You kids have it so easy these days in building a computer....

Arct1c0n

I've got a modem in a PCIe 1x slot.

Wait they make those? is it a dialup modem or an internal DSL modem?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

That stuff is easy compared to the stuff from the 80s. IRQs, DMAs, MFM, all your bios options were jumpers on the motherboards. You overclocked by replacing a crystal oscillator (who the fuck overclocked back then), etc.

Plug n play was not a thing.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Zip drives? Those things were more expensive than CD drives... that and the disks themselves costed the same as a 10 pack of 600mb CDs...

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Zip drives? Those things were more expensive than CD drives... that and the disks themselves costed the same as a 10 pack of 600mb CDs...

When burnable cd's where new the 100 and even the 250MB capacity ones where closer to twice or 4 times as expensive and reusable. the super high capacity 750's are the ones that would cost you an arm and a leg.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

To be fair, if you have dual CPUs today you're still a god among men...

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

To be fair, if you have dual CPUs today you're still a god among men...

For someone running a renderer or commercial application yes. for someone playing a video game your a relic of a long dead era.

A usb external modem... Someone is super fancy. We got by just fine in my day with a serial external modem just for the love of god remember that windows dosn't remember com ports correctly so change it every time you dial up #windows95problems.

USB modem = you were a player. Most of them were parallel connections remember? And GOD FORBID if you didn't assign it the right IRQ and port number before dialing out!

When burnable cd's where new the 100 and even the 250MB capacity ones where closer to twice or 4 times as expensive and reusable. the super high capacity 750's are the ones that would cost you an arm and a leg.

Back when the max burning speed was 16x from TDK and those drives were nearly $300

Fuckin IDE cables... 

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Yeah, fair enough, building a computer was a lot harder back then, but it was also a lot more fun imho. :P

And I know we've gotten it out of the way, but don't you ever use this as ammunition to blindly condescend us about how hard you had it back then, and how ridiculously easy building computers is now. Just the fact that it was harder would not make a damn bit of difference with any of us. Don't measure our passion for computers on how hard the challenge is. I will bet that if you stuck any one of us in the 90s and told us to go out and build a computer, we'd do just fine. Maybe take a little bit more time, but that's just how it was back then. Perhaps you didn't mean it, that's fine, but you know how people can take things, and it looked a bit patronizing to me, so I just needed to get it off my chest.

Welcome to the Information Age. :D

oooooh the days.........  -_-   I remeber ... nooooooooooooooooo wake me up, it's a nightmare!!!!!

Yeah, fair enough, building a computer was a lot harder back then, but it was also a lot more fun imho. :P

And I know we've gotten it out of the way, but don't you ever use this as ammunition to blindly condescend us about how hard you had it back then, and how ridiculously easy building computers is now. Just the fact that it was harder would not make a damn bit of difference with any of us. Don't measure our passion for computers on how hard the challenge is. I will bet that if you stuck any one of us in the 90s and told us to go out and build a computer, we'd do just fine. Maybe take a little bit more time, but that's just how it was back then. Perhaps you didn't mean it, that's fine, but you know how people can take things, and it looked a bit patronizing to me, so I just needed to get it off my chest.

It's.... a .... sarcastic...... joke........  Read the OP more detailed and notice my emoticons.

I"ll give you a pass for not having english as native language

CRT monitors with high hz rates/lowlatency  where the only good thing about those days

Remember the horror.....the fucking FLAT HORROR!!!!

photo2.jpg

I see this mess at least once or twice a week. It's terrible.

I bless the based SATA gods.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Bruh your so "condescending"....Lol. Anyhow I can see this took you a good deal of time. But some invalid reasons were obvious..Such as the Microsoft key not working. you'd be spending 30 minutes online getting a new one in 2015 still lol, and putting to much pressure on the heatsink? bending pins? Thats stuff you still need to be careful with nowadays, which everyone is with their new gaming rigs. I used to have dial up internet and I tore apart and reassembled a PC that we got in 2002, really in my opinion it was less confusing than my current PC I built last year Lol. Anyways nice topic, you could have left out "Kids" however..just a tip.

I see this mess at least once or twice a week. It's terrible.

I bless the based SATA gods.

Remember when all you could do about old power supply cables was this?  Pepperidge farm remembers...

post-72235-1188216143.jpg

Oh god the original fear. I remember trying to run that on a cpu bound system and turning all of the settings to lowest ... the damn thing looked like pixel art and still gave me less than 10 FPS.

Remember when all you could do about old power supply cables was this?  Pepperidge farm remembers...

I see this every week, still have to work with computers from ~2000 - 2010

Today I had to diagnose a Pentium 4 Dell that would not boot.

It's.... a .... sarcastic...... joke........  Read the OP more detailed and notice my emoticons.

I"ll give you a pass for not having english as native language

I'm begging you, for your own sake: Don't give me that pass, because I would have totally kicked you out from under your feet with it, and I would have laughed derisively. I'm an exchange student.  :lol:  :lol:  :P

I perfectly understand that it's a sarcastic joke, it's just that I know that there are certain people on this forum (not including myself) who take things like this rather... personally. All I was doing was getting the whole thing out of the way, and if you read the post, there are a couple of (admittedly subtle) hints that I was acknowledging that it was a joke. I had read the rest of the thread, but...

we have to think of other people. ;)

I'm begging you, for your own sake: Don't give me that pass, because I would have totally kicked you out from under your feet with it, and I would have laughed derisively. I'm an exchange student.  :lol:  :lol:  :P

I perfectly understand that it's a sarcastic joke, it's just that I know that there are certain people on this forum (not including myself) who take things like this rather... personally. All I was doing was getting the whole thing out of the way, and if you read the post, there are a couple of (admittedly subtle) hints that I was acknowledging that it was a joke. I had read the rest of the thread, but...

we have to think of other people. ;)

Ah, I saw your location so I just assumed. If you can kick 300lbs pounds of me down, i'll give you credit. 

Remember the horror.....the fucking FLAT HORROR!!!!

photo2.jpg

I can see your problem, your not using short IDE cables. I use them in my rig since the IDE headers are so close to the front, and it actually has better cable management than my i5 rig with its SATA cables.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL