You kids have it so easy these days in building a computer....

Arct1c0n

You kids these days have it so damn easy in building computers. It's utterly amazing how much has changed when 14 years ago at this time, I was spending hours and hours between my college IT classes figuring out why the hell Intel was getting its ass kicked by this "AMD" company and why spending the money on this new "Geforce 3" was such a big deal compared to previous versions that ran Quake 2 just fine but Unreal squashed that.

Back when I wanted to build my first computer in late 2000/early 2001 as a  young lad of 20 *God I feel old now* I had to go through a rirtual only other old, get off my lawn farts can understand now  :P

- lots of snip (I feel like a freaking forum surgeon!) -

My very first computer was one my mom built for a game that came out when I was four. A dual CPU on a slocket riser card, AMD because they were the shit in '99, 128MB RAM, 3x 500MB HDD (with those horribly constructed Master/Slave jumpers that are all now broken and since replaced), and that wonderful 56k modem (That never reached 33k, even on the days the computer gods were blessing us), and a HUGE 17" CRT monitor. That AGP card was hella rad, not sure what one it was though. All that work though, and it is still my second favorite computer ever. I'll have to post pics and specs next time I venture back to my home state and have a chance to examine it one last time before I reassemble it and see if that bad boy still fires up.

I take great pride in saying that I truly appreciate where we came from. My mom says she spent close to $2500 on that computer, mainly becasue of the inclusion of TWO CD drives, one read, one write. If I recal correctly, it also had a nice sound card for that day in age. I truly miss the parallel and serial ports being built right into the motherboard, and would gladly go back in time at my current age just to experience it.

I should also note that we didn't get rid of our dial-up until my sister was almost eight years old - in 2008. Momma always said that if you can't deal with slow internet, you can't deal with the pleasure of having a computer. She made it a priority to teach myself and my two younger siblings to be grateful for what we have, because in 2008, we were still the only people on our block with internet access.

TL;DR - Computer history is important to me, I wouldn't have what I do now without it, so I pay massive respect to the pre-2000s technicians and enthusiasts.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I am glad people paved the way for us, because I wouldn't have gone through all that lol.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Remember when ABIT was a big motherboard player?

-snip-

Yep, I actually picked up one of their dual socket motherboards yesterday. And 2x Pentium III 1GHz still work extremely well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

ohhh man the old "slave" and "master" PATA days! I hadn't seen one of those for quite a while till Linus used one in that 300 dollar build off!

Dealt with all of these without too much trouble when I was 8, surely you could deal just fine with them when you were 20. ;)

Remember when all you could do about old power supply cables was this?  Pepperidge farm remembers...

I Once tied them all together with a 6 inch wide roll of black electrical tape. I was so smugg that it looked better than using those things. Then I got a second hard drive and ended up with a lot of repairs needing to be made to cut power supply cables.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

All hail the seatbelts (IDE cables)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Yep, I actually picked up one of their dual socket motherboards yesterday. And 2x Pentium III 1GHz still work extremely well.

Dude, thats historic, keep it 4eva!

trying to install a soundblaster 16 pro in 1994.... (think that was the card)

An awesome bit of hardware for it's time that actually let you play music....CD's with the appropriate drive.

Getting it to work however? yeah that took a bit of doing, and had constant conflicts with other devices (like the mouse)

I do not miss having to configure interupts for every bit of hardware. USB what's that? plug and play....There were rumours, but nothing had happened yet, and you had better have the driver disks.

Acoustic coupler? you've got way too much money don't you....

I Once tied them all together with a 6 inch wide roll of black electrical tape. I was so smugg that it looked better than using those things. Then I got a second hard drive and ended up with a lot of repairs needing to be made to cut power supply cables.

And electric tape leaves a fucking sticky mess....  Remember when you could be a total pimp and slice/roll your IDE ables if you were REALLY, REALLY CAREFUL?

cutcable320.jpg

I remember my dad's old dell.

IDE cables for days, back when computers were still all about the deep south, and that was the first computer I ever saw that had toolless drive removal. They were those awful sleds you had to screw onto the sides of the drive.

Dell Optiplex cases... they split open instead of having side panels.

Then we had the Civil War and the filthy northern SATA scumbags took our wonderful Master/Slave system and made everything equal... EQUAL!?

Those were the days when Maxtor ruled the planet earth.

trying to install a soundblaster 16 pro in 1994.... (think that was the card)

An awesome bit of hardware for it's time that actually let you play music....CD's with the appropriate drive.

Remember when you HAD to use this cable for full digital CD music?

160282.gif

I remember back in those days you had to periodically degauss your monitor after long periods of usage. lol

But they last longer i see have fully functional crt after 30 years can modern led monitors do that.

Dont' ever say...... the M word.....

why is this not pinned?

Because it's not pin-worthy.

You know as well as I do what a bane they were to the existence of things, then... Muahahahahaa I commend you sir for having gone through such a plight

Oh, and taking them apart is murder.

Remember when you HAD to use this cable for full digital CD music?

Pretty sure my soundblaster card didn't have one.

But I was installing warlords from a floppy disk.

This reminds me of my first PC Build :lol: Windows 98 was awesome back then.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Dude, thats historic, keep it 4eva!

Of course I'll keep it, its my main rig now after all:

post-155575-0-48980100-1425684148_thumb.

post-155575-0-55885600-1425684162_thumb.

post-155575-0-89752500-1425684171_thumb.

I remember my dad's old dell.

IDE cables for days, back when computers were still all about the deep south, and that was the first computer I ever saw that had toolless drive removal. They were those awful sleds you had to screw onto the sides of the drive.

Dell Optiplex cases... they split open instead of having side panels.

Then we had the Civil War and the filthy northern SATA scumbags took our wonderful Master/Slave system and made everything equal... EQUAL!?

Ruled the planet with upside down molex connectors and jumper settings that never made sense until you looked at the manual?

Lol, why not? until a few weeks ago I still had a Maxtor 420MB HDD working (the control board died).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Heck screw that little "How to build a PC" book. After I fried an AT power supply because I plugged it in wrong, my dad forbid me from buying any more computer parts until I bought and read that ultra-thick, heavy beast called "Upgrading and Repairing PCs". You want to learn everything there is to know, sit down and give that thing a read. Of course today you can just get that on your Kindle or tablet instead of having to deal with that massive tome. The 22nd Edition comes out later this year, slated to be about 1200 pages -- about the same length as the 21st Edition currently on shelves. I think mine was the 10th Edition, which I bought at..... CompUSA.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Ok grandpa...

WTF bogan, don't quote my entire post 

WTF bogan, don't quote my entire post

xD lol your fault for so long

You left me crying that we have it so much easier 

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler