Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix vs Ford Escape

EcoBoost

Two good deals locally that I can get for these. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT AWD (rebranded Toyota Matrix) or 2012 Ford Escape XLT 4WD. Which would you choose?

Few things to note:

-Pontiac is cheaper by $2k

-Escape has slight edge in power, but power isn't a huge concern for me

-Fuel economy is about the same, slight edge to the Ford but only by 1mpg

-Somewhat prefer the gold over silver

-Both are quite loaded with power everything and sunroof. Escape has a better speaker system, USB, Bluetooth, Microsoft Sync and interior lights (fancy)

-Escape has 100k miles on it (highway mileage) while Vibe has 45k miles (however city miles)

Not actual pics of the cars themselves but they look just like the ones that I'm interested in

Pontiac Vibe

33156584233_large.jpg

2009_pontiac_vibe_4dr-hatchback_gt_d_oem

Ford Escape

2012_ford_escape_4wd_4dr_limited_gold_le

6854788786_8965c54ff0_z.jpg

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

If you need a lot of cargo space I'd go with the Escape.

It also has more audio options (Stealthboxes by JL) if you're into that kind of thing.

I, personally, like the higher up driving position an SUV provides. So it gets my vote.

Do they really only get 1mpg difference?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Can you find an older Matrix XR?

I'd take the Vibe from the two.Probably a better drive and better aesthetically. 

System: Thinkpad T460

Buy the Toyota, lets face it. It is a Toyota :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Two good deals locally that I can get for these. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT AWD (rebranded Toyota Matrix) or 2012 Ford Escape XLT 4WD. Which would you choose?

Few things to note:

-Escape has slight edge in power, but power isn't a huge concern for me

-Fuel economy is about the same, slight edge to the Ford but only by 1mpg

-Somewhat prefer the gold over silver

-Both are quite loaded with power everything and sunroof. Escape has a better speaker system, USB, Bluetooth, Microsoft Sync and interior lights (fancy)

-Escape has 100k miles on it (highway mileage) while Vibe has 45k miles (however city miles)

Not actual pics of the cars themselves but they look the same

If you lived here I'd say the escape for sure we get a lot of snow and the extra ground clearance would be nice.  The Extra Cargo space would be nice as well.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

The Ford will be more fun overall. You can go more places and carry more on the way. It'll do better in those winter snowfalls too.The Ford is also much newer (2012 vs 2009) so you should be able to get more life out of it.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

If you need a lot of cargo space I'd go with the Escape.

It also has more audio options (Stealthboxes by JL) if you're into that kind of thing.

I, personally, like the higher up driving position an SUV provides. So it gets my vote.

Do they really only get 1mpg difference?

I don't need that much cargo space :P The Escape has the Audiophile stereo (by Boston Acoustic apparently) which is plenty for me with 8 speakers and an 8" sub. The Vibe's stereo I may have to upgrade though. 

And yep the Escape gets 20mpg city 27mpg highway while the Vibe (AWD) gets 20/26.

Can you find an older Matrix XR?

Not that fond of the older Matrix body shape

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are actually the same vehicle, the Vibe is a rebrand of the Matrix. 

I would get the matrix, but thats my opinion.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix are actually the same vehicle, the Vibe is a rebrand of the Matrix. 

I would get the matrix, but thats my opinion.

I know, read the first sentence of the first post :P

The Matrix is noticeably more expensive around here, presumably for the brand name, it also looks slightly nicer. However I'm not looking to spend a few grand more just for a badge and slight aesthetics.

Experience taught me to not buy anything made by Toyota, even my friend that owns two Toyota cars (Yaris and Rav) went away from the brand due to poor quality and expensive parts, he went with VW group cars and has never been happier. On the other hand my Ford Fiesta has been a dream to drive, maintain and insanely high MPG. It's your choice, but I'd go with the Ford. Take a close look at maintenance costs and costs over time. :)

I picked the vibe simply because of the look of the car, and that it has 45k miles on it.

Having bought two used cars before, the mileage on a used car is very important. At 45k miles you still have a large chunk of miles left on it, and to you it should still have that new car feel to it. 100k miles is kinda over the hill. I would expect a higher cost to own on the ford vs the vibe.

I picked the vibe simply because of the look of the car, and that it has 45k miles on it.

Having bought two used cars before, the mileage on a used car is very important. At 45k miles you still have a large chunk of miles left on it, and to you it should still have that new car feel to it. 100k miles is kinda over the hill. I would expect a higher cost to own on the ford vs the vibe.

100 000 miles for such a car is nothing! I have owned several cars that I ended up selling on >160 000 miles that were in perfect condition, it depends on the person that maintains the vehicle, if you service it often, use high quality oil the car will be in perfect condition. The current family city car is a Ford Fiesta, it has a 1.4L engine with 155 000 miles on it. It is in perfect condition, runs like a dream. So in grand total, it depends if the car has been maintained well.

I've only ever bought high mileage cars, and I've had no problem with them. Cause I feel that 100k miles of highway driving compared to 45k miles of stop-and-go city driving can actually put similar amounts of wear on a car (also largely depends on how you drive them and maintain them)

As far as I'm concerned cost to own wouldn't be too much different. Parts must be easy to find for the Ford as they are literally everywhere around here. Pretty much every block and parking lot has at least one.

I don't need that much cargo space :P The Escape has the Audiophile stereo (by Boston Acoustic apparently) which is plenty for me with 8 speakers and an 8" sub. The Vibe's stereo I may have to upgrade though. 

And yep the Escape gets 20mpg city 27mpg highway while the Vibe (AWD) gets 20/26.

Not that fond of the older Matrix body shape

You say that now, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it ;)

No speaker system short of say a Burmeister that comes with an automobile is audiophile grade. They're decent but even mid range aftermarket stuff is miles better.

What has you wanting either vehicle? Maybe list the pros and cons you have for each and we can tear it apart ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have an Esacpe, two of them actually, a 2008 (192K Miles) and a 2012 (98K Miles). Both are amazing. I would highly recommend, just to let you know the AWD 3.0 V6 gets like 20< MPG so careful there. 

Toyota, how is this even a question.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You say that now, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it ;)

No speaker system short of say a Burmeister that comes with an automobile is audiophile grade. They're decent but even mid range aftermarket stuff is miles better.

What has you wanting either vehicle? Maybe list the pros and cons you have for each and we can tear it apart ;)

lol, afaik "Audiophile" is the brand/name that Ford has for the stereo, not that it's audiophile grade :P 

Pontiac:

-Cheaper

-It's still a Toyota

-Looks nicer and "sportier"

-Less "mainstream" (at least vs Matrix/Escape)

-Nicer color

-Lower mileage

Ford:

-Newer

-Higher seating position, likely more comfortable to sit in and drive

-Slightly more features

-Classy interior

-Better stereo

-Better transmission (6 speed auto)

Power and fuel economy are debatable and likely a difference won't be noticed between the two so leaving those out. 

Also keep in mind the engine in the Escape is actually made by Mazda.

I have an Esacpe, two of them actually, a 2008 (192K Miles) and a 2012 (98K Miles). Both are amazing. I would highly recommend, just to let you know the AWD 3.0 V6 gets like 20< MPG so careful there. 

One I'm looking at is the 2.5L :)

One I'm looking at is the 2.5L :)

That should have much better MPG, my 2012 has a small 12 Gallon tank so we have to fill it up at least once a week :P

Neither of them look amazing but the Ford interior looks surgical and extra boring to me.

System: Thinkpad T460

lol, afaik "Audiophile" is the brand/name that Ford has for the stereo, not that it's audiophile grade :P

Pontiac:

-Cheaper

-It's still a Toyota

-Looks nicer and "sportier"

-Less "mainstream" (at least vs Matrix/Escape)

-Nicer color

-Lower mileage

Ford:

-Newer

-Higher seating position, likely more comfortable to sit in and drive

-Slightly more features

-Classy interior

-Better stereo

-Better transmission (6 speed auto)

Power and fuel economy are debatable and likely a difference won't be noticed between the two so leaving those out. 

Also keep in mind the engine in the Escape is actually made by Mazda.

Yeah, Ford uses other manufacturers engines sometimes. The 1.4L in my Fiesta is from Peugeot. I've only had good experiences with Ford cars (Current Fiesta and Connect Van and a Mondeo I sold).

I also prefer higher seating position when available,  in terms of safety, an SUV might be much safer, just saying. :)

I'm pretty sure the Vibe has the same engine as the Matrix, which has the same as the Corolla, a 1.8 I4. So I don't get how it's only a 1mpg difference since the Matrix gets 28/35. 

Here's a question you should try to answer, or two.

1) Which one is more practical?

2) Which one would look least embarrassing in?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I'm pretty sure the Vibe has the same engine as the Matrix, which has the same as the Corolla, a 1.8 I4. So I don't get how it's only a 1mpg difference since the Matrix gets 28/35. 

From what I can tell the AWD is only available in the 2.4L, so 20/26.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2009_Pontiac_Vibe.shtml

Same with the Matrix.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2009_Toyota_Matrix.shtml

@EcoBoost tough choice actually, either one is good but I guess the extra money for the Escape would be put towards it being a newer car, having more features, and overall being bigger. Would come down to personal preference really, take both for a test drive and see how you feel about them

"Rawr XD"

Thanks everyone! Wow, looks like it's a tie. I'll go take a look at both of them and see how I feel then, thanks again! :)