Cutting costs ~100$ from a ~2k$ build

KarlFFF
Go to solution Solved by KarlFFF,

Thanks for all the input everyone, you've all been very helpful.

Solution ended up being a combo of cheaper board and a cheaper psu.

Only way to save on ram was going for 8gb instead of 16gb which would have had me pay 1.25 as much pr. gb and thus not worth it imo.

In any case thanks again everyone!

EDIT: Title budget is based on a sloppy head currency conversion: Budget is more like $1500

I need to shave like $100 or of my build, but can't decide where to compromise :(

The main purpose of the build is gaming.

Here's what I've decided on:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER
Intel Core i5-4690K
Noctua NH-D15
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix 4GB
G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 C10 16GB
Corsair RM550 Gold
Fractal Design Define R5
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB

I am planning to get a solid OC on my cpu (4.5ghz+) - I've gotten a bit of conflicting info on the influence of the mobo for OC. Some say any with a chip-set allowing it will do and some say that good cooling on voltage regulators is a must for a solid OC. I do like the better lan and sound chip on the ranger compared to cheaper boards, but it seems like a good place to shave some cost if any z97 board would do. (Additionally I kinda like the asus BIOS so if an asus mobo and other name mobo do equal I'd go for asus)
I would like my build to be quiet.
Don't think I can go lower on the PSU wattage as there isn't much overhead after OC.
I have two hdds I am planning to move over for big storage.

Get a cheaper board and an EVGA G1/G2 PSU (or some other cheaper psu). 

Any z97 board (From Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock, ignoring Z97m anniversary) will handle overclocking more or less the same (+/- margin of error). 

P.s. you could get away with a 430w psu (although, they're not much cheaper) -- but the RM series is overpriced. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

-snip-

Get a Cooler Master EVO 212 and 8GB of RAM insterad of 16GB.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

-snip-

Is 1600MHz RAM cheaper for you? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Get a cheaper case! Grab the corsair 230t or the H440

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

Mobo, CPU cooler, GPU and RAM

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

16GB of DDR3-2400 is a waste of time for gaming mate, look into 8GB DDR3-1600/1866.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I need to shave like 100$ or of my build, but can't decide where to compromise :(

The main purpose of the build is gaming.

Here's what I've decided on:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER
Intel Core i5-4690K
Noctua NH-D15
ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix 4GB
G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 C10 16GB
Corsair RM550 Gold
Fractal Design Define R5
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB

I am planning to get a solid OC on my cpu (4.5ghz+) - I've gotten a bit of conflicting info on the influence of the mobo for OC. Some say any with a chip-set allowing it will do and some say that good cooling on voltage regulators is a must for a solid OC. I do like the better lan and sound chip on the ranger compared to cheaper boards, but it seems like a good place to shave some cost if any z97 board would do. (Additionally I kinda like the asus BIOS so if an asus mobo and other name mobo do equal I'd go for asus)
I would like my build to be quiet.
Don't think I can go lower on the PSU wattage as there isn't much overhead after OC.
I have two hdds I am planning to move over for big storage.

Cut back on the RAM, you don't really need anything higher than 1600Mhz, and you won't see a benefit from higher clocked ram unless using an APU, which you're not.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Anything ROG is overpriced. If you change the mobo to something cheaper, you could probably save your whole $100 just by doing that there.

If not, cutting down to 1600mhz ram would work fine. 2400 is hella expensive. Going up in speeds is a large waste in money. The price:performance is awful on 2000+ mhz ram. 

A different PSU would also save you money. Corsair PSU's are overpriced. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Cheaper ram, 8gb 1600 or 1866 instead of 16gb 2400. And a cheaper power supply. I would honestly not reccomend the RM series anyways. But just ask yourself. Do you really need 80+ gold or will 80+ bronze be good enough? I think we both know the answer to that question.

Get an Asus Z97-A mobo and a cheaper 500W PSU like a CX500

System: Thinkpad T460

you could save a bit on the ram and a bit on the board if you dont mind losing some of the sex appeal. 

You can definitely buy a lot of stuff that is cheaper and still really good looking

all these mobos more than $100-$150 cheaper than the Ranger

MSI%20Z97%20G5%20Top.png

MSI_Z97_SLI_Krait_Edition_01.jpg

1583910881_1435256450_o.jpg

There is also a lot of nice cheaper RAM

maxresdefault.jpg

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

You can definitely buy a lot of stuff that is cheaper and still really good looking

all these mobos more than $100-$150 cheaper than the Ranger

maxresdefault.jpg

Interesting mobo

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Anything ROG is overpriced. If you change the mobo to something cheaper, you could probably save your whole $100 just by doing that there.

If not, cutting down to 1600mhz ram would work fine. 2400 is hella expensive. Going up in speeds is a large waste in money. The price:performance is awful on 2000+ mhz ram. 

Anything ROG is not overpriced they are unmatched in features that is what you are paying for.

Agree with ram but it does make a small difference

Corsair PSU are about as far from overpriced as you can get they are simply just reliable and quality.  

Go to PC Partpicker and:

1. Go searching for a mobo. Filter "z97" chipset and "2-way SLI capable". Then, sort it by lowest price. Pick the first one that shows up.
  2. Go searching for RAM. Check the "1x4gb", "1x8gb", "2x4gb" and "1x8gb" filters. Then, sort it by "price/gb". Get the cheapest 1600mhz, CAS 9 available.
  3. Go searching for PSU. Check the "80+ gold", "semi" and "full" filters, and put wattage between 500w and 650w. Sort by lowest price. Get the cheapest thing that comes from EVGA, Corsair, Rosewill, XFX or Seasonic.

Also, get the cheapest 256gb SSD that's not the v300. Trust me, they all perform the same.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Is 1600MHz RAM cheaper for you? 

No - cost the same, maybe a tiny bit cheaper but very insignificant

you could save a bit on the ram and a bit on the board if you dont mind losing some of the sex appeal. 

Don't like the looks of cases with windows, so sex appeal is not an issue (except for airflow)

Get a cheaper board and an EVGA G1/G2 PSU (or some other cheaper psu). 

Any z97 board (From Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock, ignoring Z97m anniversary) will handle overclocking more or less the same (+/- margin of error). 

P.s. you could get away with a 430w psu (although, they're not much cheaper) -- but the RM series is overpriced. 

Yea seems cheaper board is the general consensus.

I went for the RM for the fan-less operation at low load and modular feature. Is there a cheaper option with similar functionality?

Get a Cooler Master EVO 212 and 8GB of RAM insterad of 16GB.

The Cooler Master EVO 212 is louder and less efficient than the NH-D15. Not sure it's a compromise I am willing to do.

Halving the ram could do, but seems the consensus is going for a cheaper board, as the board doesn't make much of a difference.

16GB of DDR3-2400 is a waste of time for gaming mate, look into 8GB DDR3-1600/1866.

2400 and 1600/1866 cost the same for me - But I will consider to cutting the amount.

Get a cheaper case! Grab the corsair 230t or the H440

I'll look into those, thanks. Though I do like the good dust filtering in the R5 and the high flexibility of the case with removing bays etc.

Motherboard is uber expensive.

Get a msi KRAIT SLI.

I'll look into cheaper boards then.

Mobo, CPU cooler, GPU and RAM

Not very helpful as you're basically suggesting cutting on everything

Yea people seem to agree that the mobo is the place to cut costs.

1600 and 2400 costs almost the same for me, so no reason to cut it. roughly 5$ difference for going up to 2400 from 1600 and they have the same CAS latency.

True Corsair is expencive, but they have silent operation and is modular which I value quite a bit.

Cheaper ram, 8gb 1600 or 1866 instead of 16gb 2400. And a cheaper power supply. I would honestly not reccomend the RM series anyways. But just ask yourself. Do you really need 80+ gold or will 80+ bronze be good enough? I think we both know the answer to that question.

Only way to cut ram costs is reducing amount, which is a viable option.

gold vs. bronze is not as important as modular and silent operation at low loads. That said the gold should pay off the difference over time and no reason to pull more power than needed.

Get an Asus Z97-A mobo and a cheaper 500W PSU like a CX500

I'll give the z97-A a look.

Go to PC Partpicker and:

1. Go searching for a mobo. Filter "z97" chipset and "2-way SLI capable". Then, sort it by lowest price. Pick the first one that shows up.
  2. Go searching for RAM. Check the "1x4gb", "1x8gb", "2x4gb" and "1x8gb" filters. Then, sort it by "price/gb". Get the cheapest 1600mhz, CAS 9 available.
  3. Go searching for PSU. Check the "80+ gold", "semi" and "full" filters, and put wattage between 500w and 650w. Sort by lowest price. Get the cheapest thing that comes from EVGA, Corsair, Rosewill, XFX or Seasonic.

Also, get the cheapest 256gb SSD that's not the v300. Trust me, they all perform the same.

1. I'll find a cheaper mobo

2. 1600 vs. 2400 is the same price for me - but I'll look into smaller bundles with less ram

3. Like the no fan at low load and modular - Already looked at other options and didn't find an option with the same appeal.

Ok will look into cheaper SSDs

Go with 8GB Ram until you can afford the second stick. Thats $60.And if you do 1600mhz instead of 2400mhz, theres another ~ $30.

Any z97 board will do, but pay more attention to features instead of flash words(Gaming, Professional, Ranger, Hero, etc), and fan header placement(trust me, makes life easier). Yes, I know this place pushes ASUS. And Yes, they ARE good boards. But they are NOT the only good boards. MSI has a history of being military grade. And of you like red, you're gonna love them. Gigabyte has some pretty fancy stuff too.

The processor, you could save some money there, too. Shop on Amazon for deals on either 4670k or 4690k. Official price difference is $2 for 2% difference in performance. But people have been OC'ing the 4670k to 4.6 since it was on a z87 motherboard. So, whichever is cheapest.

@KarlFFF the no fan-mode isn't that important, since any decent psu won't be particularly loud anyway. 

Corsair CX/EVGA B1 series would be my recommendation. Or something better like a 750w EVGA G2 if you wanted to get a really nice (one of the best) modular psu. (Which also happens to have a zero fan mode)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Anything ROG is not overpriced they are unmatched in features that is what you are paying for.

Agree with ram but it does make a small difference

Corsair PSU are about as far from overpriced as you can get they are simply just reliable and quality.  

For the most part, things labeled as "gamer oriented" or "gaming grade" tend to be more expensive, because the demographic of people buying those products can afford to spend more on it. Yeah, ok. The ROG boards have a lot of features. But do you really need all of them? It seems like overkill IMO. The Maximus Ranger has so many things that I would never use. Maybe OP is different, but I don't need 7 USB 2.0 ports and.

As you said, you get the unmatched features for what you're paying, but how many of those features do you actually need?

The difference in RAM performance is negligible and not worth the extra cash IMO. 

Most of Corsair's PSU's are good, but they're still really expensive. You can get EVGA's G2 power supplies, which are rebranded Super Flower's (arguably the best PSU manufacturer), for cheaper than the competing Corsair units. Plus the EVGA PSU's come with a 10 year warranty (5 years on the NEX)

The RM series from Corsair is not the best power supply either. It's pretty poor, actually. Thermal issues seem to plague the lower wattage models. They also have CapXxon capacitors for the secondary capacitors. These capacitors are bad quality, which is not something you want, especially in a high end power supply. 

I'm not bagging on Corsair PSU's (the AX is a rebranded Seasonic KM3, which is a really good unit. HX isn't bad either), but the RM is trash. Overpriced trash at that. 

Corsair is kinda like Apple. They know their stuff is really good, so they make people pay more for it. It may be a really good product, but you can get similarly performing items for less. 

Sry, actually meant PSU not GPU. I find you have mostly overkill parts.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

This is well under $2K assuming those are US $$$. Is the list in your opening post over $2K ? as it shouldn't be.

As already mentioned, you can go with a cheaper board if you want to cut it down further.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($296.37 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($125.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($328.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1380.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-22 20:28 EST-0500

This is well under $2K assuming those are US $$$. Is the list in your opening post over $2K ? as it shouldn't be.

As already mentioned, you can go with a cheaper board if you want to cut it down further.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Micro Center) 
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($86.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($296.37 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($125.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($118.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($328.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1380.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-22 20:28 EST-0500

Sorry $2k was a sloppy head conversion from my local currency, a proper one puts the build budget at $1500. I didn't realize the US$ had gone op by so much again compared to the Danish crown.

Thanks for all the input everyone, you've all been very helpful.

Solution ended up being a combo of cheaper board and a cheaper psu.

Only way to save on ram was going for 8gb instead of 16gb which would have had me pay 1.25 as much pr. gb and thus not worth it imo.

In any case thanks again everyone!