Another 780 for SLI or Upgrade to 980!?

thedawnarts

Just debating whether I just get another GTX 780 off of ebay to SLI or upgrade to a 980? What would be better?

Thanks as always!

Tyler

Just debating whether I just get another GTX 780 off of ebay to SLI or upgrade to a 980? What would be better?

Thanks as always!

Tyler

the 780 is still a solid card, even better in SLI. I would get it.

If it were me, I'd get a 980 and sell the 780.

Id Wait a few months for a possible 980ti Im hoping

i dont think there will be a 980ti

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

Yea was thinking about that too!

the most cost efficient option is to go SLI, But if you want to be Top Of The Line you wold have to go 980.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

The 980's only marginally better than a 780 in terms of performance so SLI will give you the better of the two and the 780's likely to be cheaper if you can get one on sale.... BUT   As a 780 SLI owner I can tell you now, SLI does have some downsides. Some games wont play nicely with it or just wont use the second card at all without extra configuration and fighting around in settings. Plus it will require a beefy PSU as people have mentioned above. Oh and your temperatures will get high if you dont have a well ventilated rig!

It sure does look cooler than having one card though imo  :P

The 980's only marginally better than a 780 in terms of performance so SLI will give you the better of the two and the 780's likely to be cheaper if you can get one on sale.... BUT   As a 780 SLI owner I can tell you now, SLI does have some downsides. Some games wont play nicely with it or just wont use the second card at all without extra configuration and fighting around in settings. Plus it will require a beefy PSU as people have mentioned above. Oh and your temperatures will get high if you dont have a well ventilated rig!

It sure does look cooler than having one card though imo  :P

Thanks for the info! I have Coolermaster V750w Gold psu, should be good right?

It should be fine. Under load 2 780's in sli draw about 642 watts full load. http://anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-ti-review/15

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

It should be fine. Under load 2 780's in sli draw about 642 watts full load. http://anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-ti-review/15

Yea, I ran the 780's with an RM750 psu (750watts) and everything was perfectly fine even when I stressed out both gpus in furmark for a good few hours to check everything was ok. During 100's of hours of gameplay it was great too. I moved to a 1000W psu later as it was given to me as a present. 750W will be just fine though :)  

What's your CPU tho? The high end ones can vary from 85W to 220W

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

I am driving 780 SLI with 3820 i7 (130W TDP) without a problem on Seasonic 760W Platinum.