Is it worth investing in an after market CPU cooler?

Go to solution Solved by RazrLeaf,

I have an ASUS Sabertooth x58 and an Intel® Core i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz and at the moment I have a stock cooling fan on it. I do not know whether I should get a heatsink and fan or stick with the one I have. My first upgrade is going to be Corsair Vengeance DDR3 12GB Ram so it would also have to fit with that there... I don't know how much that might affect it. But yeah... should I invest in something like that or stick with what I have? If I should invest in it any recommendations? 

1. You should definitely invest in a better CPU cooling solution
  2. You should probably avoid the Noctua NH-D15 that others are suggesting (sorry everyone) if you want tall RAM (like Corsair Vengeance). You will more be put in a sub-optimal situation where you have to raise one of the 2 fans to the point it doesn't fit your case, have to put it on the rear side pulling air through the heat sink, or ditching it altogether.
  3. If you want tall RAM, you'll either need a single tower heat sink, an offset heat sink, or a liquid cooling solution. I suggest the Scythe Kotetsu. It's $40 and performs amazingly well. I'll link SPCR's review of it where the test it on their LGA 1366 test platform here.

Hello! 

I am making some upgrades to my computer in the near future and I had some questions about CPU cooling. I have an ASUS Sabertooth x58 and an Intel® Core i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz and at the moment I have a stock cooling fan on it. I do not know whether I should get a heatsink and fan or stick with the one I have. My first upgrade is going to be Corsair Vengeance DDR3 12GB Ram so it would also have to fit with that there... I don't know how much that might affect it. But yeah... should I invest in something like that or stick with what I have? If I should invest in it any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Nick 

I have no time to research, but if that cpu or motherboard can't overclock, there's no reason to upgrade cooling UNLESS you are currently having heat issues maybe due to location.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Something cheap from Coolermaster, like a hyper 212, can help you gain a few degrees and won't cost you much. But if your temps are ok now, than no real need.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Hello! 

I am making some upgrades to my computer in the near future and I had some questions about CPU cooling. I have an ASUS Sabertooth x58 and an Intel® Core i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz and at the moment I have a stock cooling fan on it. I do not know whether I should get a heatsink and fan or stick with the one I have. My first upgrade is going to be Corsair Vengeance DDR3 12GB Ram so it would also have to fit with that there... I don't know how much that might affect it. But yeah... should I invest in something like that or stick with what I have? If I should invest in it any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Nick 

Yes it is worth it.

Noctua coolers are about as good as an AIO Liquid Cooler for about the same price, but less to worry about... so I recommend something like the NH-D15

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I would go for a water cooler. More quiet, and able to overclock in the future. For a cheap one, check out the NZXT Kraken X31- about 50 dollars. If you want to go all out, check out the Corsair H100i. It is about 110 dollars.

If you are overclocking, go after market

If you are not overclocking, use the money elsewhere

With a modern locked CPU, no, stock coolers are fine for stock clock speeds.

However your CPU is special. It is overclockable by a lot, it puts out a lot of heat, and the stock cooler is already insufficient (which is why enthusiast grade CPUs no longer come with a stock cooler). So it's definitely in your best interest to get an aftermarket cooler, and then overclock.

If you're planning on overclocking (which I don't really recommend unless you just want to for the sake of it) then definitely. Otherwise, you should be okay with the stock cooler.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Upgrading a stock CPU cooler to an aftermarket one is, in my opinion, one of the best upgrades you can do.

My baby| CPU: Core i5-4690K  |  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  |  CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus |   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | GPU: MSI R9 390  |  RAM: 16 GB - G.Skill Ripjaws X |

We brawlers are sustained by willpower, even if mocked as reckless and crazy! - Kamina

If you want a quieter pc than yes, get a coolermaster hyper 212. They can be had for $20-$30. It's a very noticeable difference in noise compared to the stock cooler.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

Yes it is worth it.

Noctua coolers are about as good as an AIO Liquid Cooler for about the same price, but less to worry about... so I recommend something like the NH-D15

There is another reason why one should go for the NH-D15

Mounting. the Core i7 980 sits on a 1366 socket

And as long as you prove to noctua that you have both the motherboard and the cooler, they will send you free mounting hardware.

There is another reason why one should go for the NH-D15

Mounting. the Core i7 980 sits on a 1366 socket

And as long as you prove to noctua that you have both the motherboard and the cooler, they will send you free mounting hardware.

Noctua is the exception, not the rule. I'm pretty sure they're the only ones who do this.

Air, if done right, can be as effective as liquid, without the hassles. It may run a tad bit warmer than a custom loop, but at a MUCH lower price too.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Noctua is the exception, not the rule. I'm pretty sure they're the only ones who do this.

Air, if done right, can be as effective as liquid, without the hassles. It may run a tad bit warmer than a custom loop, but at a MUCH lower price too.

Absolutely. 

Before upgrading I wanted to get the NH-D15 on my Socket 775 board, that's why I knew, that Noctua sends out old and obsolete mounting hardware

That's pretty awesome of Noctua and why I like em! They should start getting into CPU waterblocks!

Temps compared to a custom loop are insane, sure a custom loop will get lower temps but possibly at $1000+ if you include motherboard, ram, gpu, and cpu + all the fittings!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

That's pretty awesome of Noctua and why I like em! They should start getting into CPU waterblocks!

Temps compared to a custom loop are insane, sure a custom loop will get lower temps but possibly at $1000+ if you include motherboard, ram, gpu, and cpu + all the fittings!

On x99 you're talking a lot more than $1,000 lol. My CPU and Mobo alone are over $950 for a 5930k... so them having good radiators is great.

On x99 you're talking a lot more than $1,000 lol. My CPU and Mobo alone are over $950 for a 5930k... so them having good radiators is great.

I was just talking about the loop not the mobo + cpu price included, I'm over $2000 as I had to rebuy a mobo since my evil cat is well evil and fluffy!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I was just talking about the loop not the mobo + cpu price included, I'm over $2000 as I had to rebuy a mobo since my evil cat is well evil and fluffy!

That sounds like a story!

Anyway, Rokzul, Air cooling may not be the coldest, but if you want a very reliable, easy setup, a good air setup will do well for you :)

I have no time to research, but if that cpu or motherboard can't overclock, there's no reason to upgrade cooling UNLESS you are currently having heat issues maybe due to location.

Yes they can. Even the non 980X could OC a bit.

And suggesting that the X58 Sabertooth not being able to OC a chip is just silly. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I have an ASUS Sabertooth x58 and an Intel® Core i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz and at the moment I have a stock cooling fan on it. I do not know whether I should get a heatsink and fan or stick with the one I have. My first upgrade is going to be Corsair Vengeance DDR3 12GB Ram so it would also have to fit with that there... I don't know how much that might affect it. But yeah... should I invest in something like that or stick with what I have? If I should invest in it any recommendations? 

2. You should probably avoid the Noctua NH-D15 that others are suggesting (sorry everyone) if you want tall RAM (like Corsair Vengeance). You will more be put in a sub-optimal situation where you have to raise one of the 2 fans to the point it doesn't fit your case, have to put it on the rear side pulling air through the heat sink, or ditching it altogether.
  3. If you want tall RAM, you'll either need a single tower heat sink, an offset heat sink, or a liquid cooling solution. I suggest the Scythe Kotetsu. It's $40 and performs amazingly well. I'll link SPCR's review of it where the test it on their LGA 1366 test platform here.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

Just to dip in here. I've bought my two previous CPUs tray packed. For some reason paying €15-20 for stock cooler isn't that good deal. So I've gone for 2 Noctuas instead. Bit more expensive but I've been happy with them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would go for a water cooler. More quiet, and able to overclock in the future. For a cheap one, check out the NZXT Kraken X31- about 50 dollars. If you want to go all out, check out the Corsair H100i. It is about 110 dollars.

AIOs are louder than something like a noctua offering

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Anything pre LGA 1155/2011 can overclock by way of boosting the base clock.

That's why LGA 1366 xeons are so nice. They're cheap and you can overclock the balls off them, even though they're locked

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I definitely don't want an sub-optimal situation... I was thinking of going with the vengeance because corsair is a good brand and it fit all the specifications ... DDR3 triple channel 3x4gb, 1600MHz but yeah any suggestions to get the best situation for both RAM and cpu cooling fan.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I am looking over them all rn

- Nick