Best products to block noise?

Cs342

I am in college and I have an extremely inconsiderate roommate who blasts music and plays bass 24/7. I have tried buying noise-cancelling headphones but they have absolutely no effect whatsoever since they can only block out constant droning sounds. Can you please recommend some products like earmuffs or industrial headphone equipment that I can buy for a cheap price that will block out most surrounding noise? Thanks!!

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

The product to block noise is to tell your roomate to shut the fuck up.

If that doesn't work, go to an RA.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

new roommate?

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

I am in college and I have an extremely inconsiderate roommate who blasts music and plays bass 24/7. I have tried buying noise-cancelling headphones but they have absolutely no effect whatsoever since they can only block out constant droning sounds. Can you please recommend some products like earmuffs or industrial headphone equipment that I can buy for a cheap price that will block out most surrounding noise? Thanks!!

Time to fight sound with more sound! If it's a dorm just report a noise complaint.

That really sucks to have a roommate like that but yeah try to talk about it I guess, but if you really must go that route stuff like this will work, let it be on the very extreme side of things.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Professional-Black-Hearing-Protector-90561-4DC/202670479?N=5yc1vZc22t

Do you want to still hear everything, just at a lower loudness, or you want to be 'cut off' from the world?

For the first, try something like this: http://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/products/music/

For the second, I'd imagine these kind are the best: http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-diy-ear-plugs.html

What happens if you tell your roommate not to be a goddamn dick?

That guy might actually pull out his dick, which I imagine might not be a good thing....

A knife will stop his speakers from making sound pretty quick... but maybe just cut the cable instead? Dont do any of that, but I'd fight sound with sound TBH.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

lol guys i'm a CS major so i have no time to pull any of these pranks haha... i would if i could but i honesty just want to study in peace so i'm gonna go for some headphones or earmuffs

lol guys i'm a CS major so i have no time to pull any of these pranks haha... i would if i could but i honesty just want to study in peace so i'm gonna go for some headphones or earmuffs

Asking someone not to be a fuckwit isn't a prank.

You don't have to phrase it that way, obviously.

I believe what you are looking for is referred to as "hearing protection"

in English :P

something like this:

post-955-0-67183900-1424764069.png

Or you could buy piles of foam earplugs if you can find some that 

actually doesn't just slide out of your ears. 

post-955-0-12028300-1424764125.png

This wont eliminate the noise, but it will dampen it.

I worked at a factory for 2 years and was stuck with this crap for

8+1/2 hour a day - breaks, and believe me when i say i will NOT

go back to it if i can help it. it's uncomfortable and annoying, the 

earcups clamp too hard, gets warm and nasty, it's heavy. These

are not made for comfort unlike many headphones. Just tell your

roommate to screw off or report it. 

Well theres two solutions to your problem that don't involve money or pranks.  One is go study in the library and resign yourself to the fact that this idiot blasts music all the time, the other is tell him to not be a dick roommate.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

As someone with a roommate who is often loud and has a weird sleep schedule I have experienced a similar situation. It was awkward (but only because I thought it was) but just tell him to turn it down, if it still happens too often or they ignore your requests, you can always lodge a complaint with your residence association. It's probably against policy to have loud noise/music playing at certain hours in the dorm anyway. What ever you do you floor/house mates will probably be thankful too!

Best of luck!

(Others have said you can get earplugs/muffs, that's what I did. Here are some cheap, reusable earplugs)

Well theres two solutions to your problem that don't involve money or pranks.  One is go study in the library and resign yourself to the fact that this idiot blasts music all the time, the other is tell him to not be a dick roommate.

Everyone in my suite has told him (we have a suite with 4 rooms of 2 people each) but to no avail. If you have are going to be attending college soon I would strongly advise against rooming with music majors. Reassign once you find out. The only option for me is hearing protection I guess

Time to fight sound with more sound! If it's a dorm just report a noise complaint.

That really sucks to have a roommate like that but yeah try to talk about it I guess, but if you really must go that route stuff like this will work, let it be on the very extreme side of things.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Professional-Black-Hearing-Protector-90561-4DC/202670479?N=5yc1vZc22t

I've tried those home depot ones and they work hella well tho. Literally block out almost all sound but idk how they will fit you or if it will hurt your head but they fitted me just fine but I have a kind of small head. But, they do isolate like crazy.

Do you want to still hear everything, just at a lower loudness, or you want to be 'cut off' from the world?

For the first, try something like this: http://www.nonoise-earplugs.com/en/products/music/

For the second, I'd imagine these kind are the best: http://www.earplugstore.com/custom-diy-ear-plugs.html

For the first ones you posted, I have something like those but those are for musicians. They are only designed to block out super high and loud frequencies but they won't drown out sound enough for blasting music as they are also designed so that you can hear someone speaking to your during a music rehearsal and for you to hear the other instrument parts so you can adjust how loud you play. Yes, they are good for playing something like the drums so your ears won't be damaged or hurt from your ears ringing but they won't block out blasting music as well as you probably would like. I also use a similar product http://www.amazon.com/LiveMus-HearSafe-Ear-Plugs-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00H2F87I8/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1424829621&sr=1-1&keywords=live+music+ear+plugswhich like I said may not silence extremely loud noises.

But the second ones you listed might work idk.

Edit:These is another one I saw beside the other 3M ones linked in the Home Depot link as they seem to be a newer rendition of my second link in the edit. Yes, although they may look big on you, they will get the job done which is what you probably want most since I don't think you would be lugging them around in the campus and since you asked for them to be used in your dorm room.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-Series-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=zg_bs_553558_10#customerReviews

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-H10A-Optime-Earmuff/dp/B00009LI4K/ref=zg_bs_553558_5#customerReviews

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-Series-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ/ref=zg_bs_553558_10#customerReviews

Everyone in my suite has told him (we have a suite with 4 rooms of 2 people each) but to no avail. If you have are going to be attending college soon I would strongly advise against rooming with music majors. Reassign once you find out. The only option for me is hearing protection I guess

Did your college do like a roommate contract or something? That's what our school does. People can get kicked out of the dorm for violating it enough times. Report it to your RA. 

lol not all music majors are dicks. He should be using designated practice rooms.

lol not all music majors are dicks. He should be using designated practice rooms.

As a music major myself I can confirm that this guy is not representative of all music majors. He's just being an obstinant jerk. Report him to the residence association. Most places will enforce their rules very strictly once they are notified of an infration regardless if whether you are in a suite or not. If he is acctually in the school of music he will have access to the practice rooms, he has no excuse.

report it, to have to use industrial headphones just so you don't have to hear your obnoxious roommate is ridiculous 

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750