUs so GTFO this thread nobody asked for your opinion.

Btw, I was pretty sure there was no 980 Ti I was just checking. But I know for a fact there are 8 GB models around the corner so could someone please answer my questions?

Thanks, sorry for raging.

weiners

One 980, one 970, one 290x, two 290s, 290xs, 970s are the best "value" options for 1440p gaming.

Two 980s is overkill.

One 980, one 970, one 290x, two 290s, 290xs, 970s are the best "value" options for 1440p gaming.

Two 980s is overkill.

eb6.jpg?1307463786

weiners

there won't be a 980ti, the 980 is the full chip, nothing more to come from the architecture. 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

"Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.

If you don't like the advice someone is giving you, tell them why instead of calling them a troll/stupid. 

I doubt the 980 will go down in price even if 8GB versions come out (which I don't think they are), since they will be so much more expensive anyways. You'll probably have to wait for the 300 series in June/after for prices to go down. There won't be a 980ti. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

FYI two 980's for 1440p gaming is a waste... As @Sauron said a 295x2 or 2 970s is a way better option.  If you are willing to wait, get the 390x when it comes out...

Also:

post-117080-0-49886800-1425846988.gif

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

If you don't like the advice someone is giving you, tell them why instead of calling them a troll/stupid. 

I doubt the 980 will go down in price even if 8GB versions come out (which I don't think they are), since they will be so much more expensive anyways. You'll probably have to wait for the 300 series in June/after for prices to go down. There won't be a 980ti. 

Thanks for being the first person to answer my question.

And I posted that pic because someone gave a stupid answer, I responded and explained why that answer was not helpful to me, and then another user replies the same exact stupid answer. He clearly didn't read the entire thread before posting, which is not a smart thing to do.

weiners

First off, a few hundred dollars more for only slight improvement is not a factor for me.  I plan on using dual monitors and playing at very high fps so I want 2 980s.

Btw, I was pretty sure there was no 980 Ti I was just checking. But I know for a fact there are 8 GB models around the corner so could someone please answer my questions?

Yeah, there is a lot of people on here who say "Don't get the 980 blah blah blah!"  It's not like they are paying for it and it is your money so if your are dead set on the 980 go get it. 

As much as I enjoy your little rant, I hate to say but, everything is just speculation from 980 8GB and the Ti variant (as most people will tell you that the 980 is already a fully unlocked GM204, correct me if I am wrong).  Do you have a link as to where you might have read about the 980 8GB? Price going down if this ever gets released?  I do not think so.  Again, it is all speculation. 

You can always wait for the Titan X if you got the money to spend

I have a potato!

Yeah, there is a lot of people on here who say "Don't get the 980 blah blah blah!"  It's not like they are paying for it and it is your money so if your are dead set on the 980 go get it. 

As much as I enjoy your little rant, I hate to say but, everything is just speculation from 980 8GB and the Ti variant (as most people will tell you that the 980 is already a fully unlocked GM204, correct me if I am wrong).  Do you have a link as to where you might have read about the 980 8GB? Price going down if this ever gets released?  I do not think so.

You can always wait for the Titan X if you got the money to spend

Thank you for understanding. And no I could not find any credible sources online regarding the information so I was asking around here to shed light on the situation. My research before posting consisted of searching Google for 980 8GB model.

weiners

Remind me not to bother giving you advice again.

You didn't give me advice. You just complained that I was wasting my money that I earned. None of which pertained to the question at hand.

weiners

46250131.jpg

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

46250131.jpg

huehue I know I won't deny it

weiners

You didn't give me advice. You just complained that I was wasting my money that I earned. None of which pertained to the question at hand.

I never complained about anything. I stated, quite clearly, that my view is two 980s is unnecessary for 1440p gaming and provided a list of suitable solutions.

Perhaps you could look through the forums a bit, there's only about 50 threads per day made about 8gb 980s, 980Ti, best cards for 1440p and everything you're asking about.

Thank you for understanding. And no I could not find any credible sources online regarding the information so I was asking around here to shed light on the situation. My research before posting consisted of searching Google for 980 8GB model.

I follow this board amongst many others to include tech websites and I have yet to see or hear anything about the 980 8GB.  A lot of people are waiting for a 980 Ti variant of some sort but until it gets released from the horses mouth, you may be playing the waiting game....forever.

Just go with what you want for right now.  If it costs a butt ton and you do not mind it, who cares what other people say.  For me, I hate buyers remorse when I know I could have bought something better even if it will cost me.  I can afford to live this lifestyle. 

I have a potato!

Just buy Titan X and be done with it. It's going to be out in 3 weeks.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Just buy Titan X. It's going to be out in 3 weeks.

I heard about that. I know nothing official is out but about how much will it cost and what will its performance be in relation to 2 980s in SLI.

weiners

There has been *Jack shit* of info for 8gig 980s, let alone a price drop, so I dunno where the hell you heard that cause it ain't true

Dude, check the damn attitude. We don't get paid to answer your stupid questions about cards that aren't out yet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*