Free Your PC, Learn Linux, Embrace The Future

I'd love to hear about how it works when you'very tried it^^ until then I'm going to use windows for gaming.

Here's a link to the thread post where I first heard of this method. Keep in mind the original post is over a year old now, but there's a TON of info in that thread, so you might want to grab a coffee (or a beer) before you start reading. ;)

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/what-if-i-want-everything/41520

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

First off, I thought I had quoted someone else who said that earlier, so please forgive my harshness.  :unsure:

Second, because of the way windows is structured vs. the way Linux is structured, it's far more difficult to get malware on Linux in the first place. It far easier to gain admin access on a windows machine and have programs running, downloading, installing under the user (admin) even without their knowledge, but with Linux the only way a program can run is by gaining root access which can only be allowed by the user. Because of the manner in which programs are acquired and installed within the Linux eco system (from repositories), it's FAR more secure and guarded against malware. 

I would say, with a high degree of certainty, that the mount of malware in existence targeted at windows is vastly greater than that targeted at Linux.

Here's one case scenario; The unsuspecting user accidentally clicks on a wrong link or ad link which triggers and automatic download which then automatically runs the .exe that installs some kind of trojan or worm or toolbar adware/spyware that roots itself deep within the windows system files. On a Linux system, the worst that could happen is the program is downloaded and that's it. It can't run because the program was designed to run on and infect windows systems and it also doesn't have root access.

It seems like viruses are less of an issue these days, but malware and PUPs have gotten worse I think.

At least they aren't CIH, I managed to find a copy of it, and since I've got a slot 1 motherboard with one of the vulnerable bios, and its all lined up for a test. All things going the way they are supposed to, the HDD will be wiped and so will the bios.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

"And if a lot of people switch over to linux there will be just as many viruses as for windows, don't kid yourself, the OS is not safer, it is just less profitable for e-crime."

1. Servers running Linux are not profitable for e-crime ? (Which accounts for almost 60% of global servers)

2. Last year alone 1 Billion Linux devices were sold commercially (Android). How is that not mass adaptation of Linux?

3. All linux are ( Bootloader + Linux Kernel + User Environment). Most hacks happen at the user environment.. that show more about the users attitudes than the technologies it was built upon.

4. Even with Windows bad rep for viruses and Malware users can and do secure them self.

IMHO the old list of why and why not one should use Linux is getting obsolete (or at least they should)

1. Arguments of Malware and Viruses on Linux vs Windows should not be the key factor in deciding why one should use linux. All OS's can be protected against such things and all are vulnerable (some more than others)

2. Privacy is not a contender anymore. Anyone with a Android / iOS / Windows Phone  knows (or at least should) the modern features of unified ease  of using calenders, contacts and messaging comes with the cost of our privacy. ' Ever wondered how the flight you booked with the gmail email shows up on your mobile calender'

3. People who are not tech savvy have a hard time using linux, especially older population. The problem is not Linux or Windows is better. People want to click on something and for it to work. There is an entire new generation of iPAD kids. They want the function and not how it functions.

4. In the past we went to school and learn how spell, write count and do math. Going forward where computers are the norm we are still lagging behind on how to use them properly, understand how they work and some do not even know how to make it work for them.

What Linux (also BSD) offers that other OS'es at the moment do not offer is to know these differences. This is why you should you use linux. IMHO. If not just use what works for you best. Note ignorance is not bliss.

• 3 weeks later...

So back in 2010 I used Debian as my main operating system and soon after that I move to mac, then windows again lol

But recently I've got an old Thinkpad x220 Tablet working that I've installed Linux Mint on, besides work I think I'm mainly going to be using linux and android. So far my move over isn't really that bad, I don't know why it would be bad anyways but o well. Most of the applications I used in windows I've managed to find an alternative in linux mint. 

In a few months or sooner I'm going to be moving to a different distro, just to dip my hands into other operating systems. Any suggestions, I've use Debian, Mint and Ubuntu now. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

Arch and CentOS arch my go-to distros.

Arch is for the tinkerer and tech enthusiast in me, CentOS is for my server and my work machines. Incredibly stable und good support.

I'm SOOOOO FOR this movement.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

I'm SOOOOO FOR this movement.

You may want to sub to this channel. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOWcZ6Wicl-1N34H0zZe38w

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

I've honestly tried Ubuntu, and I like it. I still rather way prefer windows, due to natural reasons but usually if there's something I need done quickly or if its something that just needs Linux, then yeah I'll use it. Honestly I use about 65% of the time windows and 35% of the time Linux. Linux is good but there can still be many improvements to it before It becomes my and almost everyones daily driver.

Intel i5-6600k (Cooled by a 212 evo) - Asus Z170-A - Asus Dual OC GTX 1060 - NZXT S340 - WD 1TB (Getting SSD this month, hopefully) - 8GB DDR4-2400

LG G4 - Asus Zenwatch 2

Something being free rarely makes it good. Usually the opposite.

I've used Linux as a primary operating system for years, and - in a desktop environment - it's not the future.

Something being free rarely makes it good. Usually the opposite.

I've used Linux as a primary operating system for years, and - in a desktop environment - it's not the future.

From a consumer standpoint I don't think it will gain much traction there's no denying that. Typical consumers reject change and that can be proven just by how big of an impact Windows 8 made with the new start menu. I don't see Linux becoming popular among typical consumers although as it grows with game support (the biggest reason most of us don't run it) I think it will become more of a favorable platform among us techies.

Wendell was spot on in this intro to Linux in their new TekLinux channel. 

If you're new to the tech side of Software & Networking, Linux is a perfect way to learn, especially if you commit to using CLI (terminal) for configuring your system, installing software and such. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Wendell was spot on in this intro to Linux in their new TekLinux channel. 

If you're new to the tech side of Software & Networking, Linux is a perfect way to learn, especially if you commit to using CLI (terminal) for configuring your system, installing software and such. 

Wendell is always spot on,   Unfortunately Logan was spot on too in his recent rant on the community.  I've encountered that attitude too in my first attempts to switch some years ago.  It did put me off back then.

Currently still choosing between Mint MATE and Cinnamon for my dualboot, but it'll be Mint either way.  I'm by no means a power user (although I don't mind using the Terminal), I just want to use open source as much as possible. Cities:Skylines gives me a perfect excuse to slowly move over.

Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of linux is tech support. Unlike a MAC or Windows you cannot readily call up tech support to get you going. Linux is wonky on that and  relegated to forums and IRC. Which makes it harder for entry level users to get going. I started my journey into linux in 2004. It's not till 2009 i switched full time to linux. Nowadays its about the best tool for the job.

1. Gaming -> Win8.1pro

2. Work -> Win8.1pro & Open source Applications

3. Personal Use -> Arch Linux + Open source Application

4. Networking & Servers -> BSD & Linux

5. Mobile -> Android Custom ROMS

It will be interesting to see how people use the Linux in general?

Just installed Xubuntu and having a blast playing talos principle via steam. Giving linux another shot after initially being disheartened by the slow AMD GPU drivers for linux.

Steam for Linux is really top notch I have to say. I just went to the steam website clicked install and it installed steam. Also makes games so easy to manage on Linux for install/uninstall.

I know the above sounds like I'm stating the obvious but I do wish more stuff on Linux was as easy as steam on linux. For me day to day usage is not a problem as I have Firefox and vlc and steam and libre office. It's when I want to install some slightly less popular program that windows is better- i just download and double click an exe and it does the rest. On Linux it seems like there is always more to it where i have to google some stuff to know how to get it working and all the dependencies...

Just installed Xubuntu and having a blast playing talos principle via steam. Giving linux another shot after initially being disheartened by the slow AMD GPU drivers for linux.

Steam for Linux is really top notch I have to say. I just went to the steam website clicked install and it installed steam. Also makes games so easy to manage on Linux for install/uninstall.

I know the above sounds like I'm stating the obvious but I do wish more stuff on Linux was as easy as steam on linux. For me day to day usage is not a problem as I have Firefox and vlc and steam and libre office. It's when I want to install some slightly less popular program that windows is better- i just download and double click an exe and it does the rest. On Linux it seems like there is always more to it where i have to google some stuff to know how to get it working and all the dependencies...

Just curious, are you using Nvidia or AMD GPU? Only reason I ask is because the current AMD graphics drivers are giving really poor gaming performance where as Nvidia drivers are pretty much at windows-level of performance (which is freakin awesome).

Hey, AMD; FIX YOUR LINUX DRIVERS!!!!

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Just curious, are you using Nvidia or AMD GPU? Only reason I ask is because the current AMD graphics drivers are giving really poor gaming performance where as Nvidia drivers are pretty much at windows-level of performance (which is freakin awesome).

Did Omega drivers fix the Linux side of things?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Did Omega drivers fix the Linux side of things?

AMD has enough problems making decent drivers for Windows, so no probably not.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Their drivers aren't that bad. They are far more stable and easier to install than Nvidia proprietary blobs. They just perform a little worse than the Windows driver. Phoronix has done quite a bit of benchmarking and it's not as drastic as people make it out to be. Although good news is AMD hired 2 new employees for improving the Linux drivers.

can someone explain the advantages of linux over windows?

i heard its a little more efficient for low end devices but i dont get it..

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

can someone explain the advantages of linux over windows?

i heard its a little more efficient for low end devices but i dont get it..

It's an open platform and lets you have an amazing amount of control over, well, everything! Many things in windows work automagically, great for most but some people like to see what is really going on under the hood. Many people move to Linux for the learning elements involved and the sense of control.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

AMD has enough problems making decent drivers for Windows, so no probably not.

I thought you were already running an AMD GPU on Linux.

No I don't buy the usual fanboy stuff unless I see proof or experience it myself.

It's an open platform and lets you have an amazing amount of control over, well, everything! Many things in windows work automagically, great for most but some people like to see what is really going on under the hood. Many people move to Linux for the learning elements involved and the sense of control.

so nothing for people who wanta get stuff done?

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.