AMD Unveils Carrizo APU Details, Efficiency And Power Consumption Punctuate Performance

SeventhAnomaly

>Carrizo will still be built on a Global Foundaries 28nm process node, AMD has switched over to high density design libraries that will afford its CPU cores a 23 percent die area reduction and a claimed 40 percent power consumption reduction.

>Carrizo will be the first AMD APU to incorporate its Southbridge IO silicon block on-die; not just on-chip in an MCM (Multi-Chip Module) approach, but actual monolithic silicon integration at 28nm.

>AMD is also employing a new adaptive duty cycle and clock gating technology called “AVFS” (Adaptive Voltage and Frequency Scaling), similar to what Intel has done with Broadwell, that will also contribute to power consumption reductions across varying workloads.

>AMD didn’t offer much detail on GPU block advancements beyond H.265 support and faster video transcoding.

>If AMD can get Carrizo out soon there may be a window of opportunity before Intel’s next gen Skylake architecture arrives later this year, but they have to move swiftly.

Source : Forbes

Living in a parallel universe // PC Guy turns MAC.... 

Something ins't right...

kewl news

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Crazy to see 28nm die, yet Intel is researching 14nm. Not starting an AMD VS Intel thing, but it's interesting to see the difference in the manufacturers.

Crazy to see 28nm die, yet Intel is researching 14nm. Not starting an AMD VS Intel thing, but it's interesting to see the difference in the manufacturers.

That's because AMD had to sell it's foundries after intel screw them over.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

So, does AMD plan to release any more higher end chips I wonder?   28nm is a big process; I wonder if they'll shrink that any time soon.

Hmm. How big is the market for APU's? 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

So, does AMD plan to release any more higher end chips I wonder?   28nm is a big process; I wonder if they'll shrink that any time soon.

That would not be before zen arrives.

I doubt we would see carrizo on desktop.

You mean after AMD decided it was a good idea to buy ATI? Cause thats what happened. And AMD agreed to take 1.25 billion from Intel, didn't they? AMD screwed AMD over, no one else. 

Intel burns billions a year on R/D and it shows. Intel has burned more in mobile chip R/D than most companies will make in a year, they lose money, they keep investing in it. They're committed to playing the game properly. 

HUH?! You mean after AMD screwed itself over to buy out ATI above market price rather than merge with Nvidia (Ruiz didn't want to let Jen Sun Huang be CEO of the merged entity, though the merger was the preferred path and where AMD's GPU ventures began. ATI was the second favorite.).

Intel had nothing to do with AMD losing control of GloFo.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

AMD wanted to sell those fabs. It is only affordable to run your own foundries if you keep the production volume high.

Intel even sued because AMD wanted to outsource it.

Should be just give up on high end AMD CPU's because it's been awhile know.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I don't get the hype here around Carrizo, it's all about the 15W TDP thing which seems to be so 2012; http://www.chiploco.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Intel-10W-TDP-Ivy-Bridge-Processors_1.jpg

Should be just give up on high end AMD CPU's because it's been awhile know.

Well clock for clock they're 10 years behind Intel. Conroe has more IPC, two conroe quad cores on a dual socket board at 4.2GHz wipe the floor with a 8350 at 6GHz (will provide the proof if I need to).

Hmm. How big is the market for APU's? 

How big is it now? not very large, but if they increased the Igpu 23% this iteration from kaveri then well, we have some startling good apu's for the average consumer and many companies for non design employees. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Interesting to see the southbridge of all things, be integrated. What is the reasoning for doing that?

I love how Intel has the northbridge functions, integrated, so we have a motherboard chipset, instead of a north/southbridge combo. I would love to see, and als assume, that Zen will have this approach. I like AMD APU's, but the desktop motherboards, just looks like something from 2005.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Interesting to see the southbridge of all things, be integrated. What is the reasoning for doing that?

I love how Intel has the northbridge functions, integrated, so we have a motherboard chipset, instead of a north/southbridge combo. I would love to see, and als assume, that Zen will have this approach. I like AMD APU's, but the desktop motherboards, just looks like something from 2005.

Potentially to unify their APU and SoC platforms down the line :)

2005 boards had north and south bridges, so they certainly weren't empty :D

Regarding power consumption I am amazed by what actually AMD is capable to do on 28nm node. I am excited to see what will come when their 14nm chips will roll out.

Waiting for these little monsters to come out. AMD just needs to price them right to make a huge impact on the mobile market.

How big is it now? not very large, but if they increased the Igpu 23% this iteration from kaveri then well, we have some startling good apu's for the average consumer and many companies for non design employees. 

But are current integrated graphics ever really a limitation for non design employees? Not in my experience. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You mean after AMD decided it was a good idea to buy ATI? Cause thats what happened. And AMD agreed to take 1.25 billion from Intel, didn't they? AMD screwed AMD over, no one else. 

Intel burns billions a year on R/D and it shows. Intel has burned more in mobile chip R/D than most companies will make in a year, they lose money, they keep investing in it. They're committed to playing the game properly. 

HUH?! You mean after AMD screwed itself over to buy out ATI above market price rather than merge with Nvidia (Ruiz didn't want to let Jen Sun Huang be CEO of the merged entity, though the merger was the preferred path and where AMD's GPU ventures began. ATI was the second favorite.).

Intel had nothing to do with AMD losing control of GloFo.

AMD wanted to sell those fabs. It is only affordable to run your own foundries if you keep the production volume high.

Intel even sued because AMD wanted to outsource it.

AMD was miles ahead in the P4 days, but intel made deals with OEM's and crappy marketing and things like that so they still held a decent market share and eventually pushed AMD of the market. They never really recovered form that.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

AMD was miles ahead in the P4 days, but intel made deals with OEM's and crappy marketing and things like that so they still held a decent market share and eventually pushed AMD of the market. They never really recovered form that.

So...you're mad at Intel for playing the game better than AMD? Paying fines and STILL ending up on top? No one told AMD to burn billions on ATI and no one told AMD to stop investing in RD. 

Conroe, which destroyed AMD, has little to do with making deals with OEM's

Oh please, excuses. Intel barely held onto the 48% marketshare it had. AMD's troubles began with the ATI buyout and then compounded when they cut so many corners on Bulldozer.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Am I the only one who feel that many people these days value what die size processors are on over if it is even good in the first place? I know NAND flash and CPUs aren't directly comparable, but I'm happy that Samsung decided to scale their NAND up with the release of the 850 Pros.

Oh please, excuses. Intel barely held onto the 48% marketshare it had. AMD's troubles began with the ATI buyout and then compounded when they cut so many corners on Bulldozer.

Not to forget Intel threatening to pull their x86 license simply because they had faster hardware. Intel gets extremely unprofessional when shown up. To the point where they even had to fake P4 performance numbers which caught up to them and they got sued for after all this time.

Not to forget Intel threatening to pull their x86 license simply because they had faster hardware. Intel gets extremely unprofessional when shown up. To the point where they even had to fake P4 performance numbers which caught up to them and they got sued for after all this time.

When Otellini the cutthroat was in charge, to be fair.