i5 2500k performance vs 7700k

Go to solution Solved by IP man,

Found this Gigabyte board for less than Asrock: It seems a good board, even has triple sli/ crossfire support. Any good for overclocking?:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-Z87X-SLI-Motherboard-Multi-GPU-DualBIOS/dp/B00H4535Q0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425216099&sr=8-1&keywords=Gigabyte+z87

needs to be z97 if you want oc. if not that would work yes.

Edit -oops that wont work. you need to use LGA 1155 socket with i5 2500k

Ok so I have seen a deal for an i5 2500k @ £130  (used and in good condition). Will this processor be any better than my current one (7700k) and will it make a difference in performance etc. And could I overclock it with decent temps ? (currently a Be Quiet! shadowrock slim). Will this bottleneck high end graphics card like the r9 290 or 780ti. here is the link:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004FA8NX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425215380&sr=8-1&keywords=i5+2500k

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Motherboard: z97 asus deluxe, Memory: 8gb Kingston hyperx blue, Graphics card: Evga gtx 750ti ftw, Storage: 1TB WD BLUE mass storage, Crucial 120gb ssd (boot drive win 8.1), PSUCorsair cx750w fully wired, Displays: ben Q  2 ms gtg  , Cpu coolerBe quiet! shadow-rock slim, Peripherals: Ducky shine 3, Corsair m65 gaming mouse, SoundHyper x cloud Headphones, OS: Windows 8.1

i5

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

i5 hands down.

Could I keep this proccesor running my system smoothly for the next couple of years with it ? specs are below: 

Cpu: i7 4790k @ 4ghz, Motherboard: z97 asus deluxe, Memory: 8gb Kingston hyperx blue, Graphics card: Evga gtx 750ti ftw, Storage: 1TB WD BLUE mass storage, Crucial 120gb ssd (boot drive win 8.1), PSUCorsair cx750w fully wired, Displays: ben Q  2 ms gtg  , Cpu coolerBe quiet! shadow-rock slim, Peripherals: Ducky shine 3, Corsair m65 gaming mouse, SoundHyper x cloud Headphones, OS: Windows 8.1

i5 no question

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

i5 hands down.

Can you suggest a good motherboard which will accept the overclocking? 

Could I keep this proccesor running my system smoothly for the next couple of years with it ? specs are below: 

yes no problem. ;)

Can you suggest a good motherboard which will accept the overclocking? 

Budget?

Budget?

around £60 or £70 with option for dual sli/ crossfire 

Ok so I have seen a deal for an i5 2500k @ £130  (used and in good condition). Will this processor be any better than my current one (7700k) and will it make a difference in performance etc. And could I overclock it with decent temps ? (currently a Be Quiet! shadowrock slim). Will this bottleneck high end graphics card like the r9 290 or 780ti. here is the link:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybridge-i5-2500K-Quad-Core-Processor/dp/B004FA8NX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425215380&sr=8-1&keywords=i5+2500k

Thats a pretty bad price for that old cpu... might aswell get a i5 4460. I know it doesn't overclock but i wouldn't shell out that much for such an old cpu.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

It will be significantly better, yes. It won't bottleneck a high end card either, whereas the 7700k would. The price isn't great though if it was used.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Oh yes it will be much better. Haswells and Ivy Bridge mainly brought power consumption improvements, the actual performance improvements are about 15%. Sandy Bridge can be overclocked higher than newer chips and your cooler is quite good so in combination with a good motherboard (Sandy Bridge doesn't have VRM componentry on-die so you'll need a fairly good board) you can expect good clocks. Clock for clock Sandy Bridge is 1.5+ times as fast as AMD's architecture.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

around £60 or £70 with option for dual sli/ crossfire 

Look at the Asrock brand.

Thats a pretty bad price for that old cpu... might aswell get a i5 4460. I know it doesn't overclock but i wouldn't shell out that much for such an old cpu.

4460 is to slow @ 3 ghz. most games and editing software ideally needs 3.5 Ghz +. my proccesor is clocked at 4ghz but any slower than 3.7 and it starts to feel slow 

Look at the Asrock brand.

Found this Gigabyte board for less than Asrock: It seems a good board, even has triple sli/ crossfire support. Any good for overclocking?:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-GA-Z87X-SLI-Motherboard-Multi-GPU-DualBIOS/dp/B00H4535Q0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425216099&sr=8-1&keywords=Gigabyte+z87

Oh yeah  forgot it was on 1155. so z97 for overclocking right? 

4460 is to slow @ 3 ghz. most games and editing software ideally needs 3.5 Ghz +. my proccesor is clocked at 4ghz but any slower than 3.7 and it starts to feel slow 

You can set it to always turbo to 3.4 GHz, which would be equivalent to a APU at about 6 GHz. It's plenty fast.

For sandy bridge you need a P67, Z68 or Z77 board.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

correct.

The 4460 goes to 3.4 Ghz. The clockrate has not much to do with performance in games since different CPUs have different IPC.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

You can set it to always turbo to 3.4 GHz, which would be equivalent to a APU at about 6 GHz. It's plenty fast.

For sandy bridge you need a P67, Z68 or Z77 board.

3.4 ghz is still slow though 

correct.

well thanks for you help 

No problem  ;)

meant "your" *derp* 

3.4 ghz is still slow though 

You clearly dont understand how CPU's work. :/ Ghz doesn't mean shit stop being so stubborn... A 4460 @ 3Ghz is still faster than your 7700K at 4.5Ghz or more.