Pascal Performance Predictions (GTX 1000)

ZuluSamus

I read a little bit about Pascal Micro-architecture and how it's going to quadruple the efficiency and performance of the current generation of Maxwell GPUs.

How do you think it's going to stack up against it's AMD counter-part?

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 780 (x2, SLI) CPU: i7 5820k Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 Mobo RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB SSD: Samsung EVO 840

HDD: WD Green 3TB Cooler: Corsair H100i

it will definitely be quieter, run cooler, and more energy efficient than anything AMD makes...

quadruple performance seems extremely unlikely, its just a dumb rumour

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think it's going to run cooler, consume less energy and perform better.

But hey, they always strive for that.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not sure, they want to bring this new NV link port in to replace PCI-E, with increased bandwith and access to system ram as well as the system accessing GPU ram I think. We've got a bit to go before pascal comes out, but I think they're going to have to use PCI-E because it doesn't seem like either intel or AMD are going to support it with their CPU lines.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Take a 980 and make it use under 100W even at 1600 core. Will be amazing 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

it's going to quadruple the efficiency and performance of the current generation of Maxwell GPUs.

If that's true it looks like I'll be upgrading soon. 

It is for a reason why Pascal magically appeared between Maxwell and Volta.

OldRoadmap.jpg

Recall other items with others and Nvidia when products appears out of thin air between what is projected.

Improvement and shrink of Maxwell. Full Direct3D 12_0 feature level support. All the latest fancy stacked memory, UMA (which is more of a convenience thing for developers). Their NVLINK looks rather very interesting.

In fact, its too interesting. Especially since you will need a CPU that supports it, or otherwise its just a more advanced SLI bridge that has enough bandwith to finally allow stacked VRAM mode instead of mirror mode. Which begs the question - will AMD want to implement it on their CPUs? Will Intel want to pay royalty fees? Or maybe, nVidia planning to enter the x86 CPU market? Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

• 4 months later...

It is for a reason why Pascal magically appeared between Maxwell and Volta.

OldRoadmap.jpg

Recall other items with others and Nvidia when products appears out of thin air between what is projected.

actually, volta is indeed pascal.

Im hoping for 50% increase performance on the 1080 Ti and Titan Y. In other words  1080 Ti will have roughly the same performance as 2 980 Tis in SLI depending on SLI utilization. 

As for AMD, they have 1 year to come out with a new architecture or they will fall behind hard. 

actually, volta is indeed pascal.

Actually no. After new information, Pascal is Maxwell revision 2 which due to delays of switching to a smaller manufacturing process, Nvidia decided to continue to work on it meanwhile, instead of turning their thumbs while the actual chip manufacture figures out the issues. So new features are being implemented and things are changed to improve performance and bug fixes are made. Basically, it turned out to be a new model based on a Maxwell architecture, and not just what it was initially planed: Maxwell with a die shrink, maybe a tweak here and there to make it a bit faster, and have bug fixes.

We know it will have HBM technology but no mention if it will be version 1 (4GB limit, like AMD Fury X) or version 2.

And please don't revive old threads for next time :)

I want AMD to succeed but my 280X isn't shining with quality(just google "280X problems") and the performance per dollar isn't good enough to justify the power, heat and noise.

I personally have no problem with high TDP ( raider 750w and case with 4 fans- 2 in, 2 out)if the card is able to survive everyday gaming for atleast 5 years. Which is more difficult if the card's temp is high(and my card would probably fail in the next 2 years, but I can sell the Toxic cooler).

Bulgarian, WoT nick- ivelinv8, War Thunder- BEST_NOOB_BG, GAMING PC: FX-4170; R9 280X TOXIC; 16 GB RAM; Fortron Raider 750W; Raidmax Helios case; WD Green 1TB. 50Mb/s + 50% bonus

it will definitely be quieter, run cooler, and more energy efficient than anything AMD makes...

quadruple performance seems extremely unlikely, its just a dumb rumour

But imagine, if things turn out to be totally reverted!??!?!

now THAT would be amusing.

Actually no. After new information, Pascal is Maxwell revision 2 which due to delays of switching to a smaller manufacturing process, Nvidia decided to continue to work on it meanwhile, instead of turning their thumbs while the actual chip manufacture figures out the issues. So new features are being implemented and things are changed to improve performance and bug fixes are made. Basically, it turned out to be a new model based on a Maxwell architecture, and not just what it was initially planed: Maxwell with a die shrink, maybe a tweak here and there to make it a bit faster, and have bug fixes.

We know it will have HBM technology but no mention if it will be version 1 (4GB limit, like AMD Fury X) or version 2.

And please don't revive old threads for next time :)

I see, thank for update.

• 6 months later...

I think Pascal will be the performance king by a moderate margin. AMD has been struggling to legitimately compete with NVIDIA in the video card market for too long for my prediction to go any other way.