Do you need expensive peripherals?

Charlie Clarke

I recently bought a $4 wireless mouse off ebay and it works great for gaming. Then just today I bought this really good keyboard with about 2 meters of travel in the keys and a nice sound for $15 (called the genius kb-110) and it raises the question, do you have to spend $400 on gaming peripherals? Obviously spending a bit of money on a nice 1080p monitor is good, but keyboard and mouse? Also what keyboard and mouse do you use?

EDIT - If i was going to spend a lot of money I would get an expensive mechanical keyboard

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

ya, I didn't at first but once you use them it's hard to go back :P

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

i usually buy midrange gaming mice and the cheapest keyboard i can find... since i have a tendency to occasionally smash my fist down on it :/

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I recently bought a $4 wireless mouse off ebay and it works great for gaming. Then just today I bought this really good keyboard with about 2 meters of travel in the keys and a nice sound for $15 (called the genius kb-110) and it raises the question, do you have to spend $400 on gaming peripherals? Obviously spending a bit of money on a nice 1080p monitor is good, but keyboard and mouse? Also what keyboard and mouse do you use?

No, its more of a preference. I use a Gigabyte Aivia M8600 mouse and CM Quickfire Rapid for gaming, and an OEM Acer mouse and K70 for web browsing(and what not).

RGB led's are nice. Other than that - if you have large palms, you'll need to spend a bit more $$$ on a mouse

Not really after a certain point it's more of the brand and some bling they have, but there does come a certain comfort/ergonomics with better designed mice and keyboards, not to mention better quality components inside which usually just give more adjustability better tracking and accuracy.

I don't think it's a quality thing as much as it's a "why not spend "50/60/70/80/90/100/whatever on a device that'll last me a few upgrades" thing. Especially when mechanical keyboards can last almost anything other then having water spilt on them, it kind of make sense to perhaps invest a little (if you're ok with mechanical keyswitches or whatever. For all I know, the cheap stuff could be the best in the world according to you).

As for what I use, a Ducky Shine Zero with MX brown switches that I very much love, and a Logitech G700S which is OK.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

what you need =/= what you want

Yes you could game with 4$ mouse.... but you can make the same argument about everything in life, and start living like a monk.

No, but a G500 mouse with customizable weights and a RGB K70 with Browns sure make everything better :D

Do you need to? No.

Do I want to for the sake of something that is built better and feels better to use (imo)? Yes

As someone already mentioned: What you need =/= What you want.

As for my KB/M

KB: Corsair K70 MX Blues.

M: Cougar 700M

what you need =/= what you want

Yes you could game with 4$ mouse.... but you can make the same argument about everything in life, and start living like a monk

But unlike a new gpu, it wont give me better fps if i spend $400 on a mouse with rgb lighting adn 1ms response time

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

But unlike a new gpu, it wont give me better fps if i spend $400 on a mouse with rgb lighting adn 1ms response time

No1 said 400$, my mouse is 30$ and I love it. I use to have 5$ before that and I can defensively see the difference.

Also good mouse can give you some advantages if you are a competitive gamer.

Its hard to draw the line, where you start paying for useless things. If you pay 50$ only so that your mouse colors match the rest of your build is a bit extreme, but "gaming" on a 4$ wireless mouse and saying its good...also kinda extreme.

So long as it works.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

I've progressed all the way up the ranks in peripherals, from a membrane keyboard in my laptop along with a tiny ass wired mouse, to a cheap Cherry MX Red keyboard and wireless Logitech mouse that was really ergonomic, to now a K70 RGB with Cherry MX Browns and a Func MS-3 R2 which is eve more ergonomic with more buttons and a better texture to it. 

It's not a necessity, and won't boost your K/D by anything dramatic, but there will be those times where it will be the reason as to why you win a gun fight, or just makes it that much easier to play a game because of the extra buttons, variable DPI, macros and keyswitches. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Then just today I bought this really good keyboard with about 2 meters of travel

That must be the tallest keyboard ever :o

I LOVE my G402, and I probably don't NEED it, but the optical sensor is nice for 400DPI :)

I really want a mechanical keyboard, since this one sucks :/

Dont care a ton about mice though (using a 13 year old mouse at the moment)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I want the best peripherals :P 
That doens't mean they are the most expensive (but usualy are)
I want nice monitor(s), nice mouse, nice keyboard, nice headphones, nice desk and nice chair. Even if i had the best computer in the world, it wouldn't be pleasurable to use it if i hadn't nice peripherals

Also, peripherals doens't need "upgrade" (or at least you don't need to upgrade them often)

I use cheap logitech stuff, cleaning the keboard is easy. All you have to do is bang it on one side until the shit comes out.

Rose's are red violets are blue, without computers I'd know not what to do.

No, you don't NEED expensive stuff. Also, how can a keyboard have 2 metres of travel distance? You probally mean 2 MILLIMETRES (mm), right? I like to buy a mid-high end stuff but nothing crazy. My keyboard is the CM storm Quickfire tk (80eur) and the mouse is a logitech g502 (72eur) but you can use some random 10$ keyboard as well but for the mouse I like to spend something more for the ergonomics and maybe 2 side buttons

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I really want a mechanical keyboard, since this one sucks :/

Dont care a ton about mice though (using a 13 year old mouse at the moment)

Pics pls? I'm really curious

Longboarders/ skaters message me!