Is it worth investing in an after market CPU cooler?

Go to solution Solved by RazrLeaf,

I have an ASUS Sabertooth x58 and an Intel® Core i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz and at the moment I have a stock cooling fan on it. I do not know whether I should get a heatsink and fan or stick with the one I have. My first upgrade is going to be Corsair Vengeance DDR3 12GB Ram so it would also have to fit with that there... I don't know how much that might affect it. But yeah... should I invest in something like that or stick with what I have? If I should invest in it any recommendations? 

1. You should definitely invest in a better CPU cooling solution
  2. You should probably avoid the Noctua NH-D15 that others are suggesting (sorry everyone) if you want tall RAM (like Corsair Vengeance). You will more be put in a sub-optimal situation where you have to raise one of the 2 fans to the point it doesn't fit your case, have to put it on the rear side pulling air through the heat sink, or ditching it altogether.
  3. If you want tall RAM, you'll either need a single tower heat sink, an offset heat sink, or a liquid cooling solution. I suggest the Scythe Kotetsu. It's $40 and performs amazingly well. I'll link SPCR's review of it where the test it on their LGA 1366 test platform here.

Do you care about silence? Then yes, upgrade. Do you want overclocking potential? Then yes, upgrade. Do you want your processor to last? Then yes, upgrade. Hyper 212 EVO is a great cheap choice, there are many other better options for more cash, just look around the forum.

"We are not defined by the lives we are forced to live, but by the choices we are free to make"