Free Your PC, Learn Linux, Embrace The Future

-snip- 

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I thought you were already running an AMD GPU on Linux.

No I don't buy the usual fanboy stuff unless I see proof or experience it myself.

Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 iGP - still runs like shit under even Lubuntu after all these years, even running Win 7 in classic mode is better.

PMSL

so nothing for people who wanta get stuff done?

Linux is a producible environment. There's nothing Linux cannot do that Windows can from my personal experience. The only problem you'll run into is software support. You wont get your adobe creative suite on Linux. Although there are open source and completely free alternatives. It's not like this with all software just select software including games. Game support has been pretty good in the past three years ever since Valve took on porting their source engine to Linux and starting the whole Linux gaming bandwagon. Since then we have been seeing more and more games ported for Linux with even some of the new big titles coming with Linux support out of the box (such as Batman: Arkham Knight).

Ati Mobility Radeon 9000 iGP - still runs like shit under even Lubuntu after all these years, even running Win 7 in classic mode is better.

That's to be expected as it's a discontinued product. The open source driver still gets minor fixes and improvements on old hardware although I wouldn't expect any drastic performance improvements. Catalyst itself hasn't supported the product for years now even on Windows.

Waaaay too old. Support has already discontinued, so don't expect driver updates.

That GPU is way too old and weak for any new OS these days, even newer Lubuntu distros.

Anyway, doesn't really support your argument that AMD Linux drivers are bad.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Waaaay too old. Support has already discontinued, so don't expect driver updates.

That GPU is way too old and weak for any new OS these days, even newer Lubuntu distros.

Anyway, doesn't really support your argument that AMD Linux drivers are bad.

I'll put it into perspective, my Riva 128ZX and Geforce 256 (when I had a cooler on it) were working better under Linux. Even my Stealth 3D 2000 Pro was better-and those things were never that good.

PMSL

I'll put it into perspective, my Riva 128ZX and Geforce 256 (when I had a cooler on it) were working better under Linux. Even my Stealth 3D 2000 Pro was better-and those things were never that good.

TBH I don't think anyone is going to go making it better, It's 2015 not 2003.

Intel graphics in my core 2 duo systems seems to run great in Linux. The game I'm currently working on runs flawless on it amazingly but when I compile for windows it chokes on the same systems on the intense bits of the game. Interesting observation I think but pretty meaningless.

2500K @ 4.5GHz | ASRock P67 Extreme 6 | 16GB Ram | GTX 750 Ti | 250gb SSD | 1TB+2TB HDD | 720W CoolerMaster PSU | Essense STX Sound Card | Define R5

Hmm, yeah in the old days maybe ATi's drivers were bad.

Things have changed A TON (even to the point of company buyouts). Don't see the point of generalizing still.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Did Omega drivers fix the Linux side of things?

Not really. 

AMD has enough problems making decent drivers for Windows, so no probably not.

AMD's windows drivers are just fine. I've been using AMD GPUs for years with windows and never once had an issue. Performance of my 7950 and R9 290 in windows with catalyst has always been pretty damn awesome. 

I really don't know where people get the idea that AMD windows drivers suck... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Their drivers aren't that bad. They are far more stable and easier to install than Nvidia proprietary blobs. They just perform a little worse than the Windows driver. Phoronix has done quite a bit of benchmarking and it's not as drastic as people make it out to be. Although good news is AMD hired 2 new employees for improving the Linux drivers.

Stability and installation doesn't seem to be AMD's problem on Linux. They just haven't optimized openGL performance. Their GPUs are crippled in Linux.

Just curious, are you using Nvidia or AMD GPU? Only reason I ask is because the current AMD graphics drivers are giving really poor gaming performance where as Nvidia drivers are pretty much at windows-level of performance (which is freakin awesome).

Hey, AMD; FIX YOUR LINUX DRIVERS!!!!

I am using an AMD R9 290. On windows I have had an extremely positive experience with this GPU. Very fast, great features, bug free.

On Linux there is some issue with the catalyst drivers where they create such a major bottleneck that your GPU isn't even trying. I have noticed this personally where my GPU will put out 30fps in games like witcher 2 or talos principle in Linux while remaining very cool like it's not trying to put out more fps. Obviously the driver is the bottleneck failing to work the GPU harder. It's not in 2-d mode, clocks are ok but it doesn't get worked harder. If you measure the power consumption of a hawai GPU in Linux gaming load it will be as efficient or even more efficient than Maxwell which proves my point.

Have made previous topics on this

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/290263-metro-redux-another-linux-disaster-for-amd-catalyst/#entry3941204

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/217588-valve-begins-publicly-listing-amd-catalyst-driver-bugs-in-linux/

Their drivers aren't that bad. They are far more stable and easier to install than Nvidia proprietary blobs. They just perform a little worse than the Windows driver. Phoronix has done quite a bit of benchmarking and it's not as drastic as people make it out to be. Although good news is AMD hired 2 new employees for improving the Linux drivers.

It depends on the particular card you're using. Apparently the 270/X (7850/7870)'s perform really well because they're the more common found AMD GPU used, where as my 7950, which should be faster, actually runs games like poop. Source games on my windows machine with the 7950 ran upwards of 250fps+. In Linux, the same source games run at 30-40fps. That's not "a little worse", that's significantly worse. AMD really needs to get on their game with their Linux drivers. 

If you want more info on Linux GPU drivers, check out this thread I posted over on the Tek. Some good in-depth discussion going on there: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/poor-gaming-performance-in-linux/77068

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Noted. Thanks for explaining that. :)

I have noticed some people refer to it as "GNU/Linux", what it really is. But I find it easier just to call it "Linux". ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

It depends on the particular card you're using. Apparently the 270/X (7850/7870)'s perform really well because they're the more common found AMD GPU used, where as my 7950, which should be faster, actually runs games like poop. Source games on my windows machine with the 7950 ran upwards of 250fps+. In Linux, the same source games run at 30-40fps. That's not "a little worse", that's significantly worse. AMD really needs to get on their game with their Linux drivers. 

If you want more info on Linux GPU drivers, check out this thread I posted over on the Tek. Some good in-depth discussion going on there: https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/poor-gaming-performance-in-linux/77068

Hmm, interesting.

While I can understand why AMD is lagging (possibly deliberately because of financial issues) in Linux driver quality, I hope they will up their game ASAP. Especially when they have the talents to create stuffs like Mantle.

Stability and installation doesn't seem to be AMD's problem on Linux. They just haven't optimized openGL performance. Their GPUs are crippled in Linux.

I am using an AMD R9 290. On windows I have had an extremely positive experience with this GPU. Very fast, great features, bug free.

On Linux there is some issue with the catalyst drivers where they create such a major bottleneck that your GPU isn't even trying. I have noticed this personally where my GPU will put out 30fps in games like witcher 2 or talos principle in Linux while remaining very cool like it's not trying to put out more fps. Obviously the driver is the bottleneck failing to work the GPU harder. It's not in 2-d mode, clocks are ok but it doesn't get worked harder. If you measure the power consumption of a hawai GPU in Linux gaming load it will be as efficient or even more efficient than Maxwell which proves my point.

Have made previous topics on this

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/290263-metro-redux-another-linux-disaster-for-amd-catalyst/#entry3941204

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/217588-valve-begins-publicly-listing-amd-catalyst-driver-bugs-in-linux/

Yeah, I noticed the same thing with my 7950. It wasn't even trying. Fans weren't spinning up and it wasn't even getting warm.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Wendell did mention driver stuff and where to get Nvidia and AMD drivers in his latest video (on how to install Ubuntu Gnome)

Speaking of Wendell, I think he's long overdue for a re-appearance in the WAN show.  It's been almost a year and a half already.  So @Slick , if you still need a guest for this week, give him a call.

Nice copypasta, as if I don't read that a thousand times per day on /g/ already. 

I've been running Windows for the last... 4 ish years, since that is what is "required" by my college that we use, so whatever. Previous to that, I ran linux (ubuntu stopped being good after 10.10, stop trying canonical I don't want your garbage anymore) and granted it was on a machine that originally ran XP, the experience was very hit or miss.

Office alternatives sucked (and still do, honestly, I didn't realise how much I miss MS Office until I could run it fine again), Wine sucks, and back then virtualization wasn't an option for me so most of the stuff just sucked. There were a few games that ran alright, so I had that going for me, which was nice.

I still work with linux machines every day. Smartphones, servers, embedded devices, you name it - it probably runs linux. But it's not the future, at least not for the desktop. 99% of people want something that "Just Works™" and that is why Mac and Windows are so popular. Software compatibility is huge, too. The place I'm working now runs software that only exists in Windows, and believe me when I tell you that virtualizing windows to use the software doesn't cut it, we've been doing that on some of the machines and it's an atrocious experience. 

Gaming will probably never be mainstream in linux, simply because windows dominates the market already. Developers could only get everyone to game on linux if they all decided at once that they were going to put their games on linux, and even then you need to sometimes recompile it for different distributions. 

Regular people couldn't care less about ricing their desktop, they don't want to have to fix an issue by fumbling with a package manager, they don't care about all the "features" of linux, they just want to use their computer to get work done, and at the end of the day, Windows really is king. 

Linux servers on the other hand, are mostly great. If you are starting a small business and you set out to use linux servers and desktops from the get-go, you'll have a great time. IIS is crap, and while apache and other alternatives can run on windows, they run a million times better on linux. Samba can interface with Active Directory (poorly, if you're using the newest versions, but that is an issue with a change that Microsoft made that they don't want to work with so they just don't support it) but if you set out to use all linux servers, that won't really matter to you. 

A situation that you'll see all the time (especially if you're running a media server, like in my example) is distro compatibility. I run an old laptop with crunchbang on it, and I have Plex installed. Now, Plex is officially supported for... I think Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS and freeBSD. Fantastic, if you're running one of those. Otherwise, you can try to download the binaries for the closest-to-yours distro and hope that dpkg or similar will install it with no trouble, or you can see if some third party made a repository for your operating system that you can add, and hope that they haven't done anything malicious to the packages. Or, in the case of open sores software, you can compile from source. Nobody (read: anyone who isn't a neckbeard) wants to compile from source every time that want to install or update their technically unsupported software. 

With a lot of Windows software, I can say "download this version of .net framework" or "install these c++ redistributables" and most of the software will run on any version, whereas with linux it's "sorry, the developer doesn't support your platform"

tl;dr: Linux is the future.. just not for the desktop. You're not limiting yourself by not learning it. Go dick around with a linux server and have fun, go buy a raspberry pi, do whatever. But Windows is King, Mac OS X is the princess, and linux desktops are basically the love child of the blacksmith and the court jester. 

• 9 months later...

Why learn Linux? Because, quite simply, it is the future.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBRTLsCNXs

I truly believe that Linus and Slick, being sources of knowledge for many in the tech/PC community, should feel not only obligated but that they owe it to them selves and to their audience to start learning Linux. Ignorance will only hold back what is to come. I know LMG is a busy crew and I don't think they're being intentionally ignorant, but rather I don't think they realize the scope and potential of what they're ignoring.

Regardless, the more of us (the members of the community) delve into the world of Linux, the better it will get. :)

Thus, I'll keep on advocating for Linux. Check out the video from Wendell from TekSyndicate. This is just the beginning of a whole video series (they've devoted a YT channel specifically for it) on Linux. He'll be exploring the ins and outs, how to install, what you can do with it, how to diagnose and fix problems, and much more. 

Linus won't do anything major with Linux, he is a Windows boy at heart, adding to that as you said hes very busy, as you know Linux can take ages to get a workflow going, and his entire company runs Windows/BSD so adding Linux into it could complicate matters, I expect he has played with Linux though.

Problem with Tek Syndicates Linux channel is there isn't enough content, while I love Wendell on Linux there content isn't enough, same for their enterprise, I was really looking forward to learning drive recovery etc but never seemed to happen.

But other than that the content Tek Syndicate has on Linux already is good, and as we both know their Linux community is rather knowledgable.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

LTT has never really been about software much, aside from a few videos on things that are pretty much plug and play anyway. If you think about it none of them actually have a cultural background that allows them to comfortably talk about operating systems, software and programming at an advanced level like Wendell can. They would need to hire a person specifically for the linux videos, and I don't know if the views would justify that. Of course it's not all about view count, but deliberately going out of their way to add content they aren't too interested in and that wouldn't make them money seems like a bit of a stretch to me. But hey, once I finish my software engineering studies I might propose myself ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Number of distros make something better? I don't think so :P

All of those OSs have their pros and cons, Linux and Windows included. 

I can see the logic in this statement but you have to look at it from a dev standpoint. Teams working on distros learn from eachothers mistakes and advances. Yes, you are only really using one distro at a time, but a large number being available does allow for better OS development.

Linux has no compatability with anything I play. And, I'm used to Windows and I don't need to learn a new OS